RSI Smartcap

briscoelab

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JTRD, 2021 JLUR, 2020 Gladiator LE
It's also interesting that yours showed up packaged like mine. By that I mean:

1. On a very small 1/3 sized pallet.
2. Roof Panel not attached to the larger box.
3. No shrink wrap around the boxes.

It's odd because mine came in the first shipment and yours much later. They claimed to have adjusted the shipping/packaging based off of the damage sustained by multiple units in the first shipment. We've seen caps arrive that have been packaged differently.

I wonder how yours showed up without the better packaging, despite arriving much later than mine.
Sponsored

NORDNDED

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR, 2016 JKUR, 2015 JKURHR, 2015 F150, 1973 Ford Bronco
Man, I'm sorry to see yours is screw up. The damage is almost identical to the way mine was bent (although your corner is worse than mine, by far). I agree, it was packaged in a terrible way.

Even more of a problem is that RSI did not order in ANY spares for warranty issues like this. They still haven't set any aside, despite more shipments coming in. You'd think it would be possible to pull a few orders and delay people who ordered theirs much later, so they could fix the broken ones from the first round of shipments.

I opted to have my roof panel fixed at a body shop. They did a near perfect job. It sucks to have a damaged panel, but it is on the roof and will never be seen.

When I assembled mine and noticed the rear lift gate door was also bent... that's when I got pretty upset. It's still sitting in my garage, not installed. I've been promised a replacement rear lift gate at some point. Part of me just wishes I'd gotten my money back and went with something else. But the design of the RSI and utility is still the best out there.

Off-road Alliance were quick to help me get things sorted out as best they can. I'm not going to be a dick and demand a refund/discount from them (yet). But they are stuck with no replacement parts available and at the mercy of RSI and Keystone. Simply a botched product rollout, which is too bad.
Off Road Alliance immediately offered to pick it back up for a refund so they have been great to work with I must say.

When I get home I’m going to open the main box and see how everything else looks. If its all ok inside ORA thinks that @RSI North America Inc might be willing to discount it if I keep it and repair it myself. I can TIG weld the corner back together after straightening it out. I otherwise could care less about the dent in my previous pics. Then just touching up the paint which I can also do. We’ll see how it works out..

briscoelab

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@RSI North America Inc paid a body shop to fix mine. If I wasn’t happy with the result they offered to ship a new panel when they were available (after the shop was done). They didn’t have to weld mine though. Just straighten some bent flanges and work on a small crease in the top and touch up paint work. No body filler.

Sponsored

LaRock

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Sport S, 2007 JKU, 1989 YJ
I got a call from FedEx Freight that my SmartCap will be delivered Monday. Only a month and a half since placing my order with NorthRidge 4X4. Fingers crossed no damage.

Mtpisgah

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTM, 2018 JLR
Occupation
Engineer
@NORDNDED and @briscoelab, did you guys suspect that the panels were damage before you opened the boxes? I plan to assemble it myself also and do not if I want to deal with even taking it home from the shop I ordered from if I think it is damaged.

Walter-new jeeper

First Name
Walter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Expedition, Escape, Ocean Blue Wrangler JLUR, Firecracker Red Gladiator Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
It's also interesting that yours showed up packaged like mine. By that I mean:

1. On a very small 1/3 sized pallet.
2. Roof Panel not attached to the larger box.
3. No shrink wrap around the boxes.

It's odd because mine came in the first shipment and yours much later. They claimed to have adjusted the shipping/packaging based off of the damage sustained by multiple units in the first shipment. We've seen caps arrive that have been packaged differently.

I wonder how yours showed up without the better packaging, despite arriving much later than mine.
Unfortunately any adjustment they made to packaging at the source would not have been done in time for that shipment. You have to figure that it takes about a month by ship to get from SA to the port in the US (New England states?). So that would mean that probably the current en-route shipment has the corrected packaging. The packaging issues was not brought up and shown until what - about a month or two ago? And the land shipment this person got probably left before any reinforcement to the packing could be made. Nothing happens instantaneously except may combustion. New product has updated packaging, stuff in transit prior to the change - nope.

briscoelab

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
My roof panel box was Visibly mangled. But it wouldn’t have done me any good to refuse delivery. I already knew it was a possibility to get a damaged roof. OA made sure to let me know they could arrange it to be picked back up if I desired.

Now, the real surprise was that every internal box, within in the large shipping box, also had holes in them from the panels moving around. The large box had no holes or damage on the outside.

My rear lift gate was/is bent as well. I didn’t notice it until after bolting everything up. So some of it you just aren’t going to be able to tell until you get the boxes open.

Sponsored

Mtpisgah

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTM, 2018 JLR
Occupation
Engineer
My roof panel box was Visibly mangled. But it wouldn’t have done me any good to refuse delivery. I already knew it was a possibility to get a damaged roof. OA made sure to let me know they could arrange it to be picked back up if I desired.

Now, the real surprise was that every internal box, within in the large shipping box, also had holes in them from the panels moving around. The large box had no holes or damage on the outside.

My rear lift gate was/is bent as well. I didn’t notice it until after bolting everything up. So some of it you just aren’t going to be able to tell until you get the boxes open.
Thanks for the response. It is unfortunate that they are coming in damaged, I wonder what the percentage is. At this point mine is probably on the next shipment since I have not heard from my dealer, so maybe they will fix the packaging by then.

PhantomChameleon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gator Gladiator Rubicon
Had a new issue pop up today - there was 2 streams of melted glue/sealant coming from the seal around the base of each of the two window latches on the passenger side of the topper. Its definitely not hot outside right now here in Colorado, so not sure what caused this to happen.

The sun shines through the window of my garage and does seem to shine onto the latches on that side for a couple hours during the day, but it still does not get very warm at all so not sure how that could possibly cause the glue/sealant around the latch area to melt and run down the window.

Curious to hear if anyone else has noticed this happening with theirs?

Jaxmax

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeeps....... 2021 Mojave , 2019 Wrangler
Occupation
Electrical Manager
Any chance gease or some lube?..........jack

JBahr

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Stingray Gray
Occupation
Sales
Had a new issue pop up today - there was 2 streams of melted glue/sealant coming from the seal around the base of each of the two window latches on the passenger side of the topper. Its definitely not hot outside right now here in Colorado, so not sure what caused this to happen.

The sun shines through the window of my garage and does seem to shine onto the latches on that side for a couple hours during the day, but it still does not get very warm at all so not sure how that could possibly cause the glue/sealant around the latch area to melt and run down the window.

Curious to hear if anyone else has noticed this happening with theirs?
Had the same thing happen. Also in Colorado... seemed it was direct sunlight that did it. I have already contacted RSI and was instructed to submit a warranty claim by RSI NA. No response yet, They were out until today according to RSI NA.

PhantomChameleon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gator Gladiator Rubicon
Had the same thing happen. Also in Colorado... seemed it was direct sunlight that did it. I have already contacted RSI and was instructed to submit a warranty claim by RSI NA. No response yet, They were out until today according to RSI NA.
Interesting...did this keep happening or was it a onetime thing? And I wonder why they told you to submit a warranty claim...my hope was that it was just a one time thing that would not cause any lasting issues. That response though has me worried that they think it'll be a bigger issue.

I guess I'll reach out to them about it too and see what happens...I love this thing but man, its been a bummer with one thing after another popping up needing to be dealt with.
Sponsored