Sponsored

Buying a gladiator in two weeks, still cant decide on the trim package ... Thoughts?

rhinomanj

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SUV
I havent owned a Jeep before and to be truthful, I havent owned a car in 10 years. Cost is not a concern. I will seldom take it off road and probably wont haul anything but my road bikes. That said, I like the slightly bigger tires (not the huge mudders), love the vented hood, and the coated bed ... but feel like the way it drives on the Highway is going to be the biggest factor to my satisfaction. That said. I would welcome any advice and comments?
- Configurations
- Negotiation (even though cost isnt a concern, I dont want to pay too much)
- Things to ask as part of the deal ????

THanks in advance!
Sponsored

MyGeekDaddy

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Overland Gladiator
Occupation
Engineer
My JT is my first Jeep and I was blown away with how easily it is to be modified. So do you have any ideas on what changes you want to make to your JT after you purchase it? Because some things are better done after you purchase it than from the dealership.

I'm assuming this will be your daily driver.

OP
OP

rhinomanj

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SUV
My JT is my first Jeep and I was blown away with how easily it is to be modified. So do you have any ideas on what changes you want to make to your JT after you purchase it? Because some things are better done after you purchase it than from the dealership.

I'm assuming this will be your daily driver.
Definitely a daily driver. Was planning to have the running boards that contract and the hood with vents. Not planning a lift kit, just slightly bigger tires (depending on how that would impact the steering issues I am reading about).

kevman65

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
J
There are a million different opinions for this.

Buy most inexpensive and build what you want.
Buy fully loaded from dealer and don't change anything.

Those are the two opposite ends.

I have owned Jeeps before. I bought a Rubicon. My reasoning, the highest trim level of a model is generally worth more on the back end at trade-in or personal sale.

I truly only wanted Sport S with Max Tow. At the time of purchase they were like hens teeth.
So I went with the Rubicon.

Good luck with your purchase and enjoy your ride.

DirtySaylor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland
If you want to blow an extra $23k get the rubicon. You'll get some generic yet "upgraded" steel wheels and a sweet looking hood. Basically the sport and rubicon are the same jeep, minus the 4.10 gears, which you'll only need if you are towing your aunt flossy's mobile home. So for an extra $23,000 you get to have the prada of car badges "rubicon". After much research I just couldn't justify paying $63k for a loaded tits out rubicon. Paid 41k for an overland and tricked it out and it's a fraction of the price of a rubicon which does not have anything special in the engine department or body mods. WHY people insist on the rubicon and overpaying boggles the mind when 98% of jeep owners don't offroad. Waste of money and an ego circle jerk if u ask me

Sponsored

OP
OP

rhinomanj

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SUV
If you want to blow an extra $23k get the rubicon. You'll get some generic yet "upgraded" steel wheels and a sweet looking hood. Basically the sport and rubicon are the same jeep, minus the 4.10 gears, which you'll only need if you are towing your aunt flossy's mobile home. So for an extra $23,000 you get to have the prada of car badges "rubicon". After much research I just couldn't justify paying $63k for a loaded tits out rubicon. Paid 41k for an overland and tricked it out and it's a fraction of the price of a rubicon which does not have anything special in the engine department or body mods. WHY people insist on the rubicon and overpaying boggles the mind when 98% of jeep owners don't offroad. Waste of money and an ego circle jerk if u ask me
I appreciate the point of view. Currently, the Overland is at the top of the list mostly because I dont think I need the heavier axles but I want leather seats. Its been very hard to find any consistent feedback / opinions / reviews comparing the highway ride between the Rubicon and the Overland (and the Mojave for that matter).

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Gladiator High Altitude - 2013 Nissan Leaf SV
Vehicle Showcase
I havent owned a Jeep before and to be truthful, I havent owned a car in 10 years. Cost is not a concern. I will seldom take it off road and probably wont haul anything but my road bikes. That said, I like the slightly bigger tires (not the huge mudders), love the vented hood, and the coated bed ... but feel like the way it drives on the Highway is going to be the biggest factor to my satisfaction. That said. I would welcome any advice and comments?
- Configurations
- Negotiation (even though cost isnt a concern, I dont want to pay too much)
- Things to ask as part of the deal ????

