First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Stingray Gray
Occupation
Sales
@EWP I was thinking the exact same thing and was about to ask @RSI North America Inc the same question. I am leaning towards the ROAM Vagabond XL tent, and was going to ask them next.
Sponsored

LaRock

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Sport S, 2007 JKU, 1989 YJ
One thing to think about is the Positive Pressure Filtered Air Vent, it looks higher than the roof rails.

EWP

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeeps
One thing to think about is the Positive Pressure Filtered Air Vent, it looks higher than the roof rails.
Yes, it's about 1/2" higher than the channels. I have about 8" to spare on top of the cap to still fit in my garage. Several RTTs are in the 6-7" range leaving a very fine margin for load bars etc. I'm toying with ideas using extruded aluminum in the 3/4-1" range that might work directly affixed to the RSI and just clear the vent:

https://www.tnutz.com/product/ex-3075/
https://www.tnutz.com/product/ex-1020-black/

JBahr

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Stingray Gray
Occupation
Sales
Yeah I was thinking some unistrut would work, need to research the loading though. Accessing the bolts/nuts to tighten everything may be a barrier. Interested to see what people come up with.

LaRock

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Sport S, 2007 JKU, 1989 YJ
Ah, now I see where your mentioned the spacer for the vent in your post.

If I get to the point of mounting a RTT to the RSI I was thinking of fabing up some cross bars similar to Alu-Cabs low profile cross bars to keep everything as low as possible.

first of course the RSI has to ship/show up, it’s only been a month and a half.

Sponsored

Jaxmax

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeeps....... 2021 Mojave , 2019 Wrangler
Occupation
Electrical Manager
First off, I am NOT going the RTT for now but perhaps if the RTT company says they can be supported by the distance between the rails start by inserting a pair of nuts in rear of track with spacers on top of rail then have the front of roof top tent loosely bolted to them , then just slide tent front and keep repeating process, until you get to the last ones then tighten them all up, really need to size bolts proper length and use fender washer lock washer and cap nut inside.....it’s just a thought!......Jack

Last edited:

johng

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 F150 Lariat
The main consideration of whether you need cross bars or not is determined by the orientation of the support bars under the RTT you choose.
For example the Bush Company supports run side to side so with the correct mounting bracket you could go straight to the canopy channels. https://www.thebushcompany.com/product-category/4wd_accessories/roof_top_tents/fitment-solutions/
If the supports run front to back you will have to have crossbars to support the RTT.

I think a Bush Comany Alpha https://www.thebushcompany.com/product/clamshell-roof-top-tent-alpha/ with the Z-rails https://www.thebushcompany.com/product/z-rails/ would be perfect.

SmartCap

Peak Sponsor (Level 2)
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.smartcap.com
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator, Tacoma, Tundra, F Series, Silverado...
Question for RSI: I'm looking at options to mount a very low profile rooftop tent. Is there any reason why an aluminum base tent can't be semi-permanently mounted directly to the roof channels on the Smartcap? In other words, are load bars a necessity? It seems that if one can find a solution for the mounting (not a given), the load would be more evenly distributed if the aluminum base of the tend rested directly on the roof channels or nearly so with a small spacer for the vent. Thanks.
You’ll need to begin by using M8 stainless steel square weld nuts in the Roof Rails and you’ll also need to use a mounting platform of some sort to raise the bottom of the RTT above the height of the Positive pressure air vent and simultaneously help disperse the weight load. The height difference between the top of the Roof Rails and top of the Positive Pressure Air Vent is 10mm (a little under 1/2"). https://www.amazon.com/Stainless-St...8011&s=industrial&sr=1-4&ts_id=307022011&th=1)

bquiz

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland
Jeep Gladiator RSI Smartcap 1D48A399-CE1E-4C8D-A96A-2DF0E472E063
Jeep Gladiator RSI Smartcap A9348F3E-3CD5-440F-BECA-4E648125A88E

Whelp... 4 months 25 days later it’s finally here! and i must say, worth every day of waiting. best looking topper on the market hands down. d-ring definitely pretty tight on the tailgate, so ill be fixing that first but overall im pumped. my half bin was a no-show but was told february sometime it should get here.

Sponsored

NORDNDED

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR, 2016 JKUR, 2015 JKURHR, 2015 F150, 1973 Ford Bronco
Well it showed up, damaged of course. Whoever thought the way it is packaged would suffice for transportation halfway around the world should be fired.. There is zero protection for the roof panels box corners both inside and out and the whole box was banded to the side of the main box allowing it to drag the floor. If they had put half the effort into packaging that they did in the social media hype then this would be a non-issue.

I’m most likely sending it back since @RSI North America Inc did not answer my question on availability of new panels, I don’t want a repaired roof. We’ll see what ORA comes up with in terms of replacement but damn, how disappointing this is after being on board since the springtime..
Jeep Gladiator RSI Smartcap 3C6D2422-C3F6-4164-B8B5-AFEF0CD7E80E
Jeep Gladiator RSI Smartcap CB4872A5-0322-4FC1-81BD-9F426921AE1B
Jeep Gladiator RSI Smartcap 40C342E8-04CC-4FB0-A605-65CEA6AD3099
Jeep Gladiator RSI Smartcap D930DC2E-92EA-45BF-B60F-C6B6631EFEFB
Jeep Gladiator RSI Smartcap image

briscoelab

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JTRD, 2021 JLUR, 2020 Gladiator LE
Man, I'm sorry to see yours is screw up. The damage is almost identical to the way mine was bent (although your corner is worse than mine, by far). I agree, it was packaged in a terrible way.

Even more of a problem is that RSI did not order in ANY spares for warranty issues like this. They still haven't set any aside, despite more shipments coming in. You'd think it would be possible to pull a few orders and delay people who ordered theirs much later, so they could fix the broken ones from the first round of shipments.

I opted to have my roof panel fixed at a body shop. They did a near perfect job. It sucks to have a damaged panel, but it is on the roof and will never be seen.

When I assembled mine and noticed the rear lift gate door was also bent... that's when I got pretty upset. It's still sitting in my garage, not installed. I've been promised a replacement rear lift gate at some point. Part of me just wishes I'd gotten my money back and went with something else. But the design of the RSI and utility is still the best out there.

Off-road Alliance were quick to help me get things sorted out as best they can. I'm not going to be a dick and demand a refund/discount from them (yet). But they are stuck with no replacement parts available and at the mercy of RSI and Keystone. Simply a botched product rollout, which is too bad.

CMac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JT, Toyota Highlander, HD FLHRC and FLSTSCI
Occupation
Professional Aviator
Well it showed up, damaged of course. Whoever thought the way it is packaged would suffice for transportation halfway around the world should be fired.. There is zero protection for the roof panels box corners both inside and out and the whole box was banded to the side of the main box allowing it to drag the floor. If they had put half the effort into packaging that they did in the social media hype then this would be a non-issue.

I’m most likely sending it back since @RSI North America Inc did not answer my question on availability of new panels, I don’t want a repaired roof. We’ll see what ORA comes up with in terms of replacement but damn, how disappointing this is after being on board since the springtime..
I'd be sending that right back.... not another second needed to consider.
Sponsored