Sponsored

Rear differential locking automatically and unable to unlock?

davidlroth

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Has anyone had an issue with their rear differential locking automatically and not being able to turn it off? I was towing a boat and it turned on automatically and now won't turn off. Thanks!
Sponsored

hjdca

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Rubicon manual Sting Gray
Build Thread
Link
Has anyone had an issue with their rear differential locking automatically and not being able to turn it off? I was towing a boat and it turned on automatically and now won't turn off. Thanks!
For turning it off, try getting on a very slight incline, put the transfer case in neutral, tranny in neutral, turn off the locker, and let it roll slowly turning the front wheels right and left. If this does not dis-engage the locker, try the same thing going backwards...

OP
OP
davidlroth

davidlroth

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
For turning it off, try getting on a very slight incline, put the transfer case in neutral, tranny in neutral, turn off the locker, and let it roll slowly turning the front wheels right and left. If this does not dis-engage the locker, try the same thing going backwards...
Thanks, I'll give it a try, just don't want to damage anything!

Sponsored

EugeneTheJeep

First Name
Eugene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTR
My JT is at the dealer now for the dash rear locker light. They found fluid in the actuator. Solution: surprise! replace the whole axle!

Joeg

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 gladiator
Occupation
project manager
mine has been at the dealer for over a week now with same issue. They suspect a short in the wiring harness but have not been able to locate it yet.

Allagashbill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
retired
Just returned from my Jeep dealer. There is a service memo out on this issue and they will replace the entire rear end. My Gladiator would lock and unlock the rear on it's own. It stared when I was towing a small trailer. According to my dealer, Jeep identified a problem after many complaints. They are behind in producing new rear ends. Go figure !

Glad-inator

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Just towed a 3000 lb camper from Orlando to upper Michigan and back. Noticed this yesterday and also this morning. I’ve got a Tazer installed also- but it seems like this may be an actual Jeep issue based on what you guys are saying. Are they replacing the whole rear axle or just the differential? Wonder if they’ll just throw a 5:13 in there while they’re at it 😂. I’ll be a nice guy and supply the ring and pinion.

Sponsored

CrazyCooter

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.overlandvehicledynamics.com
Vehicle(s)
1991 JEEP YJ, 2021 JTR Ecodiesel
Occupation
Specialty Off Road Shop Owner
Just towed a 3000 lb camper from Orlando to upper Michigan and back. Noticed this yesterday and also this morning. I’ve got a Tazer installed also- but it seems like this may be an actual Jeep issue based on what you guys are saying. Are they replacing the whole rear axle or just the differential? Wonder if they’ll just throw a 5:13 in there while they’re at it 😂. I’ll be a nice guy and supply the ring and pinion.
I think there is a replacement sensor available now. Pretty crazy the money wasted in the past replacing the whole axle!

Rusty PW

First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTRD, '11 370Z Nismo, '07 Honda VFR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Muff Diver
I think there is a replacement sensor available now. Pretty crazy the money wasted in the past replacing the whole axle!
Yea, think the sensor is around $300.

CrazyCooter

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.overlandvehicledynamics.com
Vehicle(s)
1991 JEEP YJ, 2021 JTR Ecodiesel
Occupation
Specialty Off Road Shop Owner
Yea, think the sensor is around $300.
So does one just buy the inline box from Z Automotive to mask the problem or buy the sensor and risk another failure? Hmmmm

Rusty PW

First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTRD, '11 370Z Nismo, '07 Honda VFR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation