Sponsored

Tops! Canopy / covers / toppers / racks possibilities for Gladiator - Show me!

homerun

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1996 XJ, 2004 Ford Ranger, 2013 Subaru Impreza, 1996 HD Springer Softtail, past jeep 1995 YJ
Climbing? Or was that high altitude hiking???
I guess you would call it hiking, there is a section called “the breakfast wall” that requires some class 3 scrambling, nothing to crazy. The altitude is definitely the greater challenge.
Sponsored

G8R

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon-solid white
Occupation
Medical Devices
I guess you would call it hiking, there is a section called “the breakfast wall” that requires some class 3 scrambling, nothing to crazy. The altitude is definitely the greater challenge.
I agree with that. 15k kicked my butt. Especially when taking 60 foot whippers on RP’s. Not many here know what that means, sorry...

mcolbyb

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
I've emailed serval different truck cap manufactures you commonly see on full size trucks and I'll include their responses below. Below you'll find A.R.E.'s response about caps for Gladiators.

Hello

Yes, these units are in testing stage and we will not have an ETA until ALL testing has passes. Once testing has passed will then release a date for production. Please keep in contact with your local A.R.E Dealer as they are notified of any new releases.

Thank You

A.R.E

mcolbyb

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Has anyone tried an elevated rack system from Truck Hero? I kinda want to do their track system (part # 1118414) with a Yakima Outpost HD. Yakima says they haven't tested it before but it might work. Would reduce the weight limits to 300/180 when you utilize the Tonneau kit1 from Yakima.

https://www.autoanything.com/tonneau-covers/truck-hero-elevate-rack-system

Features
  • Fixed Rack: 28” height allows for cab clearance
  • Telescoping Rack: 18” to 28” height for versatility
  • Load Rating: maximum on road of 750 lbs. and maximum off road of 250 lbs.
  • Robust aluminum construction
  • Durable, textured powder-coat finish
  • Can be installed, adjusted or removed in minutes
  • 30 min installation for racks
  • 60 min installation for rack & truck bed cover combo
  • Work or Play: strong enough to carry bikes, kayaks, rooftop tents, baskets, ladders and more
  • Compatible with most inside mount truck bed covers (when installed with ELEVATE TS RAILS)
  • Integrated T-Slot channels engineered to accept various tie downs, mounts and cargo accessories
  • Limited Lifetime Warranty
  • Made in the USA
Description
That’s right, the ELEVATE RACK SYSTEM by Truck Hero will help plan your next adventure with ease. Maybe you’re a true weekend warrior with a passion for kayaking or biking. Perhaps you’re planning your next family vacation to the mountains or lake. Wherever you’re going, whatever you’re doing, the ELEVATE RACK SYSTEM by Truck Hero delivers more storage options and overall cargo space to your pickup truck. Helping ensure your next journey provides maximum fun & adventure.

truck-hero-t-slot-rails-sample-image.jpg

elevate-rack-hero.jpg

PhantomChameleon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gator Gladiator Rubicon
Has anyone tried an elevated rack system from Truck Hero? I kinda want to do their track system (part # 1118414) with a Yakima Outpost HD. Yakima says they haven't tested it before but it might work. Would reduce the weight limits to 300/180 when you utilize the Tonneau kit1 from Yakima.

https://www.autoanything.com/tonneau-covers/truck-hero-elevate-rack-system

Features
  • Fixed Rack: 28” height allows for cab clearance
  • Telescoping Rack: 18” to 28” height for versatility
  • Load Rating: maximum on road of 750 lbs. and maximum off road of 250 lbs.
  • Robust aluminum construction
  • Durable, textured powder-coat finish
  • Can be installed, adjusted or removed in minutes
  • 30 min installation for racks
  • 60 min installation for rack & truck bed cover combo
  • Work or Play: strong enough to carry bikes, kayaks, rooftop tents, baskets, ladders and more
  • Compatible with most inside mount truck bed covers (when installed with ELEVATE TS RAILS)
  • Integrated T-Slot channels engineered to accept various tie downs, mounts and cargo accessories
  • Limited Lifetime Warranty
  • Made in the USA
Description
That’s right, the ELEVATE RACK SYSTEM by Truck Hero will help plan your next adventure with ease. Maybe you’re a true weekend warrior with a passion for kayaking or biking. Perhaps you’re planning your next family vacation to the mountains or lake. Wherever you’re going, whatever you’re doing, the ELEVATE RACK SYSTEM by Truck Hero delivers more storage options and overall cargo space to your pickup truck. Helping ensure your next journey provides maximum fun & adventure.