THanks in advance!
Unless you know you will be keeping it a short time (few years), treat it like it may be the last truck you buy. Order it the way you want it, with all the options and comfort features. Don't sacrifice what you want, or accept less because you might be able to add it later, especially if it is going to be your daily driver.

If your local dealers are not easy to work with, there are plenty of out of town dealers (some are sponsors here) to work with.

Andrew05LJR

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator, 2015 911 C2S
I custom ordered a loaded JLUR last year. That Jeep lasted 5 months before I dumped it. The sticker price on my JLUR was more than my wife's high trim Audi Q5, thats just insane for a Jeep. I don't have the luxury of off-roading much down here in the swamp so the Rubicon needs aren't there for me. I'm a Jeep guy, have had 10 different ones, including 2 LJ Rubicons. I now own a Sport S with a decent option list. Much happier to have modern comforts without the price tag of a used 911, which is my other vehicle in the garage.

I do like the Rubicon flares, which mine will get, LED lights, but I am adding Mopar lift and 37s. May regear next month.

My point is, buy a Rubicon if you're going to need what it offers, which it offers a lot and is worth it, if you need it. See my point?

BAT

First Name
Blaine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Sport S Max Tow Sting Grey
Your gonna get a 1000 different views on this. Here's mine. I got what I could afford. If I could have afforded a Rubicon or Majave I maybe would have bought one. But that wasn't in the cards and I played around with the Overland being it would be a daily driver but I tow things and haul things so I decided to go with the Sport S Max tow which is what I could get and still have a nice bit of money left for putting on Rubi take off's and other odds & ends. If all you can swing is lower end go for it and then buy up everyone else's Rubicon take off parts for cheap. Then you will have a Semi Rubi. But honestly any model you get will be pretty much good to go out the dealership and can do a lot of stuff.

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Gladiator High Altitude - 2013 Nissan Leaf SV
Vehicle Showcase
I appreciate the point of view. Currently, the Overland is at the top of the list mostly because I dont think I need the heavier axles but I want leather seats. Its been very hard to find any consistent feedback / opinions / reviews comparing the highway ride between the Rubicon and the Overland (and the Mojave for that matter).
I bought an Overland, with every option available, in July 2019. It was the only one in the valley, and probably one of the first dealer orders. The only thing missing was a block heater, and front camera (still not an option, dealer said it would be available later as an add-on). If I was to purchase now, it would likely be a Mojave (that I would have to order to get it fully equipped).

Sponsored

Gvsukids

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
Occupation
Delivery Driver
Definitely a daily driver. Was planning to have the running boards that contract and the hood with vents. Not planning a lift kit, just slightly bigger tires (depending on how that would impact the steering issues I am reading about).
You can always buy the hood later.

Shackleton

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gobi Gladiator Sport S Max Tow, Camry
I’m a new jeep owner and bought a sport s with max tow. I’ve had it for 1800 miles most of which have been highway. As a daily driver it is very comfortable. I wanted to have the ability to tow and have extra payload as I came from a full size truck. I can say from a comfort perspective I’m very happy. I thought the stock Overland didn’t quite look right with the stock wheels and tires and the max tow gives you the wider fenders I think. Ill Never need what a RUBICON or MOJAVE offers but they definitely look awesome.

Moe_Fugga

Banned
Banned
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator
If money was no option I would have a Mojave. Best suspension offered and that hood :blush:

Since you don’t want to lift anything the Mojave comes with the best suspension for that. Best factory suspension around. My middle class Sport S (haha) felt too soft from the factory. Bounced around everywhere and rolled too much through corners. I imagine the Mojave would not have that issue. Plus it is pretty much level and ready for a nice set of 34x11.50s. IMO 35x12.50s are too much for a factory JT. Too stuffed looking. Again, that’s my opinion. I know others will disagree that bigger is better.

Arcticelf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator, '13 Tacoma
I have the overland edition because I wanted leather. And I'm spending money on aftermarket suspension.

Otherwise I'd have the sport edition with the convenience package and mid-size screen. And spend some of the savings on aftermarket suspension.

If you're not going to wheel hard the Rubicon upgrades don't matter as much.
Sponsored