bgenlvtex

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
Does any winch fit that plate?
it is a 10"x4.5" bolt pattern, and configured for a center mount winch.

"All" winches do not share those attributes, but "most" do.

From there the height, width and depth of the winch in question will come into play. There is no "one size fits all" where this stuff is concerned, and it is worth noting that it will be very difficult if not impossible to remove the grille with a winch mounted using this (or most other) plates in an oem steel bumper. This is easily remedied by removing the lower center retaining tabs on the grille.
Sponsored

Blade1668

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
90XJ, 91XJ, 91MJ, 05 LJ, 20 JT
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Great info, where are located? I’ve hit up Ocala a few times. Jeeptoberfest there is great too.
I’ll be buying a 12k winch, selling the synthetic line It comes with, and buying my own synthetic line. I already have a snatch block, extension, tree strap and standard straps.
Dang slow response... Lost in posts I'm in N. AL now was there back when the "Rubicon" was a new trim level. Went down to meet up with a new Rubicon owner and run a trail with them.

Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Since they likely don't make winches, I wonder who makes their winches? Like a lot of things, only a few companies actually manufacture.

Still very happy with Apex

hjdca

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Rubicon manual Sting Gray
Build Thread
Link
I was wondering what size and brand winch folks are getting for the JT. I got a Warn Zeon 10K Others?
I am the minority and bought the Warn Zeon Platinum 10s. I love the wireless and have it plugged in ready to go. I also run 2 sets of rock lights off the Warn Platinum (comes with two light switches on the remote) and turn them on with the wireless. I have used it about 20 times or so, only twice for myself. It has been bullet proof and a nice super high speed.
Wireless free-spool and winching is super convenient. I got turtled on a huge mountain, where I cold not even open my door, nor probably stand on the hill. I was just near the crest, so, a member of our 4WD group came down the hill, grabbed my winch line (which I free spool remotely) and hooked it up to his rear bumper. I pulled myself off the turtle and never left the drivers seat. That is the situation where the Platinum is much appreciated.

Jeep Gladiator What winch? ui8pvC

tonywin

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator
I'm torn between the Apex Badlands 12k with synthetic from HF or the Smittybilt X20 Gen2 synthetic 10k. Waiting for a HF coupon or if I can get the Smitty cheaper.

Prescottmojave

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Retired
I went for weight savings as I have a Mojave. Warn EVO 8S and a Rock Hard aluminum bumper as I flat tow the JTM. Both have been awesome.

Sponsored

Divided_Wood

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT Rubicon EcoDiesel
I'm torn between the Apex Badlands 12k with synthetic from HF or the Smittybilt X20 Gen2 synthetic 10k. Waiting for a HF coupon or if I can get the Smitty cheaper.
For what it’s worth… I have X2Os on both my trucks and love them. Pulled myself a few miles with one of them after blowing up a diff. And the other has worked flawlessly everywhere I’ve used it.

BoomerangJ

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Newbie here. Started researching winches yesterday. I've googled around and read this thread(found this forum and joined it for this reason-thank you all for being here). I have a 2022 Gladiator Mojave. For my use model I like the idea of a receiver mounted winch. I am not a rock climber nor a mudder-desert trails is my use model. I have the trailer package so I have a rear mounted receiver. I have the Curt front mount receiver on order-I realize I will have to cut my steel skid plate to fit. My first need for a winch was to pull my Jeep backwards. Had I been by myself a front mounted winch would not have been of use-it was a high point and would have been difficult to run the line under the vehicle. I like the idea of packing it in the bed-tied down when out in the wild and keeping it stored when I'm running around town. My questions:
>After reading the posts I'm focusing in on a Smittybuilt, 8,000 lb. with synthetic line. I will have a recovery kit with straps, snatch blocks, etc. I also like the idea of the removable winch and keeping it stored as synthetic line deteriorates with UV exposure. Racing sailors replace key synthetic lines every 5 years as a general rule. That exposed end that is always out in the sun could be a failure point.
>I have not seen much on the wiring. I'd like to wire in a short plug that I can attach to my battery and secure it next to the battery when not in use. put the winch on front or back-pop the hood and plug it in. I wold have a permanent cord on the winch long enough to reach the short battery cord. feasible?
>I've seen references to "isolators" 2nd and 3rd batteries. But I haven't seen the why? I'm thinking if I have the Jeep running that the winching won't leave me with a dead battery. Do I need to consider a second battery? Isolators? Anything else?
>There was a comment made about receiver winches not usable for pulls other than straight. I'm guessing that is because of the twist they cold put on the frame? Seems like bumper mount would be better-but only slightly. They could induce twist on the frame as well.

Jaxmax

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeeps....... 2021 Mojave , 2019 Wrangler
Occupation
Electrical Manager
I have a Warn RC 9,000lb winch on a LOD winch plate and also have the Curt front receiver, mostly for putting a surf rod/cooler rack on front for beach driving. The Curt hitch is rated for 9,000 lbs. straight pull, if you want to mount a winch to it, I would be sure to have a few Pulleys to try and get as straight as you can. I would have a lot more confidence in a winch plate mounted on front....Jack

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
>After reading the posts I'm focusing in on a Smittybuilt, 8,000 lb. with synthetic line. I will have a recovery kit with straps, snatch blocks, etc. I also like the idea of the removable winch and keeping it stored as synthetic line deteriorates with UV exposure. Racing sailors replace key synthetic lines every 5 years as a general rule. That exposed end that is always out in the sun could be a failure point.
Your receiver is limited to 9,000 STRAIGHT PULL. It's NOT the frame that is in consideration - it's the winch cradle and receiver itself. No sweat on the synthetic rope. These are mostly covered and not exposed to UV, hidden in the winch. You can protect the very end protruding, but it's not really a reason to not mount a winch in the bumper.

>I have not seen much on the wiring. I'd like to wire in a short plug that I can attach to my battery and secure it next to the battery when not in use. put the winch on front or back-pop the hood and plug it in. I wold have a permanent cord on the winch long enough to reach the short battery cord. feasible?
There are threads here about using cable "plug-ins" for this purpose. You don't want it sticking out in the grill, next to the battery is safer. The issue is to avoid live battery power at the front of the truck.

>I've seen references to "isolators" 2nd and 3rd batteries. But I haven't seen the why? I'm thinking if I have the Jeep running that the winching won't leave me with a dead battery. Do I need to consider a second battery? Isolators? Anything else?
No don't go messing with batteries unless you want a real fit. These already have two. The isolators are zip to do with dead batteries because you LEAVE THE ENGINE RUNNING while winching. Never winch with the truck off. The isolator or switch or solenoid is to keep from having full battery power at the bumper in case of accident. Live wires up front may mean fire in an accident. It's not to do with draining a battery. Besides, winches have a duty cycle - you don't hold the button for 5 minutes and not give the winch a rest. Leave the truck running, winch on for a while, rest it for a while. That helps the batteries and prevents winch over-heating.

>There was a comment made about receiver winches not usable for pulls other than straight. I'm guessing that is because of the twist they cold put on the frame? Seems like bumper mount would be better-but only slightly. They could induce twist on the frame as well.
Far more than 'slightly'.
The weak points are the winch cradle and the receiver.
It's not the frame we're concerned about. For pure strength, bumper mount is superior. And you can pull off of straight and not bend things. A receiver is rated for STRAIGHT pull only. You'll have trouble with the receiver and the winch mount pulling very far off straight.
Sorry, you've got their logic wrong. I can pull hard at an angle - far far harder than you could ever pull with a receiver. You'll need to be equipped with more accessories to pull with a receiver mount due to the 9,000 straight pull restriction (snatch blocks to reduce the pull on the receiver) and similar to being able to pull at an angle - you'll have to run things out and pay more attention to the angle than others would need to.
And it ain't the frame.
Bumper mount is stronger and more than "only slightly", it's not the frame.

My bumper removed (to finish installing snow plow mount, the bottom bar is for snow plow, I have a receiver between winch plate and snow plow bar)
The stress of the winch pull is spread over the mounting plate. There is very little space or distance between winch mounting bolts and the places where the winch plate bolts to the frame.
The pull of this particular winch plate is BEHIND the bumper mounting ears of the frame. There are two other brackets along the side of the winch plate that bolt to the side of the frame rails. So you have a plate with minimal space between winch and frame rails. Plate is behind the frame ears. Triple thickness in that spot plus then you bolt the bumper on, adding even more strength.
With a receiver, you have only the small ears of the receiver where it mounts to the frame. The receiver part that receives a ball mount or winch cradle is welded to the bar that is between the frame rails. Since the winch sits out several inches in front of the receiver bar, a sideways pull can bend the receiver bar or even stress the welds. You have a whole lot of leverage with that winch sticking way out front of the receiver bar and a sideways pull can bend or break the receiver.
that's why they stress a limit of 9,000 pounds and STRAIGHT pull. Leverage - the winch has an incredible mechanical advantage over the receiver due to the distance between winch and receiver bar.

Jeep Gladiator What winch? 20221006_103958_HDR

BTW - will sell this draw-tite cheap -
Anyway, look at the distance from the bar that the winch "cradle" is then add the distance the winch cradle itself spaces the winch away from the bar. A lot of side loading........

Jeep Gladiator What winch? 1672504734465

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I have a Warn RC 9,000lb winch on a LOD winch plate and also have the Curt front receiver, mostly for putting a surf rod/cooler rack on front for beach driving. The Curt hitch is rated for 9,000 lbs. straight pull, if you want to mount a winch to it, I would be sure to have a few Pulleys to try and get as straight as you can. I would have a lot more confidence in a winch plate mounted on front....Jack
Beat me to it. STRAIGHT pull. Yes, you'd need snatch blocks and so on to get a straight pull.
The issue is the distance of any winch from the receiver's mounting bar. You can bend or break the receiver or even the winch mount/cradle itself.
As far as I know, all of these receivers are 9,000 straight pull.
Sponsored