Sponsored

300A Winch Fuse

JWM PLAYS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Gladiator
Installed some cheap peace of mind on the wife’s winch lead today.
Jeep Gladiator 300A Winch Fuse 70BFAFF1-1479-4EE4-90E8-A2B675E76F4B
Sponsored

NCJL

First Name
Dean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLURD
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Electrical
That’s a Blue Sea product. They make great products. Amazon.

Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Just remember - under certain situations some winches will draw more than 300 amps.........

Rusty PW

First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTRD, '11 370Z Nismo, '07 Honda VFR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Muff Diver
OP
OP

JWM PLAYS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Gladiator
Just remember - under certain situations some winches will draw more than 300 amps.........
Yeah I did the math on it. Full tilt is about 360A. We will see how it goes. It’s not going to see a lot of heavy use I don’t think. If it creates a problem, I’ll change it out for a disconnect switch.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah I did the math on it. Full tilt is about 360A. We will see how it goes. It’s not going to see a lot of heavy use I don’t think. If it creates a problem, I’ll change it out for a disconnect switch.
I run a disconnect regardless of having a fuse or not.
I know some view the fuse as a replacement, but I've seen things happen that don't blow fuses or fusible links but still make trouble.
If you are out and about, need that winch, and blow the fuse........... if you don't have a spare, you don't have a winch.

Sponsored

OP
OP

JWM PLAYS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Gladiator
I know some view the fuse as a replacement, but I've seen things happen that don't blow fuses or fusible links but still make trouble.
If you are out and about, need that winch, and blow the fuse........... if you don't have a spare, you don't have a winch.
I hear you. The company I work for is one of the largest distributors of fuses in the country. I have spares in the glove box. We’re going to the OHV next weekend. I’ll report back if it blows a fuse.

Summitsearcher

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Stingrey JTR
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I’m afraid I don’t understand, forgive me. What does a fusible link offer that a disconnect does not in relation to using the winch?

OP
OP

JWM PLAYS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Gladiator
I’m afraid I don’t understand, forgive me. What does a fusible link offer that a disconnect does not in relation to using the winch?
The disconnect won't automatically open the circuit in the vent of a dead short. The fuse will. Both have their pros and cons. The fuse basically serves a a weak link to open the circuit should an issue occur. If you had a disconnect and no fuse, if you had a direct short while the disconnect was closed, you're likely going to have an out of control fire on your hands in a matter of seconds.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
The disconnect won't automatically open the circuit in the vent of a dead short. The fuse will. Both have their pros and cons. The fuse basically serves a a weak link to open the circuit should an issue occur. If you had a disconnect and no fuse, if you had a direct short while the disconnect was closed, you're likely going to have an out of control fire on your hands in a matter of seconds.
But you won't have the disconnect closed unless winching, so that doesn't wash.
The "dead short" would be while the winch was not in use, and while driving - times when the disconnect is open.
And a fuse will only blow when you reach its rating - in this case 300 amps. You can have a wear-through or a pinch that allows a lot of amperage, but not enough to blow a fuse, and still have trouble.
I've been in auto-electric for 50 years and I have seen cases where the fuse won't blow, but wires get hot enough to melt insulation and cause adjacent wires to melt or burn. It happens. In fact, a member screwed up plugging his trailer in and melted wires but never blew that 30 amp fuse on the 12v wire to the back.

The ideal is both. Fuse if you overload the wiring with a draw that's too high, and the disconnect to protect if you get hit while on the road.

My wiring is sized so that it will handle any normal winch use - up to the rated draw of the winch.
If the winch blows and burns out and pulls more than the wiring will handle, that's where a fuse would come in.
Otherwise, a disconnect has you covered for the entire time the winch isn't being used - which for most people is 99.99998% of the time.

I skipped the fuse because the only time there could possibly be an issue would be while using the winch - and with a new winch, and my likelihood of the winch drawing more than the wires can handle while I am using it is all but nil.

Kill the disconnect and then the one and only time you can have any issue is while actually using the winch - if you blow up the winch and it causes a dead short. But if you see the winch smoke or start to get hot - STOP! Duh. They'll take a heck of a lot of abuse but don't be stupid and stubborn and try to pull a 20,000 load with a 12,000 pound winch on the outer layer.