Would you feel comfortable towing...

Curtjeep

First Name
Curtis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JTD Overland
That’s not a max tow. There is no max tow on Willys.
Its a sport s with willys wheels and stickers. Not a willys.
Sponsored

334gladiatordiesel

First Name
Dalton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator ecoDIESEL
Just loading up for our trip back home. MPG 2500BH. Dry weight is 5,800 lbs. I pull it virtually empty. Towed great on its maiden voyage. My truck is an Overland Diesel using a WD hitch and anti-sway bar.
Jeep Gladiator Would you feel comfortable towing... CC8A0316-508C-41DE-B23A-AFA3BFB33342

Josh00333

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Freedom
Build Thread
Link
Unloaded 4900 is going to be some place around 5300 w propane, batteries, ac, options etc from the dealer.

Add in 1/2 tank of water call it 120 pounds.
Add your cooking items, pots pans, dishes, silver ware, paper towels, regular towels, bedding, normal just junk. 150 pounds.
Food, beer, water, soda 100 pounds
BBQ grill? 100 pounds
Clothes etc for the trip 75 pounds for the two of you.
Miss gear, cords, leveling blocks, sewer, wheel chocks 75 pounds
Total 620

Generator?
Fuel?
Bike and gear?
Fishing gear?
Hunting gear?

Now your at 5920

Now truck payload Rubi 1100?
12% tong -710
You and wife dressed for the road -300?
WD Hitch -75
Winch?
Aftermarket farkles?
Tools?
Fire wood?
Your at 15 before any of that.

Lets not mention the frontal area you are over, 8' wide trailer? 64'sq manual says max 55.

Answer is you will be under the actual tow rating by apx 1k, most likely over loaded on the truck weight rating, and over on frontal area. 1 out of 3 over loaded.

Me? I would get a smaller trailer 20' or less and one 7.5' wide or 7' wide. Catch is there are not a lot of those and it rules out a lot of things people want, or add to the want list as they shop.

I say the same thing on every one of there threads. 75% of the guys in this forum are over weight, and overloaded. But you get what you paid for on my option, and ya know we all have one 😁

Would you feel comfortable towing a dual axle camper that weighs 4900 #'s unloaded with a tongue weight of 525#'s giving the obvious of brake controller and sway bars and maybe WD system with a Rubicon? Trying to decide on a camper for the wife and I.

TrailHiker

First Name
Denny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator JT Sport S, Black 1946 CJ 2A
I agree, a 7.5’ Wide Travel trailer is about as wide as you want to go. Ideally, your trailer wheel track should match the rear wheels on the TV. That is why the big 3/4 trucks used to tow the larger TVs have dual rear wheels to handle the load dynamic.
The frontal area limit will be exceed on most larger RVs before you max out the weight limits Of the JT.
Cheers

Glad_he_ate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 gladiator Willie's ecodiesel
Occupation
Union electrician
I’m pretty comfortable at 8 wide 30ish long and loaded for a three day weekend. The cat tickets are one fully loaded with the whole family and three days of firewood food clothes 40 gallons fresh water two 850cca deep cycle batteries solar on the roof twin propane tanks full aka the works. The lesser weight was everything minus the water.
now this is what I would be weighing at absolute max I actually travel with no fire wood and about 1/3rd tank of water so I can poo or make lunch wash up and whatever while on the rd. I use a centerline hitch and echo brake controller.
SO yes I’d be comfortable with what your looking at
Jeep Gladiator Would you feel comfortable towing... 328F8672-342A-4A2D-B447-5A8353B66BB8
Jeep Gladiator Would you feel comfortable towing... 5E2C8FEE-265B-4881-9955-2C684160E753

Jeep Gladiator Would you feel comfortable towing... 5595B771-0EE2-4A96-A99C-0C64C6FB1A62

Sponsored

Curtjeep

First Name
Curtis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JTD Overland
Got the weight ticket. It's in the green. Under GAWR fr and rr and under weight for the trailer and GCWR. I will let you guys know after we come back on Sunday how the trip went. It's a 720 mile round trip. On a side note, the camper is fully loaded right now except food which we will get when we get there.