truck-hero-t-slot-rails-sample-image.jpg

elevate-rack-hero.jpg

Interesting! Why wouldn't you just use this with the Elevate rack instead of the Yakima? Seems like the website indicates it will work for the Gladiator. I guess the only issue would that it looks like this would not work with the factory tonneau cover. Would be interested to hear from anyone who has tried this setup.

Sponsored

mcolbyb

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Interesting! Why wouldn't you just use this with the Elevate rack instead of the Yakima? Seems like the website indicates it will work for the Gladiator. I guess the only issue would that it looks like this would not work with the factory tonneau cover. Would be interested to hear from anyone who has tried this setup.
You make a valid point. Few thing:

1). I like the way the Outpost HD looks better. (Less like a work truck, more like an overland vehicle)
2). I like the way the Yakima racks are constructed with the wider base that sits along the side of the bed rather than a small point of contact.
3). I tend to trust Yakima engineers more. Grew up using Yakima for canoes and kayaks as a kid so it has some equity for me.

I’m still not convinced that mid height rack, on tonneau adaptor, on bed side, attached to bed rails is going to be secure enough for my needs. I might buy one and put it together and post a video & pictures to see if it works.

PhantomChameleon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gator Gladiator Rubicon
You make a valid point. Few thing:

1). I like the way the Outpost HD looks better. (Less like a work truck, more like an overland vehicle)
2). I like the way the Yakima racks are constructed with the wider base that sits along the side of the bed rather than a small point of contact.
3). I tend to trust Yakima engineers more. Grew up using Yakima for canoes and kayaks as a kid so it has some equity for me.

I’m still not convinced that mid height rack, on tonneau adaptor, on bed side, attached to bed rails is going to be secure enough for my needs. I might buy one and put it together and post a video & pictures to see if it works.
Good point about the mounting points, the Yakima definitely seems more solid at least in pictures. Plus, as you said, they are a well established brand (Elevate or whatever might be too but I haven't heard of them before).

I am looking to mount a rooftop tent so I am definitely needing something solid that can handle the wind turbulence as well as people using the tent. I am bouncing back and forth between a topper and a rack/tonneau cover setup. Both have advantages and disadvantages and its been hard to decide which would be more useful...plus there just aren't a ton of solid options right now for either which makes it tricky to figure out.

This forum has been very helpful so far in helping me think about different pros and cons and find setups that might work well, so I appreciate the thoughts!

mcolbyb

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Good point about the mounting points, the Yakima definitely seems more solid at least in pictures. Plus, as you said, they are a well established brand (Elevate or whatever might be too but I haven't heard of them before).

I am looking to mount a rooftop tent so I am definitely needing something solid that can handle the wind turbulence as well as people using the tent. I am bouncing back and forth between a topper and a rack/tonneau cover setup. Both have advantages and disadvantages and its been hard to decide which would be more useful...plus there just aren't a ton of solid options right now for either which makes it tricky to figure out.

This forum has been very helpful so far in helping me think about different pros and cons and find setups that might work well, so I appreciate the thoughts!

I’m in the same boat. I really like the caps from Alu-Cab and RDL. I feel like I’d be halfway there on price between the rack and cover but my tent would mount so much higher thank I want.

I have a Ruggedized 4 person Tepui tent and it’s 12” longer than the bed. I’m stuck deciding if I want to swap that for a Baja or Explorer 3 person and mount it to a Outpost HD or other half height rack. Decision. Decisions.

