First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR, 2017 WK2 Trailhawk, 2012 JK
Occupation
IT Analyst, Volunteer Firefighter
HF stopped doing the coupons last I heard... so I purchased their membership to save $$$. Did they start using and sending coupons out again ?
Sign up for their email flyers. The inside track members get access to the sales earlier and some sale items specifically for them. The Labor day coupons were inside track members could buy a day earlier but everyone could use the coupon Fri-Mon.

I also am Inside Track simply because I buy enough stuff over the year that the member only sale stuff pays for the membership.
Sponsored

cranbiz

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Everything I have read says the synthetic is superior. Has this been your experience ? Are there any special requirements for maintaining a synthetic line ?... other than how you use it ?
Use the sleeves that comes with the winch if you are going over rock. If you run it through mud, wash it when you get home. Other than that, it's no different than steel cable.

I wouldn't have anything else now. It's lighter and you get more line on the drum. It also does not store energy unlike a steel cable which does. While it's remotely possible for synthetic line to snap back, normally, it just drops to the ground if it breaks. Steel will always snap back unless you put a damper on it.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Use the sleeves that comes with the winch if you are going over rock. If you run it through mud, wash it when you get home. Other than that, it's no different than steel cable.

I wouldn't have anything else now. It's lighter and you get more line on the drum. It also does not store energy unlike a steel cable which does. While it's remotely possible for synthetic line to snap back, normally, it just drops to the ground if it breaks. Steel will always snap back unless you put a damper on it.
Paranoid me - damper always if there's any real stress.
Pulling a car onto a trailer, not enough zing to go 1 foot, but I just hate it when things hurt me. (it's even worse if it's my fault)

cranbiz

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Paranoid me - damper always if there's any real stress.
Pulling a car onto a trailer, not enough zing to go 1 foot, but I just hate it when things hurt me. (it's even worse if it's my fault)
Not paranoid to be safe. I also usually use a damper on any winch line.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Not paranoid to be safe. I also usually use a damper on any winch line.
Yeah, my wife would kill me if I messed up and got killed by winch whiplash.

Sponsored

Ryan...

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Willys
HF stopped doing the coupons last I heard... so I purchased their membership to save $$$. Did they start using and sending coupons out again ?
I just got a 25% off coupon + 10% coupon stacked on top because I signed up for their card. $370 out the door for the Badlands 12k winch with synthetic rope and a tree saver.

SargeDiesel

First Name
michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Rubicon Diesel
Occupation
Retired Military
I just got a 25% off coupon + 10% coupon stacked on top because I signed up for their card. $370 out the door for the Badlands 12k winch with synthetic rope and a tree saver.
Thats awesome, it could have been regional, but my local HF did not do coupons for awhile... looks like they started again.
Great buy !

Bbannongmu

First Name
JTR.Spartacus
Threads
Reaction score
Website
m.facebook.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Certified Emergency Manager
Vehicle Showcase
I had a Ramsey Rep8000 on my 1953 M-38A1. Bought it in 1995. Then put it in my 1998 K1500 Silverado, then put it on my 2013 JKU and sold it with the Jeep in 2020. I used it and abused it over and over and never had an issue. When I got my JT I wanted to buy a Ramsey but it wouldn’t fit in the Ace Expedition bumper I wanted. I ended up buying a Warn Zeon 10s. It’s more powerful and faster than my old Ramsey and I’ve used it a couple dozen times and it’s always worked well. That said I don’t know if it’ll be as tough as the Ramsey.

Jefe1018

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JT Rubi Ecodiesel
Build Thread
Link
I don't use mine enough to really review or add anything special, but also run a badlands apex 12,000lb winch with synthetic rope. Really, reputation + price + accessibility of purchase = best bang for buck for me.

I also found it on offer up for $350.00.

mgw750

First Name
Mke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Altitude
Occupation
Machinist
First thread I have seen that mentioned Ramsey more than once. Mine (patriot 9500) seems to get more use when cutting down trees and pulling up stubborn bushes, lol

Sponsored

RudeJeepin

First Name
Carl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JTRD
Build Thread
Link
My dad and I both bought Warn XD9000 winches in 1992, both are still going strong today. Both have been used countless times over the years. Mine probably more than his.
I've done full pulls through mud holes, starting with just a few wraps left on the drum to nearly a full drum without letting the winch take a break. All while dragging my old Toyota on the axles.
Mine has been on 2 Toyotas, the old CJ5 and now is on my son's TJ.
All original including the steel cable. Yes I took care of it, maintained it, and inspected it regularly, was careful about how I ran the cable.
I replaced it with a Warn Evo 10k, cause it fit better on my Gladiator. Hopefully this one will serve me well for 30+ years also.

ifishihuntiplay

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubi
Everything I have read says the synthetic is superior. Has this been your experience ? Are there any special requirements for maintaining a synthetic line ?... other than how you use it ?
Need to protect synthetic line from UV light, which will degrade it over time. Depends on winch design. Should use a winch cover if spool is exposed.

cranbiz

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Need to protect synthetic line from UV light, which will degrade it over time. Depends on winch design. Should use a winch cover if spool is exposed.
Yes, synthetic should be protected from UV.

As both my Jeeps are garage kept, I don't need to worry about UV exposure.

GEETCH

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR
Occupation
Navy
Vehicle Showcase
I have the following winch installed:
Smittybilt X2O GEN2 10K Waterproof Wireless Winch with Synthetic Rope - 98510
i have had it on my Jeep for 3 years now and have used it about a dozen times without issue.
i am very happy with this setup on my Jeep and would definitely recommend this unit.

Capngeo

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Diesel Gladiator
Occupation
Retired
Anyone have a Sherpa? Been thinking of getting one.
Sponsored