What winch you got, with a twist...?

The Yeti

First Name
JP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator 80th anniversary
So, I'll get straight to the point. Heres the twist...
Whats your thoughts on the best bang for the buck winch you got? BUT... for guys that actually use it, REGULARILY? If its on your Jeep because it looks cool or for a just in case but I only used it once or whatever. That doesn't apply. Looking for real world what has been tried tested and true for you. Just more out of curiousity, I'd love to go break the new truck I buy but can't afford it so I do that one it gets paid off or aged abit. Looking for what winch has held up without issues. Not "well they warranty it everytime, good product" I think you catch my drift. I'm sure there must be a guy or 2 on here that can comment for not just me but I'm sure plenty of people looking for a real world experienced dude with an opinion, not a "review" that you have no idea if it's from the guy selling it or some article being written.
Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Whatever someone owns and uses will be the best - check the responses.
I've got the Badland Apex 1200 mostly because of some great reviews and videos of the thing being abused and used hard.

But if you get 5 responses, whatever the responder has will be the best.

OP
OP

The Yeti

First Name
JP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator 80th anniversary
I totally agree which is the same as the thousands of threads out there. Thats why the questions is for the guy that actually uses it and why I posted the question more like I did. Tons of posts online of "looks sweet". If you use it and it broke down. Go ahead then post. I mean, (Gears broke tore it apart and they were plastic), more importantly tho if you use it regularily and still using it today let us know, ya know. I mean if you used it once and it worked I guess go ahead and post but Im looking for, mostly for reference for anyone, is "I abuse this thing and it's still goin strong". Maybe that more of a word of mouth thing. If so I guess I can take that as it is... well see.

Blade1668

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
90XJ, 91XJ, 91MJ, 05 LJ, 20 JT
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
From what I've heard and seen is the Badlands winches holding their own against most. I've got a 20 plus year old Ramsey still working has been used quite often and heavily with out failing me. My Q-tec has had problems not used much, parts to fix not replace are hard to get or over priced by having to replace motor. (It's brushes are same as Land Rover winches) Mile Marker used fairly only problems are I had it to release under load it will kick into free spool, possibly with Ramsey too). A pre Badlands H.F 8k winch that fails to die, but slow as molasses in February. The winch on my JT is a Havoc 12k that's holding up good so far used few dozen times or so.
On my 4wheelers are Badlands. Used often and really hard in and under water, mud plus for utility use. I've worn out one 2k on old 4wheeler.
Warn, Smitybuilt, and Superwinch are okay as far as I know, I've seen a few Warn winches that have failed but it depends on the model, use or lack of.
If you want one to last it needs ran every month or two and torn apart cleaned lubrication every year or so at least. Clean electric connections.
I hope this helps. :like:

Escape.idiocracy

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jt
Occupation
Hitchhiker
I had a Ramsey on my jk- literally purchased new in 1991 and works the same as new in 2022 when I had to part ways.
Badlands is used on the Matt’s Offroad recovery…. Pretty sure he puts all their gear through the ringer and uses it more than most.

Sponsored

Blade1668

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
I had a Ramsey on my jk- literally purchased new in 1991 and works the same as new in 2022 when I had to part ways.
Badlands is used on the Matt’s Offroad recovery…. Pretty sure he puts all their gear through the ringer and uses it more than most.
My Ramsey winch on my XJ got to pull out a military Hummer at Ft. Stewart in 99. It happened to be my BN CSM vehicle. :giggle:

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
If I recall correctly, that's one of the sources I used when looking around.

There's a video out there where the Jeeper "broke" the winch electric housing it was such a hard pull he flex/twisted the mounting plate and he took the winch apart to see how it was internally, and to repair it. It was fine other than the top housing.

I have used mine - but not for anything tough yet so can't say any more about it than what I just did.

Carry on.

Blade1668

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Did the winch on the humvee not work? They failed to properly PMCS the vehicle?🤣
Not all humvee's are equipped with a winch. Some of early ones only had a 6k winch even. That was quickly determined not large enough.

cranbiz

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR, 2017 WK2 Trailhawk, 2012 JK
Occupation
IT Analyst, Volunteer Firefighter
I run a Badlands Apex 12K on my JK. It gets used at some point on every wheeling trip I take which is a minimum of once a month. It's now 3 years old and it just works. It's one of the faster ones out there and for the price, it's hard to beat.

It's done me well enough to put one on my Gladiator. Sign up for the Harbor Freight coupons and you can pick one up at 25% off. I got the one for my Gladiator for $449 (synthetic line).

Sponsored

SargeDiesel

First Name
michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Rubicon Diesel
Occupation
Retired Military
Whatever someone owns and uses will be the best - check the responses.
I've got the Badland Apex 1200 mostly because of some great reviews and videos of the thing being abused and used hard.

But if you get 5 responses, whatever the responder has will be the best.
2nd this.... I have the Badlands Apex 1200 as well... I purchased it primarily due to the reviews and watching it in real world use in many videos.
Then, I weighed my needs against the cost and it still made sense for me.
I also own several other Badlands products and they are of quality as well.

* no, I do not have stock in HF... lol.

SargeDiesel

First Name
michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Military
I totally agree which is the same as the thousands of threads out there. Thats why the questions is for the guy that actually uses it and why I posted the question more like I did. Tons of posts online of "looks sweet". If you use it and it broke down. Go ahead then post. I mean, (Gears broke tore it apart and they were plastic), more importantly tho if you use it regularily and still using it today let us know, ya know. I mean if you used it once and it worked I guess go ahead and post but Im looking for, mostly for reference for anyone, is "I abuse this thing and it's still goin strong". Maybe that more of a word of mouth thing. If so I guess I can take that as it is... well see.
There is a YouTube video on exactly what you are asking... broken, tore down and repaired.

I will look through my history and try to find it for you.

SargeDiesel

First Name
michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Military
I run a Badlands Apex 12K on my JK. It gets used at some point on every wheeling trip I take which is a minimum of once a month. It's now 3 years old and it just works. It's one of the faster ones out there and for the price, it's hard to beat.

It's done me well enough to put one on my Gladiator. Sign up for the Harbor Freight coupons and you can pick one up at 25% off. I got the one for my Gladiator for $449 (synthetic line).
HF stopped doing the coupons last I heard... so I purchased their membership to save $$$. Did they start using and sending coupons out again ?

SargeDiesel

First Name
michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Military
I got the one for my Gladiator for $449 (synthetic line).
Everything I have read says the synthetic is superior. Has this been your experience ? Are there any special requirements for maintaining a synthetic line ?... other than how you use it ?

hjdca

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Rubicon manual Sting Gray
Build Thread
Link
Mine is not the best bang for the buck, but, here is what I experienced so far the last 3 years with mine.

I have used mine about 20-25 times within our 4wheel drive group, mostly for other guys, but, about 5 or 6 times for myself. I would recommend a wireless controller. It makes things much easier and faster when you are under pressure.

I also found the remote control "free spool" and "lockup" feature very convenient when you finally get up the hill and secure the winch line and want to tighten it up and check it before going down the hill again. I have the Warn Platinum 10s which has these features and really like it.

I also park my Gladiator in the driveway, so, corrosion resistance is important to me, and the Warn has not let me down on this.

PS. I have one of those little storage compartments from Amazon on the front of the center console. I keep the controller in there alway plugged into the cigarette lighter, which is only hot with the engine on. I have a bandana around the shift levers and spread the bandana open on one end and cover the controller and hide it. This has worked great for 3 years to hide the controller and keep it charged all the time.
Sponsored