First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
I had the Smitty x20c in my JLU and ordered the Rugged Ridge Trekker 12.5 for my JT. Got the rustys winch plate for both.
Sponsored

Gladrubi20

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Since Iā€™m mostly a winch newby putting one on my Glad now, I have a question for experienced winch users, on some installations Iā€™m seeing the rope completely hidden so when your letting it out you wouldnā€™t know if you let out too much or when winding in you couldnā€™t view the proper wrapping. Is this a bad thing? Help me out want to do this right and safe!

jtimbrook

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Rubicon, 1946 CJ2A
Build Thread
Link
For this build I went with the Rugged Ridge HD stubby bumper and RR Trekker winch. I prefer simple utilitarian form over elaborate design and the bumper hits that mark. The RR winch is new to me considering I had a pretty simple Warn 9k on my previous ā€™12. The features on the winch for the price point I got it at couldnā€™t be beat so Iā€™m giving it a try.
Jeep Gladiator What Kind Of Winch Do You Have/ Prefer 60130630-6B3B-4CDF-914D-65449EF959A5

LostWoods

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 4Runner / 1995 YJ
I have to be a little careful here because for the last 10 years I've been driving a Land Rover Discovery. We usually get stuck from a break down - not necessarily from lack of off road capability šŸ˜

I've never had to pull out a Jeep or a Taco - mostly full size pickups (F150, Silverado Ram 1500 etc.) on snow days or muddy trails b/c no lockers and no self recovery gear or when they are INVINCIBLE on their new lifts but with IFS differential support that leaves them with 9inchs of clearance on their "monster" 33s. Have you ever seen those differential supports get buried in mud? Its like a dozer blade stopping what should be an easy recovery....
Jeep Gladiator What Kind Of Winch Do You Have/ Prefer 60130630-6B3B-4CDF-914D-65449EF959A5
Thankfully these are to find off road in my experience... that's how you get more than a 3" lift on a taco without a $6k long arm kit... you literally have to notch out the crossmember to clear the differential when you drop it down to maintain a usable CV angle and that bracket becomes your new crossmember.

MrJeep

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Rubicon, 2020 Gobi JT Overland
I'm probably in the minority here but I have a tried and true M8000 on mine.
The rule is 1.5x vehicle weight. Plus, with bigger winches, you are just adding dead weight to the front of your Jeep and weight kills ability. My philosophy has always been lighter is better. Check out Matt's Off Road Recovery on Youtube to see what I mean.
Sponsored