Sponsored

Does anyone wish the wrangler platform would shrink...

Trout Safari

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTRD
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Self Employed
I have doubts something like that would sell well here unless the price point was low enough. That is purpose built third world market truck and would be just a niche vehicle here. It also would have to be built here as the 25% "Chicken Tax" on imported trucks would kill it being imported.
Sponsored

Trout Safari

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTRD
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Self Employed
I think if these 2 and 4 door trucks were available in the US they would sell like crazy. The problem is here in the US they screw with the motors and the trucks are not the same. The Jeep sells well here because it does not look like a soccer Moms Hyundai like every other SUV out there. All the small trucks (which are now mid sized trucks) look nothing like the Toyotas. That is why I love my Gladiator, It doesnt look like a Grocery getter. I have not owned a Toyota since a Landcruiser in the 70's, but I would buy one in a minute if they were here.

toyota-land-cruiser-namib.jpg

PlayfulBird

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT 2020 Rubicon Gobi
The 70 series has a turbo diesel V8, at least that’s what they advertise in Australia. This is the old school one with styling from 1985, not the posh new model Land Cruiser. Boxy styling, solid axles, lockers, manual gearbox, factory snorkel, yes please! They still sell them places like Africa and Australia where having an indestructible vehicle is the top criteria.

I had an 80 series, one of my all time favorite vehicles.
We (in Germany) have one official importer and they refused importing the v8. My Uncle in Melbourne is also saying the old school v8 is no longer able to be ordered

Hootbro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon
Idk I am willing to bet there are a ton of folks in my area who would love such a rig.
Experience has shown me that for everybody that will chime in that they will buy or want something if it offered, it almost is a constant that 50% will find or have some reason to not buy said item. Talk is cheap when comes to actually laying out the money for something.

Not saying none would sell if offered here, but I am pessimistic it being a economically viable offering for Toyota overall.

Another thing that is overlooked, is many of these designed and made for Third world vehicles, they are nowhere near any USA spec crash and safety standard or any EPA standards. Many would need almost total bottom up redesign to meet those standards.

onewhippedpuppy

Banned
Banned
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Aerospace
We (in Germany) have one official importer and they refused importing the v8. My Uncle in Melbourne is also saying the old school v8 is no longer able to be ordered
Obviously we can’t get them in the states so I only know what I can read online. If the 4.5L turbo diesel is still available that’s a really great engine that’s been around forever.

Sponsored

onewhippedpuppy

Banned
Banned
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Aerospace
Another thing that is overlooked, is many of these designed and made for Third world vehicles, they are nowhere near any USA spec crash and safety standard or any EPA standards. Many would need almost total bottom up redesign to meet those standards.
I could care less. Most of the crash and EPA tests are gamed by the manufacturers anyway. It’s why very few modern vehicles actually hit their window sticker MPG numbers, because the tests done accurately reflect real driving. I would happily drive something like a TJ daily if I didn’t need the JT space, and would be totally cool with the 20 year old tech for emissions and crash safety.

Hootbro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon
I could care less. Most of the crash and EPA tests are gamed by the manufacturers anyway. It’s why very few modern vehicles actually hit their window sticker MPG numbers, because the tests done accurately reflect real driving. I would happily drive something like a TJ daily if I didn’t need the JT space, and would be totally cool with the 20 year old tech for emissions and crash safety.
Regardless of how you feel about it, those hoops would have to be jumped through regardless.

When Ford brought the current Ranger to market here, it was borrowed from their global already on the market design. It cost them into the hundreds of millions of redesign to bring up and meet those standards and was not a plug and play platform.

onewhippedpuppy

Banned
Banned
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Aerospace
Regardless of how you feel about it, those hoops would have to be jumped through regardless.

When Ford brought the current Ranger to market here, it was borrowed from their global already on the market design. It cost them into the hundreds of millions of redesign to bring up and meet those standards and was not a plug and play platform.
Makes you wonder if the rest of the world is just that far behind or if our bureaucracy is that much more overwhelming. Considering that I think driving fatality rates are actually lower in Europe I’m favoring the latter.

PlayfulBird

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT 2020 Rubicon Gobi
Makes you wonder if the rest of the world is just that far behind or if our bureaucracy is that much more overwhelming. Considering that I think driving fatality rates are actually lower in Europe I’m favoring the latter.
First off we are fewer people on much less space, skewing stats- second no. Same with drug/gun etc. violance. We love to point to the states, but if you consider space and population, we are not so amazing either. And then we compare ourselves to Switzerland, and OMG how do they do it???
Bureaucracy is just that, it adjusts to your region and pushes out what is useful to those that have the say so

Sponsored

Hootbro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon
Yeah, probably the latter also. Europe is a different animal all together in how they view vehicle safety. They tend to lean on having a "stepped" drivers licensing system, better highway roads and EMS response systems.

That is a rabbit hole that leads to "politics" I will avoid.

chorky

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
'06 TJ GE, '22 JTR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Forester
Experience has shown me that for everybody that will chime in that they will buy or want something if it offered, it almost is a constant that 50% will find or have some reason to not buy said item. Talk is cheap when comes to actually laying out the money for something.

Not saying none would sell if offered here, but I am pessimistic it being a economically viable offering for Toyota overall.

Well I would buy one. Even if it failed all crash and safety tests.. I mean there's no way my TJ would pass modern day crash tests. What a joke that is anyway, when school busses that children ride don't even have seat belts, or public transport for that matter. It's all just a game that is played.

But, we won't ever have those here, so in the end it doesn't really matter.

onewhippedpuppy

Banned
Banned
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Aerospace
First off we are fewer people on much less space, skewing stats- second no. Same with drug/gun etc. violance. We love to point to the states, but if you consider space and population, we are not so amazing either. And then we compare ourselves to Switzerland, and OMG how do they do it???
Bureaucracy is just that, it adjusts to your region and pushes out what is useful to those that have the say so
I was being slightly facetious, I don’t think our bureaucrats know any better than the ones in Europe. Personally I could care less, I have and would drive an old car daily without worry.