First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Launch Edition
Occupation
Geek
And for even more less, a Prodigy 2 or 3. And then you can move it between vehicles if needed.
Sponsored

Solidaxle

Banned
Banned
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon
This is a thread about the jeep trailer brake controller. There are hundreds of other threads on hundreds of other brands of trailer brake controller's. This particular thread is dedicated to the jeep OEM trailer brake controller. If that's not your bag find another thread.
Common sense

Harold0819

First Name
Harold
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sting Gray Gladiator Rubicon, 2008 Jeep JKU, 2019 Grand Cherokee Trailhawk Hemi
Shadowspapa, I have to locate my build date and then I can give you all my info for your chart. Mine has worked successfully so far. Pulled my trailer today. Everything functions as it should including the manual brake button.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Shadowspapa, I have to locate my build date and then I can give you all my info for your chart. Mine has worked successfully so far. Pulled my trailer today. Everything functions as it should including the manual brake button.
Door jamb sticker, MDH will tell Month, Day, Hour...........
Thanks for info so far. I'm glad it works - maybe a date will give more info - or not, either way, thanks.

Would anyone who has NOT installed their Mopar controller be willing to check the 4 wire harness (that connects the controller box to the Jeep's wiring) for a diode?
It should be the white wire if I recall correctly (on Redarc it's red)

Jeep Gladiator Mopar Trailer Brake Controller for Jeep Gladiator Officially Released (Part # 82215652AB) IMG_20201030_103332

Sponsored

SwampNut

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Geek
including the manual brake button.
One detail I've been wondering about... When you hit manual brake, does it just go to whatever maximum level you have set? Or is there a way to ease in and control it? On regular box-style controllers there's a lever that will manually apply it proportionally to the lever throw. I can't see a way to do that on the Mopar version, but am I missing something?

Harold0819

First Name
Harold
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sting Gray Gladiator Rubicon, 2008 Jeep JKU, 2019 Grand Cherokee Trailhawk Hemi
One detail I've been wondering about... When you hit manual brake, does it just go to whatever maximum level you have set? Or is there a way to ease in and control it? On regular box-style controllers there's a lever that will manually apply it proportionally to the lever throw. I can't see a way to do that on the Mopar version, but am I missing something?

The dial is number 1-10. You rotate it clockwise with the manual button in the middle. The braking gain is higher with each number. You can also go between the numbers so you have 20 gain settings to choose from. You turn it to the number, press the manual button and see if the drag/gain is where you want it. My 1800lb aluminum car hauler empty drove nice at about 3. Truck stopped like it wasn't there, no locking up. If I went up to 4, I woul dsee tires start to lock up on trailer when braking.

SwampNut

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Geek
Right, that's how you set it for automatic braking, right? But what I'm curious about is after you set it, can you then manual brake to a different setting? So on a normal controller you have the dial to set the auto maximum, and you have a separate lever to manually brake proportionally.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
The dial is number 1-10. You rotate it clockwise with the manual button in the middle. The braking gain is higher with each number. You can also go between the numbers so you have 20 gain settings to choose from. You turn it to the number, press the manual button and see if the drag/gain is where you want it. My 1800lb aluminum car hauler empty drove nice at about 3. Truck stopped like it wasn't there, no locking up. If I went up to 4, I woul dsee tires start to lock up on trailer when braking.
I'll have to try it with this controller, but my 1500 pound Aluma tilt bed car hauler (1600 with spare, tool box and tools) needed 4 to stop smoothly with the Redarc. So maybe this one is close in the numbers. Won't matter, I'll have to test once the weather settles and I hook up again.

The detent in mine isn't easy to feel. The knob turns hard enough (not real smooth) and the detents aren't pronounced very well but it will definitely hold setting better than the Redarc which had no detent and turned waay too easy. It was too easy to change by just brushing against it.

jwilson2899

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon Launch Edition
Occupation
System Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
Door jamb sticker, MDH will tell Month, Day, Hour...........
Thanks for info so far. I'm glad it works - maybe a date will give more info - or not, either way, thanks.

Would anyone who has NOT installed their Mopar controller be willing to check the 4 wire harness (that connects the controller box to the Jeep's wiring) for a diode?
It should be the white wire if I recall correctly (on Redarc it's red)

Jeep Gladiator Mopar Trailer Brake Controller for Jeep Gladiator Officially Released (Part # 82215652AB) IMG_20201030_103332
I checked my Mopar harness and it did not have a diode. All 4 wires ring out full continuity from both directions. The Tekonsha 3073-P with diode rings out like you described the Redarc harness, they one slight beep, then no sound and a reading on the red wire, other 3 ring out full continuity as expected.

Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I checked my Mopar harness and it did not have a diode. All 4 wires ring out full continuity from both directions. The Tekonsha 3073-P with diode rings out like you described the Redarc harness, they one slight beep, then no sound and a reading on the red wire, other 3 ring out full continuity as expected.
I'm hoping someone with a working unit checks theirs to see if what you and I got were different in some way, such as that wiring harness thing.
But it's hard to ask someone who has a fully working controller to go take the harness back out, check it for a diode, and put it back. That's a bit of work to ask of someone who isn't having any problems with it.
Maybe if those who have not yet installed theirs checks and reports back - and then if it workse or not.

What Jeff and I have shown is that two of us who have the problem controller situation also do not have the diode.
What's needed - find if any of those that work just fine have a diode in line.

When something doesn't work - the first things you ask in troubleshooting -
"what changed" (if it used to work and then stopped)
or
"what's different" (if one works and another "identical" unit doesn't work. )

Goal - find what's different between those that worked out of the box and those that did not.

Gatorized

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘06 CRV, ‘14 Mazda3, ‘20 JTR (Gator)
Perhaps the mopar controller has the diode built into the controller... and those with the issue have a bad controller right out of the box. You’ going to have to swap out that controller for a new one just to rule that out.

OMTBiker

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLUR, '21 JLU 80th | Past '20 JTR, '18 JLUR
I returned mine today, asked the person at the dealership to let me know if they release a new part number and order one. I have the Curt Echo currently and do not tow that much but want the Mopar controller for my Gladiator and the other half’s Wrangler. I prefer hard wired over the inline adapter that has a potential to disconnect.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Perhaps the mopar controller has the diode built into the controller... and those with the issue have a bad controller right out of the box. You’ going to have to swap out that controller for a new one just to rule that out.
Can't rule out anything at this point.

Is it a controller "box" issue?
Only swapping will tell - but then, no, because there's a chance of getting a second one that has an issue - then what?
If I go to the dealer and say I want a new controller - and plug that in and still have problems - then back to - is it the truck or the harness - or another bad controller?

I'd have to have a proven, known, working one to know for sure.

Mine is new - and yet.........
Jeff's was new.........

Can't say early vs. later ordered and installed because some of the first installs did work.

But I agree -it absolutely could be a difference in the controller itself.
Proving that will take a known working controller, not just another one.

The positive of this is - the truck is still perfectly functional otherwise - and I don't need the controller to work until March.

Academyguy12

First Name
Malcolm
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Military
Jeep Gladiator Mopar Trailer Brake Controller for Jeep Gladiator Officially Released (Part # 82215652AB) 044DD5A4-59F8-4180-B3FB-907D1B3E90FF

after much debating with the dealership about the wire harness and ECU flashing they were trying to get me to pay for. They came across this STAR report.
Bottom line they are aware the controller isn’t working and there is no fix currently
Sponsored