Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Rubicon
Occupation
Manager
Jeep Gladiator WTF? Screen toast? IMG_9448
Jeep Gladiator WTF? Screen toast? IMG_9449
Jeep Gladiator WTF? Screen toast? IMG_9450
Got out of work, truck was parked all day.
3321 miles and I’ve never touched anything electrical in this truck.

Voltage yesterday was swapping from 12.8-13.4 mostly 12.8 even at highway speeds.
Jeep Gladiator WTF? Screen toast? IMG_9452

I figured I was due for a battery so was planning to stop in Monday but now this? It started white and just got progressively black.
WTF

well, at least it’s a warranty fix.
Sponsored

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Gladiator High Altitude - 2013 Nissan Leaf SV
Vehicle Showcase
12.8 to 13.4 when running is normal with good batteries, it shows they are charged.

You could try rebooting the head unit, pull the fuse or disconnect both batteries, and see if the screen goes back to normal. It will take up to 24 hours for it to fully recover.

Hootbro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon
Keep in mind there is a chance you will get a refurb head unit when you get it warranty replaced.

jn2275

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gobi Mojave
I had the exact same thing happen to my screen last August when I was 2000 miles from home. In my case I started the Jeep and the section was white. I drove around a few hours and it slowly turned black then slowly back to normal and hasn't happened again since.

Jeep Gladiator WTF? Screen toast? PXL_20230811_151428236
Jeep Gladiator WTF? Screen toast? PXL_20230811_200307509

OP
OP
starrskream

starrskream

First Name
E
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Rubicon
Occupation
Manager
Keep in mind there is a chance you will get a refurb head unit when you get it warranty replaced.
with only 3200 ish miles they better not. not acceptable.

Sponsored

OP
OP
starrskream

starrskream

First Name
E
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Rubicon
Occupation
Manager
12.8 to 13.4 when running is normal with good batteries, it shows they are charged.

You could try rebooting the head unit, pull the fuse or disconnect both batteries, and see if the screen goes back to normal. It will take up to 24 hours for it to fully recover.
I assumed as much, the concerning part was that stomping the gas to high rpm's did not bring it from 12.8 to anything higher. It stayed at 12.8 for an hour driving at 70mph at or above 2000rpm. My battery is normally 13.4 and solid. Im not so much concerned about the voltage as the part where it does not seem to go back up from 12.8.

This is very similar to what happened in my KL before i had to replace the battery. I think i may be due soon as im betting this truck sat on the dealer lot for several weeks/ months without being started.

that is what led me to think its related to the screen, electrical problem 1 and then this screen thing.

Hootbro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon
with only 3200 ish miles they better not. not acceptable.
The language is in the Warranty booklet that allows them to do it. Whether that is customer elective, well that is discussion between you and your dealer.

4.1 EXCHANGED PARTS MAY BE USED IN WARRANTY REPAIRS
In the interest of customer satisfaction, FCA US LLC may offer exchange
service on some vehicle parts. This service is intended to reduce the
amount of time your vehicle is not available for your use because of
repairs. Parts used in exchange service may be new, remanufactured,
reconditioned, or repaired, depending on the part involved.

All exchange parts that might be used meet FCA US LLC standards, and
have the same warranties as new parts.

Examples of the kinds of parts that might be serviced in this way are:
• Engine Assemblies
• Transmission Assemblies
• Instrument Cluster Assemblies
Radios, CD and DVD players
• Speedometers
• Powertrain Control Module (PCM)

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I assumed as much, the concerning part was that stomping the gas to high rpm's did not bring it from 12.8 to anything higher. It stayed at 12.8 for an hour driving at 70mph at or above 2000rpm. My battery is normally 13.4 and solid. Im not so much concerned about the voltage as the part where it does not seem to go back up from 12.8.

This is very similar to what happened in my KL before i had to replace the battery. I think i may be due soon as im betting this truck sat on the dealer lot for several weeks/ months without being started.

that is what led me to think its related to the screen, electrical problem 1 and then this screen thing.
The JT/JL have a 'smart' charging system. The output is controlled by the computer. It is not fixed, or tied to engine speed, like older systems. What you are seeing is normal behavior. You should see something in the 13.x or 14.x range when starting after sitting for a while. When the batteries get charged, it will drop to as low as 12.8 until there is an electrical demand for more.

GI Grandpa

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
US Army Retired, BOD Memmber of CO4WDA, COHVCO and CORE, Volunteer with Stay the Trail and Tread Lightly
Got out of work, truck was parked all day.
3321 miles and I’ve never touched anything electrical in this truck.

Voltage yesterday was swapping from 12.8-13.4 mostly 12.8 even at highway speeds.

I figured I was due for a battery so was planning to stop in Monday but now this? It started white and just got progressively black.
WTF

well, at least it’s a warranty fix.
I am on my fourth one in three years ?

OP
OP
starrskream

starrskream

First Name
E
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Rubicon
Occupation
Manager
The JT/JL have a 'smart' charging system. The output is controlled by the computer. It is not fixed, or tied to engine speed, like older systems. What you are seeing is normal behavior. You should see something in the 13.x or 14.x range when starting after sitting for a while. When the batteries get charged, it will drop to as low as 12.8 until there is an electrical demand for more.
good to know. So the alternator isn’t constantly charging the battery?
however in my case, I had the climate off, headlights off, screen off and no electronics were charging. So I could see if it went up. There was little to no demand. Also got the “start stop not ready”

so the only real draw was the drl

Sponsored

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
good to know. So the alternator isn’t constantly charging the battery?
however in my case, I had the climate off, headlights off, screen off and no electronics were charging. So I could see if it went up. There was little to no demand. Also got the “start stop not ready”

so the only real draw was the drl
With everything turned off, that would be the expected behavior. If you had turned everything on, it should have changed to cover the increased demand.

The start/stop not ready is an issue that needs looked at. Did the ESS screen give a reason for it?

TheSolarWizard

First Name
Memphis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
3.0 JT
Occupation
Solar & EV infrastructure
Im sad to see this is still an issue. I knew about it when I ordered my JT so I kept the 7”. I think that screen is standard now though

OP
OP
starrskream

starrskream

First Name
E
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Rubicon
Occupation
Manager
With everything turned off, that would be the expected behavior. If you had turned everything on, it should have changed to cover the increased demand.

The start/stop not ready is an issue that needs looked at. Did the ESS screen give a reason for it?
Nope, just said not ready. Which is part of why I’m thinking battery. Going to dealer tomorrow
Sponsored