Sponsored

Driver's Door Electrical Connection

jonaandcaleb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT
I have a new JT (and new to the Jeep brand) and I am loving the no top no doors feeling. It's what sold me to the JT. With that said recently I put the doors back on and had issues with the BSM not working, the radio not turning off when opening the driver's door, and sometimes the auto start/stop feature wasn't available. Did some research and found out the pins were bent. I tried to fix it and ended up taking it to the dealership to have it fixed. I figured it was under warranty, but they said I caused the issue and after a few minutes of arguing over the phone, we settled on a price of labor for 2 hours ($200). They took a picture of it to show me what the issue was. Once I went back and picked it up, the final price was $135 and some change. I accepted that I did it wrong and paid for the service and told the service manager if I was doing it wrong (which I wasn't as I've done it a ton of times before without any issues), I asked him to show me the correct way to connect them back. He refused because he said there is a chance of them being misaligned and not longer working. After some "heighten" vocal exchanges, I left. I was thinking if I was truly doing something wrong I could correct it then or if the service manager put them back in and bent them putting it in, it wasn't my user error but an error on the manufacturing side of things. Now I have that fear of taking my doors off, I may mess up and bend the pins again.

Anyways I know the forums are full of the issue and how to fix the problem, but is there any pointers on how to keep them straight when replacing? I just want to keep them straight and perfect when putting them back on?

Also if you look inside the connection part tied to the vehicle is the exposed pins the same or is one different than the other? In my case the driver side has more of the pins exposed when compared to the passenger side.
Sponsored

OP
OP

jonaandcaleb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT
Here are pictures of the harnesses. The one with my hand is the passenger side. Can you see that there are less of the pins exposed than the other? Is other JTs the same as mine where the drivers side pins are exposed more?

FYI I did take the doors off and put them back and had the same issue. Bent them ever so slightly back and everything worked. Going to be very frustrating if I have to do this every time I remove the doors.

7227F5FE-9B4C-4BD9-9B18-3FF605AD8AC8.jpeg

52AE104E-6538-46EF-B208-3F7A6D4A990A.jpeg

Gwedough

First Name
Cary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Accountant
Hello All,
Iā€™m having the same issue with my passenger door plug/pin issue on my Gladiator. Dealership wants to charge $415 to replace the broken plug, saying since I took the doors off and broke the plug in the process of putting everything back together, itā€™s my fault. Donā€™t see how itā€™s my fault, as the plug fits into a housing before reaching the pins. Which the housing should aline the plug correctly. And to top it off, thereā€™s a lever that pulls the plug together. Also, this is my 5th Jeep (2 TJs and 2 JKs prior to this Gladiator) so Iā€™ve had my share of door removals. Iā€™ve spoke with Jeep Corporate, which told me they havenā€™t had enough complaints about the plugs to have it as a known issue. I suggest to everyone who has this issue (JL or JT) to contact Jeep Corporate and let them know this is a common issue that the dealerships are saying is from user error. Again hard to believe this could be user error. Love my JT, just disappointed with this issue and now Iā€™m nervous to remove my doors.
Thanks,
Cary

OP
OP

jonaandcaleb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT
You know itā€™s funny that they say that havenā€™t had enough complaints about it, but yet they have a TSB about it that pretty much says, as you figured out, that itā€™s not a factory defect and is an user error and wouldnā€™t be covered under warranty. Seems like they have had complaints to issue a TSB.

Gatorized

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜06 CRV, ā€˜14 Mazda3, ā€˜20 JTR (Gator)
Here are pictures of the harnesses. The one with my hand is the passenger side. Can you see that there are less of the pins exposed than the other? Is other JTs the same as mine where the drivers side pins are exposed more?

FYI I did take the doors off and put them back and had the same issue. Bent them ever so slightly back and everything worked. Going to be very frustrating if I have to do this every time I remove the doors.

7227F5FE-9B4C-4BD9-9B18-3FF605AD8AC8.jpeg

52AE104E-6538-46EF-B208-3F7A6D4A990A.jpeg
Which pin(s) were you bending.

