Pocono-Jeep

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Sport S, Dodge Durango
Hey folks,

First post here on the forums - looking forward to talking to everyone here more. Also first time jeep owner so total newbie. I'm in the process of ordering a gladiator and I'm unsure about which way to go with the top. I would prefer the soft top, but I'm a bit worried about our weather here in North East PA combined with no garage to store it in. Can anyone share their experiences with using the soft top in this scenario? My biggest concerns are no defroster on the back windshield and losing visibility there, and also snow piling up on the soft top roof and bending the bars. We see 2 feet of snow and sub-zero temps fairly regularly in our winters here. Thanks!
Sponsored

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland EcoDiesel
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
The only thing I'd say is that with the plastic window you have to be very cautious because it'll scratch easily. So you won't be able to "help" it thaw out faster. Just throw the heater on and let it go. I don't think the top itself will be damaged from snow. In the rare case that you actually get 2 feet, you could brush it off periodically.

Jowen

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Rubicon Cherokee an x2 2020 jt rubicon
I depends on your preference, soft tops more noise, harder to heat or cool, hard tops less noise, rear defroster and wiper for the shifty days. I like hard tops because I have a hearing loss and for me to hear the radio and to talk on the cell. Having been in open top or no top for over 20 years, I like hard tops, if married all ways ask the wife, if mama is not happy no one is happy.

lookitsadam

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
If you can afford the dual top option and have a place to keep your hardtop during the summer that's your best of both worlds scenario. I'll always prefer the hard top, as I rarely remove the rear portion anyway and like the added security factor.

OP
OP

Pocono-Jeep

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Sport S, Dodge Durango
Thanks folks. This is all really helpful. As long as the soft top isn't a total suicide mission in harsh winters I think I would prefer that route. I think I can put up with the drawbacks if they make it way easier to just strip her down and open everything up on a whim.

Sponsored

Mowat

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator
I've run a soft top on my JK for 5 years. TrekTop Pro. So I have glass and defroster but it's twill everywhere else.. I've had 3 feet of snow on top of it at one point The top will take it no problem and the heaters are plenty good enough to handle it.

Bekah

First Name
Rebecca
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
Many years ago, we had a couple of older Wranglers with only soft tops when we still lived in upstate New York with the lake effect snows and no garage options. We didn't have any issues, I remember shoving up on the top to knock snow off, LOL. Will a hardtop ultimately be the best in Winter? Yes, I'm sure, if for nothing else but comfort. But is it ultimately going to be damaging or miserable with a soft top? Not at all.

I currently have the premium soft top and love it because of how easy it is just to open it and close it whenever I want. Not to mention I also prefer the look of it. I know Joe has contemplated getting a hardtop for winter but with spending our time between Virginia and Tennessee mostly now with far less severe winters, I'm going to suggest that we wait until next year and try it out this winter as is before making the investment.

smlobx

First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTR, F-350 diesel, Porsche Spyder, Model Y
Occupation
Semi retired consultant

Sponsored

lrtexasman

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tahoe
Thanks folks. This is all really helpful. As long as the soft top isn't a total suicide mission in harsh winters I think I would prefer that route. I think I can put up with the drawbacks if they make it way easier to just strip her down and open everything up on a whim.
Hardtop with sun rider option

Trippin01

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lexus RX450h, 23' Supra
Occupation
Deputy Sheriff & Retired Army
Vehicle Showcase
I'm heading into winter with my JT ragtop. I'll let you know in a few months.... I'm not to worried tho, the heater rocks. I'm in Idaho

Last edited:

jimcald

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Firecracker Red Rubicon JT
I had a 2007 JKU with the vinyl soft top and it never saw the inside of the garage here in Michigan and did just fine. What I would often do is wait until there were no cars behind me at 55mph and give the top a few taps from the inside to get any ice and snow to come off. As others have said though, be careful of the plastic rear window, it will scratch (learned that the hard way on my JKU). I have the premium soft top on my JT and it will also be living outside and I am sure it will do fine as long as I wash the salt off on a regular basis.

My wife has a Mustang GT convertible with the premium top which appears to be identical material to the JT premium soft top and it held up really well to the salt if we gave it a bath every week or so when she had to drive it in the winter for two winters.

mazeppa

First Name
y= x/0
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR Panda
Occupation
knife sharpening snob
Good advice from the real winter experienced people on this forum, in you position I would go with the premium soft top.

BUT, if you get a hard top you can always easily get a soft top later, a lot more difficult and expensive to get a hardtop later.

Proximo

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport Max
With no garage, you have nowhere to store the hardtop. I never had any problem, in Michigan, with my JK BesTop softtop. My new JT soft top will be my only top. Remote start, and the rear window is vertical. So, no snow/ice build up on the rear window to scratch it. Sure, is nice getting out of work on 80° day and flipping open the entire top.
Sponsored