Sponsored

Which winch hook/connector do you like best?

WILDHOBO

Well-Known Member
First Name
Dan
Joined
Sep 24, 2021
Threads
80
Messages
12,897
Reaction score
19,815
Location
Colorado
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Network Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
1
There have been instances where that hook doesn’t keep the line or what it’s attached to held securely. It doesn’t happen often but it can happen. A closed loop type system is much more secure than trusting a spring loaded closure on a hook. It’s the same with rappelling or rigging. I’m not trusting my life to a carabiner that is only spring loaded for closure. Even the twist spring closure types I only reserve for gear. If I’m on the line then it’s a full on locking carabiner. No exception.
Definitely different for climbing. I use my hook when it’s appropriate, but prefer closed. The ultrahook has both closed and the hook. The closed hole is also rated for higher loads, as would be expected.
Sponsored

 

VA6489

Well-Known Member
First Name
Rob
Joined
Nov 2, 2017
Threads
10
Messages
379
Reaction score
458
Location
Dahlgren Va
Vehicle(s)
Mercedes E250 Bluetec
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
DoD
I use the loop at the end (No metal hook). Couple reasons:
1. Metals have memory that is stored energy. Ad to that a broken winch point and that is a lot of mass head back the winch and.... you.
2. No Metal mean I can throw the line if needed to someone who can make the connection.
3. With a plastic stopper the line winds into the winch bumper and out of the sun. extending the life of the synthetic line.
 

sarguy1941

Well-Known Member
Joined
Aug 20, 2019
Threads
24
Messages
596
Reaction score
391
Location
USA
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Onour JK I run the factor 55 flat link, but only bcasue it was given to me. My other jeeps all run factoy hook that came with the winch. I prefer a hook in case I need to just hook it in an emergency. The flat link is nice but always need a shackle in my hand to hook it up. Being I use my winches for other stuff besides recovery my needs change by the task at hand.
Sponsored

 
 







Top