16375272980386071029712098152295.jpg

Josh00333

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Freedom
Build Thread
Link
Unless I'm looking at the wrong speck sheet, Whiles are GCVWR 9500 and towing capacity is 4500?

If so you GCVWR is almost 2k over and your towing over your tow rating.

You may be comfortable, but you're over almost every spec your truck has.

Diesel w Stickers :rock:

I’m pretty comfortable at 8 wide 30ish long and loaded for a three day weekend. The cat tickets are one fully loaded with the whole family and three days of firewood food clothes 40 gallons fresh water two 850cca deep cycle batteries solar on the roof twin propane tanks full aka the works. The lesser weight was everything minus the water.
now this is what I would be weighing at absolute max I actually travel with no fire wood and about 1/3rd tank of water so I can poo or make lunch wash up and whatever while on the rd. I use a centerline hitch and echo brake controller.
SO yes I’d be comfortable with what your looking at
5E2C8FEE-265B-4881-9955-2C684160E753.jpeg

Last edited:

Curtjeep

First Name
Curtis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JTD Overland
In my previous post. I stated that it is a sport s with willys stickers wheels and grill. My wife liked the willys on the lot I wanted the max tow if we couldn't get the diesel, so we compromised and ordered the wheels and decals and had the grill painted. The sliders came off of a buddys gladiator.

Glad_he_ate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Union electrician
Tow rating is 6500 axel rating as fallows
Jeep Gladiator Would you feel comfortable towing... 992FB414-7592-45E3-B2EE-5E157DCB755A

Glad_he_ate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Union electrician
Gcwr per manual diesel sport with tow package 12100

Sponsored

Glad_he_ate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Union electrician
Willys falls under sport trim

Glad_he_ate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Union electrician
Might need to add a little more transfer of the weight with the hitch. Try where your at but if the front feels even a touch lite then I’d put a little more adjustment into the hitch. Adds a little more to the front axel. Check your axel rating on the door pillar. Try to adjust your ratio of added weight to both axels evenly. Don’t want too much on any one axel.
Got the weight ticket. It's in the green. Under GAWR fr and rr and under weight for the trailer and GCWR. I will let you guys know after we come back on Sunday how the trip went. It's a 720 mile round trip. On a side note, the camper is fully loaded right now except food which we will get when we get there.

Jeep Gladiator Would you feel comfortable towing... 992FB414-7592-45E3-B2EE-5E157DCB755A

dcmdon

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Having towed stuff around for 30 years I still think the answer is "it depends".

Weight distributing hitch is a requirement.

Frontal area is not relevant if you are willing to drive slowly. Aerodynamic drag is directly proportional to frontal area. Drag increases as a square function of speed. So slow down and the truck doesn't know whether you are towing a 40 sq ft trailer at 75 or an 80 sq ft trailer at 55.

How far you are towing is important. I've towed a 3000 lb load of lumber behind my wife's car rated for 3850 lbs for 5 hours and it was tiring. The trailer pushed the car around a lot. Every expansion joint or frost heave made me cringe. It was miserable. But if it was an hour on back roads it wouldn't have been so bad.

I've also towed a 1600 lb race car on a FeatherLight trailer with a total weight of about 2900 lbs behind a dual rear wheel GMC 2500 all the way from CT to Summit Point, WV. It was a lovely ride. You hardly knew the trailer was even there.

For me, I can tolerate lack of power or even the need to go slowly to keep the temps in the green. The thing that makes me nervous is when I feel the tow vehicle getting pushed around by the trailer. That's when it gets unpleasant. The tail wagging the dog syndrome. ha.

But even then getting pushed around at 30 mph around town for a run to get gravel at the tow limits of the vehicle is fine. A 5 hour ride like that on the Interstate is dangerous and miserable.

Curtjeep

First Name
Curtis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JTD Overland
Might need to add a little more transfer of the weight with the hitch. Try where your at but if the front feels even a touch lite then I’d put a little more adjustment into the hitch. Adds a little more to the front axel. Check your axel rating on the door pillar. Try to adjust your ratio of added weight to both axels evenly. Don’t want too much on any one axel.
Yeah, I noticed that. I didn't tighten the wd up as much as I should have. It was only the second time I moved the camper with it. I will pull out the tape measure and get it dialed in a little better before we roll out.
Sponsored