Total Topless Hack (For Soft Top)

brancky3

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Gladiator Sport S
My soft top also came with this storage cover when I took it out of that huge cardboard box that contained all the parts. Those two velcro straps are for wrapping around the top hardware so that it does not cause buffeting on the fwy. They do not seem to be needed. There is also some stretch straps to roll up the back window, but, I read on the wrangler forum that this can cause "clouding" of the back window over time, so, I just take my window off, keep it straight, and put it into the mopar bag in the back of the bed.
The velcro straps are for the metal frame to keep it tight against itself. The stretch straps are definitely NOT for the back window, they snap in just above the back window and stretch up to the soft top latches to keep it tight
Sponsored

eaglerugby04

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gator Rubicon Gladiator, Toyota Prius, Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Network Security
My soft top also came with this storage cover when I took it out of that huge cardboard box that contained all the parts. Those two velcro straps are for wrapping around the top hardware so that it does not cause buffeting on the fwy. They do not seem to be needed. There is also some stretch straps to roll up the back window, but, I read on the wrangler forum that this can cause "clouding" of the back window over time, so, I just take my window off, keep it straight, and put it into the mopar bag in the back of the bed.
Wonder if it is because mine came with only the soft top I didn't get this cover, since its technically expected that I keep the top on all the time? Are you sure that cover you have is made for road operation?

OP
OP
Godfadr

Godfadr

First Name
Godfadr
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.FredRewey.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited, 2020 Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Speaker, Author, Dude Who Likes Bacon
Vehicle Showcase
Did your soft top come with this cover? Mine came secured in this from Mopar. I ordered The bolts you showed to take it off quickl. Thanks for posting this. A365A3E0-F51C-4C5A-9FE6-84C7ACC30DE9.jpeg
I have not seen that cover. I did see some people talk about it. I think it was an option. Do you have a side photo?

hjdca

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Rubicon manual Sting Gray
Build Thread
Link
I have not seen that cover. I did see some people talk about it. I think it was an option. Do you have a side photo?
It's a kinda cheap cover that I believe is only included for protection of the material while shipping in that huge box and possible soft top storage when the hard top is on. I doubt it is an option, too cheap.... Not close to the quality of the Mopar bags.

PowZQS.jpg

zeG3H7.jpg

Duck27

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
The photos that hjdca posted is what mine looks like.

Sponsored

Armyman247

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator overland
The velcro straps are for the metal frame to keep it tight against itself. The stretch straps are definitely NOT for the back window, they snap in just above the back window and stretch up to the soft top latches to keep it tight
The straps are DEFINITELY for the back window (I have seen instructions for it). They snap in then you roll the back window up (while keeping the top track in) and the go around the window so you can have “safari” mode. I have done it several time now issues.
As far as the top I use Velcro wire organizers and wrap a few around the top when it’s open and it holds it tight so it doesn’t fill up with air like a sail.

Armyman247

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator overland
It's a kinda cheap cover that I believe is only included for protection of the material while shipping in that huge box and possible soft top storage when the hard top is on. I doubt it is an option, too cheap.... Not close to the quality of the Mopar bags.

Jeep Gladiator Total Topless Hack (For Soft Top) zeG3H7

Jeep Gladiator Total Topless Hack (For Soft Top) zeG3H7
That cover is only supposed to be for shipping. If your Jeep came with the soft top installed you won’t have it. But if you got soft top separate you will have one. I use it when I put the soft top away for the winter

GOT16

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sting Gray
also got that soft top "cover" when i bought my new soft top from a forum member.
I'm pretty sure it was for shipping protection purpose, but feel I will use when storing in the winter
Funny how there is uncertainty regarding the straps - for back window or to help keep top secured??
I will not use for back window, as my jku one got trashed quickly by doing this and just not "babying" it.

OP
OP
Godfadr

Godfadr

First Name
Godfadr
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.FredRewey.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
also got that soft top "cover" when i bought my new soft top from a forum member.
I'm pretty sure it was for shipping protection purpose, but feel I will use when storing in the winter
Funny how there is uncertainty regarding the straps - for back window or to help keep top secured??
I will not use for back window, as my jku one got trashed quickly by doing this and just not "babying" it.
I am not going to argue with the people that say the straps are for the back window. Personally, I didn't think they were due to the angle and the strength of the snap.

Works ok for me on the top and I really don't want to get in the habit of rolling up the back window anyway.

jwilson2899

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon Launch Edition
Occupation
System Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
I am not going to argue with the people that say the straps are for the back window. Personally, I didn't think they were due to the angle and the strength of the snap.

Works ok for me on the top and I really don't want to get in the habit of rolling up the back window anyway.
That’s exactly what they are for. I know you don’t want to argue it, but they have been on every soft top since 1997 for the same purpose. @Rob_Quadratec even shows how to use them right here in this video.

Thant being said, I never use them because they end up scratching and damaging the window.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Godfadr

Godfadr

First Name
Godfadr
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.FredRewey.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
That’s exactly what they are for. I know you don’t want to argue it, but they have been on every soft top since 1997 for the same purpose. @Rob_Quadratec even shows how to use them right here in this video.

Thant being said, I never use them because they end up scratching and damaging the window.
Nice. I use to roll it up on my Wranglers but the long-term effect on the window was not great. It could be used in a pinch though.

brancky3

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Gladiator Sport S
I don't understand why anyone thinks rolling the rear window up is a good idea with those rigid plastic tabs on the sides. I feel like those would deform quickly and lead to cracking. And the whole foggy window thing.

hjdca

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
I don't understand why anyone thinks rolling the rear window up is a good idea with those rigid plastic tabs on the sides. I feel like those would deform quickly and lead to cracking. And the whole foggy window thing.
Nobody wants to spring for the high price of the rear windshield bag, but, I have been finding it very useful and fast to remove the back window and keep it safe in the bed. It is great quality and really protects the back window well.

eaglerugby04

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gator Rubicon Gladiator, Toyota Prius, Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Network Security
Nobody wants to spring for the high price of the rear windshield bag, but, I have been finding it very useful and fast to remove the back window and keep it safe in the bed. It is great quality and really protects the back window well.
I ended up using some fabric glue and a piece of fabric from hobby lobby. I think I spent $10 and the fabric "envelope" I rigged up has been working pretty good.

hjdca

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
I ended up using some fabric glue and a piece of fabric from hobby lobby. I think I spent $10 and the fabric "envelope" I rigged up has been working pretty good.
Ok, I think I figured out how to use the rear window bag correctly. First you put in the window, then, cover with felt, then, you put in the pillars and hook them to the straps. Zip up and fold over if required... Works real well. Here are some pics.

r9MlCT.jpg

BtBGzf.jpg

GYPGFe.jpg
Sponsored