PhantomChameleon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gator Gladiator Rubicon
I’m in the same boat. I really like the caps from Alu-Cab and RDL. I feel like I’d be halfway there on price between the rack and cover but my tent would mount so much higher thank I want.

I have a Ruggedized 4 person Tepui tent and it’s 12” longer than the bed. I’m stuck deciding if I want to swap that for a Baja or Explorer 3 person and mount it to a Outpost HD or other half height rack. Decision. Decisions.
Yep, almost exactly my dilemma as well. I have a hardshell Roofnest tent which is quite a bit longer than the truck bed so I am debating both the topper and rack/tonneau options as well as considering getting the iKamper mini instead which is 5ft long and can mount over the bed basically even with the cab. That would obviously require a shorter bed rack than if I kept my current tent, so that is yet another rabbit hole of choices.

I do like the idea of a topper and like both the Alu-Cab and the RLD options, although they each have advantages and disadvantages which make them hard to decide between. That option would allow a lot of gear storage in the bed (I hike, climb, bike, etc a lot) which is appealing but would also be harder to take on and off if I wanted to run without it. Still doable but just wouldn't be done on a whim quite like some of the rack/tonneau options.

I tend to over analyze and like to get a solution that is as close to perfect as possible, so I have been debating all of this with myself quite a lot lately. I am getting ready to order my JTR and would like to have settled on a solution by the time I order if possible :whew::CWL:

I am also not opposed to waiting some, but I would hate to settle on the RLD or Alu-Cab and then miss having the topper for half of summer while I wait for it to ship!

mcolbyb

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Yep, almost exactly my dilemma as well. I have a hardshell Roofnest tent which is quite a bit longer than the truck bed so I am debating both the topper and rack/tonneau options as well as considering getting the iKamper mini instead which is 5ft long and can mount over the bed basically even with the cab. That would obviously require a shorter bed rack than if I kept my current tent, so that is yet another rabbit hole of choices.

I do like the idea of a topper and like both the Alu-Cab and the RLD options, although they each have advantages and disadvantages which make them hard to decide between. That option would allow a lot of gear storage in the bed (I hike, climb, bike, etc a lot) which is appealing but would also be harder to take on and off if I wanted to run without it. Still doable but just wouldn't be done on a whim quite like some of the rack/tonneau options.

I tend to over analyze and like to get a solution that is as close to perfect as possible, so I have been debating all of this with myself quite a lot lately. I am getting ready to order my JTR and would like to have settled on a solution by the time I order if possible :whew::CWL:

I am also not opposed to waiting some, but I would hate to settle on the RLD or Alu-Cab and then miss having the topper for half of summer while I wait for it to ship!
What’s a JTR, JT Rack?

Sponsored

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Jetta TDI RIP, 89' Civic SI, 2019 Pacifica Hybrid, 2020 GLADIATOR SPORT S "GLADYS"

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Jetta TDI RIP, 89' Civic SI, 2019 Pacifica Hybrid, 2020 GLADIATOR SPORT S "GLADYS"
Well due to all the forum helpers here I just cashed in my life insurance policy to buy an Alu-Cab Explorer Canopy :puke::piggybank:.......figured once my wife sees the CC bill she's going to kill me anyways. At least she won't get rich in the process. :CWL::stop:

JohnGjeep

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator
Well due to all the forum helpers here I just cashed in my life insurance policy to buy an Alu-Cab Explorer Canopy :puke::piggybank:.......figured once my wife sees the CC bill she's going to kill me anyways. At least she won't get rich in the process. :CWL::stop:
Do you mind if I ask what made you pick Alu-Cab over RLD? I’m on the fence. Thanks

mcolbyb

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Do you mind if I ask what made you pick Alu-Cab over RLD? I’m on the fence. Thanks
I'm curious as well. There is good cases for both. One thing I'm interested in seeing is how the cab fits the profile of the Jeep from the front. I know on the Tacomas it doesn't follow the contour of the Taco well. I think it'll fit better on a JT.
Sponsored