Sponsored

Gladiator Q4 2019 sales numbers out - thoughts?

5JeepsAz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1964 Kaiser-Willys Jeep Gladiator (SJ) 2dr long bed pickup truck
Build Thread
Link
International sales could lower stateside numbers considerably. This is a rare bird. Very cool bird. But rare. In five years, let's say a total of 500,000 are sold worldwide? That would best the low end projection (75,000/yr * 5 = 375,000).
Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
International sales could lower stateside numbers considerably. This is a rare bird. Very cool bird. But rare. In five years, let's say a total of 500,000 are sold worldwide? That would best the low end projection (75,000/yr * 5 = 375,000).
I LOVE rare birds. If numbers of the JT never jump high - then I'll own three rare birds.

2020 JT- total production I don't know -

1973 Pierre Cardin Javelin - limited edition, during the 1972 and 1973 model years 4,152 Javelins were produced with optional interior design by fashion designer Pierre Cardin making my 73 one of 4,152 Javelins produced with that interior.

1982 Eagle SX4 - Eagle total production of 37,923 for the 1982 model year (all Eagles, wagon, sedan, hatchback, kammback, etc.).
10,445 Liftbacks (the SX4) - they were made three years and mine is one of 10,445 made in 1982)

So I guess let the JT be rare.

PyrPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT Sport S Max Tow; Honda Element
I LOVE rare birds. If numbers of the JT never jump high - then I'll own three rare birds.

1973 Pierre Cardin Javelin - limited edition, during the 1972 and 1973 model years 4,152 Javelins were produced with optional interior design by fashion designer Pierre Cardin making my 73 one of 4,152 Javelins produced with that interior.

1982 Eagle SX4 - Eagle total production of 37,923 for the 1982 model year (all Eagles, wagon, sedan, hatchback, kammback, etc.).
10,445 Liftbacks (the SX4) - they were made three years and mine is one of 10,445 made in 1982)

Glad someone agrees with me.

ucijeepguy

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram, LJ,

Same, I like it because its rare, but in the end it makes getting parts difficult for later on.

I have a 2005 TJ unlimited, LJ. and finding parts for it is getting more difficult. While major parts that are interchangeable with the TJ are still relatively easy, any aftermarket vendors for things are drying up already. Makes it even more difficult when its more customized. My LJ has a long arm suspension, custom roll cage, rare factory color (electric lime green), and a Hemi, so finding parts is a search.

PyrPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Same, I like it because its rare, but in the end it makes getting parts difficult for later on.
Just the body panels. And really even then, just the truck bed parts. Of course if the frame needs to be replaced (like Here) then your JT would probably be totaled

Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Just the body panels. And really even then, just the truck bed parts. Of course if the frame needs to be replaced (like Here) then your JT would probably be totaled
Body panels, certain other things, but gee, we often have to fabricate frame rails or frame parts for our cars. I sold an Eagle wagon to a guy in Ohio and he cut out the whole front frame rails and using wood jigs and frames, a torch and hammer and welder, made whole new front frame rails for the car. You can't tell there was ever any rust there now! And yes that included where the front cross member bolted to, where the upper control arm bolted to, where the bracket for the strut rod bolted to the frame, all of it. His frame sections looked factory.
I'm not worried about frame - unless it shows signs like the other Jeep people are dealing with - the FEDS are investigating the frame weld issues on those now.
Will we see any of that?
Cracked welds, missed welds, welds not penetrating the steel properly.......... it's being investigated.

PyrPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'm not worried about frame - unless it shows signs like the other Jeep people are dealing with - the FEDS are investigating the frame weld issues on those now.
Will we see any of that?
Cracked welds, missed welds, welds not penetrating the steel properly.......... it's being investigated.
Please elaborat

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase

Slalom

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
So maybe people are figuring out through test drives, reviews, forums, word of mouth that there is a real issue on some of these vehicles including mine with the steering boxes.

Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Reviews have all been good. I test drove and those were good. The issues are with few, not thousands, not even half. I doubt that's impacting numbers. We all know this is a niche vehicle and the market simply doesn't exist in some places - like Iowa, for example.
I'll say it again - judging a vehicle through a forum is a mistake. You can see what's possible, but it's like trying to judge the human race by visiting a hospital, or Washington D.C.
People without issues won't talk about how good it is.
And most owners don't join forums. People have this idea that the world is here, and on FB - simply not true.
Most buyers don't search forums to decide. They read real reviews or don't bother at all with the web. Especially certain age groups (meaning the young)

jlg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport-S Max Tow, Punkin Metallic
Well, I just told someone that I order a Gladiator, and he said "Jeep makes a pickup?" Also, I DO NOT see a lot of them around here in the wild. I've spotted 3 in my county since I started looking at these in Sept., so yes they DO seem to be unique, Jeep isn't really advertising them well enough (if you outfit a Colorado/etc. with the same equipment, you aren't far off in price).

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Well, I just told someone that I order a Gladiator, and he said "Jeep makes a pickup?" Also, I DO NOT see a lot of them around here in the wild. I've spotted 3 in my county since I started looking at these in Sept., so yes they DO seem to be unique, Jeep isn't really advertising them well enough (if you outfit a Colorado/etc. with the same equipment, you aren't far off in price).
Interesting you should say that because someone else actually went onto one of the web sites for a "competing truck", and did a build - added 4 wheel drive, outfitted it pretty much like a Gladiator and in the end they said the other truck wasn't that much less. The prices for some of the other mid-size trucks you see are for 2 wheel drive so one has to be careful. JT only comes in one format that way, some of the others come either way. Add all the same options, well, what you can, not a lot of difference.
Sure the Gladiator bed is a lot smaller than the competition, but there are pros and cons to each side. Depends on your needs, wants, priorities, etc.
I still maintain Jeep isn't promoting these things at all. Not that I see! tonight not a single Jeep commercial FEATURING the Gladiator - actually, I didn't see any Jeep commercial at all today.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
In reviews folks were saying the shallower bed was a plus as more people didnt have to struggle to reach into it
It's a plus for me - I'm barely 5'8" and with my Chevy, I had to get a box or something to stand on to reach over the side into the box.
I didn't have it stacked totally full most of the times so it was a pain. If I need to haul a lot of bulky stuff in the JT - I'll strap it in or pull a utility trailer behind it. No big deal.
I wish it was perhaps 6' long, but the depth I like a lot. I'll get along with the shorter box, I'm sure.
Sponsored