Worst Dealership Ever! New windshield install info

KAT

First Name
Kristin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Happy Friday! I posted in here a while back about taking our gladiator to the dealership for start/stop issues, speaker issues, etc. We've struggled with the dealership to fix these things over the past couple years after numerous visits. They say it's fixed and come get it, but it still has the issues. Most recently, it's been in 2 weeks now and finally got the call today to come get it. I get in it and there is a huge crack in our windshield. I know cracks are common but it definitely wasn't there when I dropped it off and definitely happened at the dealership in the past couple days. They gave pushback on not replacing it and providing a rental but finally they said they would. We have the Active Safety/Adaptive Cruise Control/Collision Warning options installed currently. Is there anything we need to keep our eyes out for after the install to make sure it all was done correctly? This is the shadiest dealership who does the bare minimum so you really have to know what needs to be done and the correct way to do it.
Sponsored

johnparjr

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Not really much as they will install the new glass just check how they sealed it around the edges but my guess would be they farm it out to a glass company as most dealers Ive seen don't do that kind of work.

kevman65

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
J
Dealership won't do it. SafeLite or such will do the repair.

As to the ACC, if there was no impact to the windshield or frame right at the sensor location, no recalibration is necessary.

OP
OP
KAT

KAT

First Name
Kristin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Not really much as they will install the new glass just check how they sealed it around the edges but my guess would be they farm it out to a glass company as most dealers Ive seen don't do that kind of work.
I know they are ordering a new one from Jeep but not sure who will be doing the install.

OP
OP
KAT

KAT

First Name
Kristin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Dealership won't do it. SafeLite or such will do the repair.

As to the ACC, if there was no impact to the windshield or frame right at the sensor location, no recalibration is necessary.
They are ordering a new one (replacement) from Jeep.

Sponsored

Volt0

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTM,JTHA
I’m not a lawyer, but my understanding in Missouri is that if a scenario like that happens, do NOT take it off the premises. If you do, then you’re responsible. If you leave it on prem, then you can file a claim under their insurance. I had a similar thing happen with a small outfit 20 some odd years ago. Might depend on the state statutes.

OP
OP
KAT

KAT

First Name
Kristin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
I’m not a lawyer, but my understanding in Missouri is that if a scenario like that happens, do NOT take it off the premises. If you do, then you’re responsible. If you leave it on prem, then you can file a claim under their insurance. I had a similar thing happen with a small outfit 20 some odd years ago. Might depend on the state statutes.
They actually tried to get us to take it home and I refused for this reason. It's been there for 2 weeks already and now it will sit for another few weeks until the replacement windshield arrives but they are very shady and I didn't want them trying anything to get out of paying for the new windshield. Their fault, not ours.

Sponsored

OP
OP
KAT

KAT

First Name
Kristin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
What dealer ?
West Hills in Bremerton. We've had several other issues with them since we've been taking it there 1.5 years ago. Sadly, they are the only dealership here on the Kitsap Peninsula.

Jefe1018

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JT Rubi Ecodiesel
Build Thread
Link
Things happen. If I were to give them the benefit of the doubt, my guess is that they drove it after fixing whatever issue you took it to them for and it got hit with a rock of sorts and the crack developed over the next few hours and they had no idea it was there and whomever drove the vehicle up to the driveway for you had no idea that crack was new.

Hope your JT experience gets better.

Volt0

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTM,JTHA
Things happen. If I were to give them the benefit of the doubt, my guess is that they drove it after fixing whatever issue you took it to them for and it got hit with a rock of sorts and the crack developed over the next few hours and they had no idea it was there and whomever drove the vehicle up to the driveway for you had no idea that crack was new.

Hope your JT experience gets better.
yip, that sounds totally reasonable. On more than 1 occasion, I’ve seen a rock flung out and forward, from my own front tire, like a curve ball that went upwards, that hit my own windshield. Now, after wheeling, I carry a screw driver with me and try to get the rocks out, even up to a few days later. This mostly pertains to the AT tires and MT tires.

So to the OP, look for any paint scratches around the windshield from the removal process, ensure windshield wipers are reinstalled, make sure it’s the correct windshield type ( big black section in the middle ), and clear out your front tires [ if applicable ].

QuintusMaximus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL, 2022 JT
Agreed that it's possible there was a chip that just hadn't spread yet. Broken windshields are just common on our jts.
Sponsored