Sponsored

Clark222

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT Gladiator
I have a new JT (and new to the Jeep brand) and I am loving the no top no doors feeling. It's what sold me to the JT. With that said recently I put the doors back on and had issues with the BSM not working, the radio not turning off when opening the driver's door, and sometimes the auto start/stop feature wasn't available. Did some research and found out the pins were bent. I tried to fix it and ended up taking it to the dealership to have it fixed. I figured it was under warranty, but they said I caused the issue and after a few minutes of arguing over the phone, we settled on a price of labor for 2 hours ($200). They took a picture of it to show me what the issue was. Once I went back and picked it up, the final price was $135 and some change. I accepted that I did it wrong and paid for the service and told the service manager if I was doing it wrong (which I wasn't as I've done it a ton of times before without any issues), I asked him to show me the correct way to connect them back. He refused because he said there is a chance of them being misaligned and not longer working. After some "heighten" vocal exchanges, I left. I was thinking if I was truly doing something wrong I could correct it then or if the service manager put them back in and bent them putting it in, it wasn't my user error but an error on the manufacturing side of things. Now I have that fear of taking my doors off, I may mess up and bend the pins again.

Anyways I know the forums are full of the issue and how to fix the problem, but is there any pointers on how to keep them straight when replacing? I just want to keep them straight and perfect when putting them back on?

Also if you look inside the connection part tied to the vehicle is the exposed pins the same or is one different than the other? In my case the driver side has more of the pins exposed when compared to the passenger side.
This thread saved my day. I was in the middle of adding the proximity handles and I was getting all kinds of wired errors. I was just about to give up and this thread popped up. Ten minutes later everything was great!

OP
OP

jonaandcaleb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT
Awesome. Glad we could help you out. I love the proximity stuff!

DronePilot

First Name
Edwin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator 2020 Sport S
Occupation
Retired U.S Army
Hello to all members in the forum a newbee here with the same problem, I have taken off all doors a few times and now the passenger door has electrical issues as well both rear electric view mirrors, Checking your post I ran to the Gladiator to check the 2 front connectors but I dont have any bend pins so I wonder if could be a Fuse or relay. I just want to try before go to the dealer.'

OP
OP

jonaandcaleb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT
They donā€™t have to be bent a lot. They can barely be moved, which forces that ā€œpinā€ to push either above or below the connector. What exactly isnā€™t working? Assuming all passenger side? Does anything work? Does the window go up or down? Do you have blind spot? Does it work? Does the proximity sensors work (if you have them)? Does the power locks work? Does the door indicator say the door is open in your dash? Does the interior/map light come on when that door is open. You said the mirrors donā€™t work, is that both or just passenger?

Sponsored

DronePilot

First Name
Edwin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired U.S Army
OK, on the passenger side its not working from the inside the lock/unlock button, the electric rear view mirror and the vehicle does not recognized that the door its open or closed. On the drivers side works everything except the rear view mirror.

OP
OP

jonaandcaleb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT
I think itā€™s the connection to the door. Can you compare it to the passenger picture that I have above? You can try moving them around with a small screw driver or needle nose pliers. Move them just a little bit at a time and putting it back together. Make sure you fully insert it in and pull the latch all the way. When you put it in, the interior light should turn on within a few seconds. When you do that you know you are heading in the right direction. The other option is take it to the dealer but be prepared, it will cost; probably around 200 bucks just in purely labor and there is no guarantee it will stay fixed.

DronePilot

First Name
Edwin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired U.S Army
I think itā€™s the connection to the door. Can you compare it to the passenger picture that I have above? You can try moving them around with a small screw driver or needle nose pliers. Move them just a little bit at a time and putting it back together. Make sure you fully insert it in and pull the latch all the way. When you put it in, the interior light should turn on within a few seconds. When you do that you know you are heading in the right direction. The other option is take it to the dealer but be prepared, it will cost; probably around 200 bucks just in purely labor and there is no guarantee it will stay fixed.
Well after reading, double reading and triple reading your post this morning I decided to unplug the passenger door one more time and pulled the male connector from the side panel of the jeep and take a real good look at the connector using a bright flashlight. I noticed a medium pin and 2 of the really skinny pins were bent just slightly different from the others pins used a fine set of needle nose pliers kind of straightened just a little bit and WALLA everything its working now. I would like to mention that the plug for the passenger side door controls or give power to both electric power rear view mirrors D/S and P/S. Thanks very much this forum its highly useful.

Chinz67

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Hydra Blue Gladiator Sport
Occupation
Retired
I love my JT... But what's the point if you can't take the doors off! Should have just bought a regular mid size truck. What do the engineers think is going to happen if you make them fragile. Then blame it on the customers. Looks like my doors won't be coming off.

eaglerugby04

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gator Rubicon Gladiator, Toyota Prius, Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Network Security
I love my JT... But what's the point if you can't take the doors off! Should have just bought a regular mid size truck. What do the engineers think is going to happen if you make them fragile. Then blame it on the customers. Looks like my doors won't be coming off.
Totally agree here. The removable doors and top are the main reason I went with this. Probably going to get some hate, love my JT, but would have went with a tacoma if FCA is saying the doors should not be removed.
Sponsored