Sponsored

Gladiator's Off-road capabilities vs JL

homerun

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1996 XJ, 2004 Ford Ranger, 2013 Subaru Impreza, 1996 HD Springer Softtail, past jeep 1995 YJ
Thank you all for your feedback. Quick question based on one of the post, when Gladiator gets the Rubicon badge, does that mean that it has gone through the Rubicon trail? I saw some videos of the trail and that's exactly what I had in mind. Little bit of everything in terms of off-roading.

Yes it has completed the trail in stock form, that does not mean it made it through without damage. I do not know what the parameters are on how much damage can be received and still consider it "passing the test". The spy photos of the JT on the trail showed some issues with the rear bumper and overhang. If you are looking at serious trails like that I would think you would want some enhanced protection/skid plates or a full belly pan. Yes lift and tires will help, but I would plan on dragging over some of the more challenging obstacles anyway.
Sponsored

Last edited:

eternus

First Name
Jody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sting-Gray Sport S Max Tow
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Product Manager
Yes it has completed the trail in stock form, that does not mean it made it through without damage. I do not know what the parameters are on how much damage can be received and still consider it "passing the test". The spy photos of the JT on the trail showed some issues with the rear bumper and overhang. If you are looking at serious trails like that I would think you would want some enhanced protection/skid plates or a full belly pay. Yes lift and tires will help, but I would plan on dragging over some of the more challenging obstacles anyway.
This.

I would imagine someone spending $40k on a truck will invest in full under body armor, a lift and bigger tires before going offroad. Good news, a Gladiator Sport has been spotted with a 2" lift and 37" tires and it looks awesome. (c:

Homer

First Name
Geral Hasten
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon, 2019Chevy ZR2 diesel
break over angle due to longer wheel base & to a lesser degree the departure angle will be the main things that will get it hung up but unless you want to rock crawl or cross creeks with steep banks i dont think youll have any problems anyway thats what a winch is for;)
Turning radius will be horrible, and 37 or larger make it worst. If you want a full size truck there are much less expensive out there.

MOPAR Boy

First Name
Mopy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTRD
it will still be way more capable than anything other than a Wrangler
Except for a nice Mercedes G-Pro diesel, with its THIRD center locking differential, sporting 37+ inch meats!;)

Gecko-JKU

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Gecko Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (Gone but not forgotten), 2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon, 2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited, 2020 Toyota 4 Runner
Yes it has completed the trail in stock form, that does not mean it made it through without damage. I do not know what the parameters are on how much damage can be received and still consider it "passing the test". The spy photos of the JT on the trail showed some issues with the rear bumper and overhang. If you are looking at serious trails like that I would think you would want some enhanced protection/skid plates or a full belly pan. Yes lift and tires will help, but I would plan on dragging over some of the more challenging obstacles anyway.
I believe the Trail Rated badge is what is earned on the Rubicon. All Wrangler and Gladiator models (Sport, Sahara/Overland, and Rubicon) have run the Rubicon in testing and completed it. The Rubicon version of both is an appearance/equipment package that definitely makes the trail easier to run.

https://www.cjponyparts.com/resources/what-does-trail-rated-mean
https://www.jeep.com/trail-rated.html

Sponsored

jeepinjon

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JK
I believe the Trail Rated badge is what is earned on the Rubicon. All Wrangler and Gladiator models (Sport, Sahara/Overland, and Rubicon) have run the Rubicon in testing and completed it. The Rubicon version of both is an appearance/equipment package that definitely makes the trail easier to run.

Correct. The Trail Rated badge has meant that the Jeep has made it through several trails in both Moab and the Rubicon in stock form.

There is a lot of rock stacking, strategic lines to make things as easy as possible, and potential body damage that the average person would find undesirable, but that is where lifts, tires, and body armor comes in.

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Jetta TDI RIP, 89' Civic SI, 2019 Pacifica Hybrid, 2020 GLADIATOR SPORT S "GLADYS"

The sport version with normal tires completed the Rubicon trail?

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Jetta TDI RIP, 89' Civic SI, 2019 Pacifica Hybrid, 2020 GLADIATOR SPORT S "GLADYS"
Yeah. Keep in mind a Renegade did too. Lol
ouch, the Renegade is "trail rated"? Basically throw that badge away then.

Still i'm sure the truck is a beast and i want a rubicon.

TexTJ209

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1981 Jeep CJ-7, 1973 Jeep J2000 Gladiator
ouch, the Renegade is "trail rated"? Basically throw that badge away then.

Still i'm sure the truck is a beast and i want a rubicon.

You stack enough rocks and even a Prius can be trail rated. :cwl:

Sponsored

Billy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 TJ, 2017 JKU, 2022 JTRD ordered.
F9E814CE-C338-424E-B851-92F660119562.jpeg
We bought a 2 door JLR with a 6 spd for off-road use and buying the JT to replace our GC for those days out with the family where I wish I had the JLR.
I assume you'll be holding out for the Ecodiesel then?

Billy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 TJ, 2017 JKU, 2022 JTRD ordered.