First Name
Clay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland
Occupation
Retired LEO
I have a Smittybuilt X20 12,000 lb. Gen 2 , mounted on a Rugged Ridge Venator bumper. The winch can be used with a wireless remote, or it can use a cable. I haven't tested the max distance that the wireless remote can be used from, but I have used it from 60 feet away. I really like the synthetic rope much more than the steel cable! I like how the winch plate, that came with the bumper, mounts low on the frame.

Jeep Gladiator What Kind Of Winch Do You Have/ Prefer IMG_1602
Jeep Gladiator What Kind Of Winch Do You Have/ Prefer IMG_1595
Sponsored

Last edited:

NEWBWHEELER

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Explorer ST, 2020 Hydro blue Gladiator
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Free loader
I am having a hard time believing you found a new Warn 12K Lb winch with synthetic line for $600-ish. But if you did then get it! I couldn't afford any of the classic Warn winches and looked at Superwinches but my local Rover shop (owner runs the MN rover club) suggested that Smittybilt's were high quality and good value. I think he was dead right. But again - if you found a good price on a Warn all power to you!

Also - this is the Smittybilt winch I have: https://www.amazon.com/Smittybilt-98510-Waterproof-Synthetic-Winch/dp/B00K150VAI - $580 on Amazon.
The Warn VR EVO 12 Iā€™m looking at is 899 on sale. Then I looked up the Smittybilt x20 and it was 935. The Warn zeon 12s is like 1700+. All Canadian prices.

syreeves

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR 6MT, 2013 Volvo XC90, 2003 LR Disco
Occupation
Liquor Attorney. So not all bad...
The Warn VR EVO 12 Iā€™m looking at is 899 on sale. Then I looked up the Smittybilt x20 and it was 935. The Warn zeon 12s is like 1700+. All Canadian prices.
Ah sorry. I was looking at US prices. My bad. Smittybilt is made in China too. I understand that Warn advertises "made in China to Warn's US specifications" - looks like a good deal! Happy you found a good deal and I will need to consider a Warn Evo in the future. Thanks for the education!

Gladrubi20

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
eBay Rubicon type steel bumper - comes with winch plate.
Harbor Freight Badland Apex 12,000 with synthetic rope. I hate steel cable. I've messed with that enough in other areas, like on wreckers and farm equipment.
I chose that winch because it has good reviews, isn't a budget-buster, is stronger than I'll ever need and has a decent remote (wireless or wired either way)
I really like the looks of the Jeep bumpers - especially the Rubicon steel bumper and the eBay bumper is fine at 1/3 the price and also has good reviews in the Wrangler forums (pages and pages of comments)
I like the looks, and it will pull a heck of a lot more than I'll need here in Iowa unless I take this thing into the Des Moines river and bury it.

Jeep Gladiator What Kind Of Winch Do You Have/ Prefer IMG_1595
Hey Iā€™m in Polk City and just got my eBay bumper today! Also searching for winch recommendation.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Hey Iā€™m in Polk City and just got my eBay bumper today! Also searching for winch recommendation.
I know the area, not far from the lake at all. Not far from Ankeny.
I did a lot of reading and looking at reviews, and bang for the buck, chose the Badland Apex winch. There's a couple of good youtube reviews - I've yet to see anything negative about them.

Sponsored

GoVR46

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gator Rubicon, 2014 Highlander, 2007 BMW 335i (725 whp)
Ah sorry. I was looking at US prices. My bad. Smittybilt is made in China too. I understand that Warn advertises "made in China to Warn's US specifications" - looks like a good deal! Happy you found a good deal and I will need to consider a Warn Evo in the future. Thanks for the education!
Warn Zeon series is made in the USA.

hjdca

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Rubicon manual Sting Gray
Build Thread
Link
I bought the Warn 10s Zeon Platinum because I like to be able to cinch up the rope tight by myself when I am at the anchor point (Free Spool and winch) , and the wireless is so convenient. I was also super impressed with the high speed of the 10s Platinum, which is important when you are winching and powering the wheels at the same time. I also don't mind so much paying more for a winch made in Oregon.

Jeep Gladiator What Kind Of Winch Do You Have/ Prefer JK6fyW

zqXTTP.jpg

Last edited:

MCATDT

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator
HF Apex 12K. Just can't beat it for the price. Has every bell and whistle, pulls fast and hard. 1/3 the price of a Zeon 12. Has been absolutely rock solid and even recovered a few folks whose Warn (albeit 10K versions) struggled with.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
The made in China stuff has become pure bunk in recent years. These are often factories owned by US companies, and employees of the US company holding to US standards.
I've got so many examples - some in my shop - of things made recently. Sometimes, not always, but sometimes, to compete at all US manufacturing has to cut corners to overcome the $25-30/hour wages, especially in some areas where the COL is through the roof.

We are having certain parts reproduced for classic cars and the parts are so good, the quality so fine, people are opting for the reproductions. Mirrors, tail light housings, perfect, flawless, and holding up for years. That's because it's Canadian and US owned factories over there making them.
That "made in China" thing is old-thinking, not keeping up with the times. It used to be the same for things made in Japan.............

Anyway - anyone showing a trend where the Badland winches are breaking or not doing the job or fail more than others? Is there a reason they are inferior other than the old "made in China" thing that no longer holds water with many items?
Are there bad reviews, bad youtube videos where users are showing those winches failing while others succeed?

Sponsored

syreeves

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Warn Zeon series is made in the USA.
OOPS - my bad. I was responding to @NEWBWHEELER. He said he was getting a Warn VR not a Warn Zeon. I meant to to refer to the fact that the Warn VR is made in China like the Smittybilt I have. Sorry.

NEWBWHEELER

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Explorer ST, 2020 Hydro blue Gladiator
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Free loader
OOPS - my bad. I was responding to @NEWBWHEELER. He said he was getting a Warn VR not a Warn Zeon. I meant to to refer to the fact that the Warn VR is made in China like the Smittybilt I have. Sorry.
I would love a Zeon but itā€™s almost double the price of a VR, and I mean how much money does a guy want to spend on pulling Tacos and Broncos out of the ditch...amiright?:like:

syreeves

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I would love a Zeon but itā€™s almost double the price of a VR, and I mean how much money does a guy want to spend on pulling Tacos and Broncos out of the ditch...amiright?:like:
I am looking forward to pulling out my first bronco in full mall crawler regalia...:CWL:

GoVR46

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gator Rubicon, 2014 Highlander, 2007 BMW 335i (725 whp)
You could always wheel with a sign on the side of your truck.

" Winching services, Jeeps free, Toyota's and Bronco's $10 a pull"

You'd probably have your winch paid for in about a month.

syreeves

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
You could always wheel with a sign on the side of your truck.

" Winching services, Jeeps free, Toyota's and Bronco's $10 a pull"

You'd probably have your winch paid for in about a month.
I have to be a little careful here because for the last 10 years I've been driving a Land Rover Discovery. We usually get stuck from a break down - not necessarily from lack of off road capability šŸ˜

I've never had to pull out a Jeep or a Taco - mostly full size pickups (F150, Silverado Ram 1500 etc.) on snow days or muddy trails b/c no lockers and no self recovery gear or when they are INVINCIBLE on their new lifts but with IFS differential support that leaves them with 9inchs of clearance on their "monster" 33s. Have you ever seen those differential supports get buried in mud? Its like a dozer blade stopping what should be an easy recovery....
Jeep Gladiator What Kind Of Winch Do You Have/ Prefer 1611923960788
Sponsored