RSI Smartcap

bhadfield

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Thanks to everyone that has posted in this thread with updated information and fixes. The first batch of caps finally made it out to the west coast and just installed mine this weekend and not surprisingly I ran into the same issue that everyone else has with the tailgate clearance.

I've read through the 35 pages of posts a couple of times and I still don't quite understand the exact placement of the fix with the 9/16" spacers in the back. It seems that some people have installed them under the clamp closest to the tailgate but when I look at the pictures and video posted by RSi it appears that they are under the very rear of the cap, further back than than the clamp closest to the tailgate?

I'm working on tracking down some 9/16" rubber to resolve this but if anyone has a definitive thought on the placement of the spacer(s) I would appreciate that. @RSI North America Inc is there any additional guidance?

Appreciate everyone's input on this. It seems like there are a lot of people frustrated by the damaged deliveries and shim requirements (which I understand) but from my perspective this cap is head and shoulders above anything else on the market for the Gladiator so I'm willing to work through some fixes with RSi to get it right.
Sponsored

HeyYoSchmitty

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gator Green Jeep Gladiator
Thanks to everyone that has posted in this thread with updated information and fixes. The first batch of caps finally made it out to the west coast and just installed mine this weekend and not surprisingly I ran into the same issue that everyone else has with the tailgate clearance.

I've read through the 35 pages of posts a couple of times and I still don't quite understand the exact placement of the fix with the 9/16" spacers in the back. It seems that some people have installed them under the clamp closest to the tailgate but when I look at the pictures and video posted by RSi it appears that they are under the very rear of the cap, further back than than the clamp closest to the tailgate?

I'm working on tracking down some 9/16" rubber to resolve this but if anyone has a definitive thought on the placement of the spacer(s) I would appreciate that. @RSI North America Inc is there any additional guidance?

Appreciate everyone's input on this. It seems like there are a lot of people frustrated by the damaged deliveries and shim requirements (which I understand) but from my perspective this cap is head and shoulders above anything else on the market for the Gladiator so I'm willing to work through some fixes with RSi to get it right.
So, you can buy rubber gasket material in the plumbing section. If you stack them on the supplied black piece, you can get your 9/16". I glued mine with superglue once I had the size right. I ended up starting with 5/8" because after the clamps are tightened, there is some compression. It worked perfectly and cheap.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/DANCO-6-in-x-6-in-Rubber-Packing-Sheets-59849/203193498

As for placement, I put mine right after the beveled part of the tailgate. Just make sure it isn't interfering with the D-gasket.

bhadfield

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Thanks Mike. It sounds like you put the larger spacer under the clamp nearest the tailgate? Is that correct, in some other pictures it appears that some people put them even further back which is what I was trying to get my head around. Appreciate the link and the information!

bhadfield

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Thanks Mike. It sounds like you put the larger spacer under the clamp nearest the tailgate? Is that correct, in some other pictures it appears that some people put them even further back which is what I was trying to get my head around. Appreciate the link and the information!
Sorry.. in re-reading I think I answered my own question. Thanks!

PhantomChameleon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gator Gladiator Rubicon
My higher spacers are at the corners by the tailgate.

Im considering adding a little more height to all the pads along the side of the bed, as just the taller ones at the tailgate corners leaves things still a little tight.

Sponsored

HeyYoSchmitty

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gator Green Jeep Gladiator
My higher spacers are at the corners by the tailgate.

Im considering adding a little more height to all the pads along the side of the bed, as just the taller ones at the tailgate corners leaves things still a little tight.
That's why I went 5/8" at the end. But, you are right. 1/16" +/- to each pad probably would help. That gasket looks pretty tight. We just had a big snow and its drying up. I'll be washing the salt off and I'll see if I have any leaks.

Jaxmax

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeeps....... 2021 Mojave , 2019 Wrangler
Occupation
Electrical Manager
I don't think there are many really frustrated, but some got damaged ones, at least 4 I think posted here., and that sucks! You are going to have a real hard time finding 9/16" hard rubber spacers, the ones that RSI sent are hard rubber, most out there are meduim or soft hardness, which will move more and settle more,yes I spent hours looking.
I am thrilled with my top and Mojave has been in the cold, rain, and snow, been through the car wash, and beings I'm a Mojave owner I'm still jumping RR crossings and speed bumps like a 16 year old , no problems with top, doesn't leak at car wash other then around lower tailgate and rear hatch works awesome, smooth no drag of gasket!
I'm building an overland kitchen slide, found a fridge that fits above the wheel well accesable from outside (no slide), and have slept in it already with tailgate and hatch closed, I ususlly sleep on my side in a fetal position anyway, but thrilled, no RRT tent needed.
THE FIX
I had posted my fix, you should have received 8 thick square spacers, and 6 thinner ones. the thinner ones are to put under the clamp when clamping down the top to not scratch top. Take the 6 thinner ones cut all of them in half, giving you 12, using a very thin double sided (foamless tape) like 3M 2 side tape and stick eight of them onto the large pads, stick six of the large pads onto the bottom of the cap right between the gasket you stuck on the the edge of cap, I installed my front and back side ones as far front and back as I could, worked out to be about 23" from the center one, look under the jeep bed rail before doing anything and see where there are bumps or clips. Drink a beer, almost done bud!
OK, take two of the remaining four small pieces you cut and stick one on each of the rear most pads you stuck on bottom of cap before you started drinking! Screw it almost done drink another beer you are gonna need it! Just reading this sucks!
OK! You should have two sqare pads with a small one stuck to them, and two small ones left yet, stick the small ones onto of those two stacked spacers, now comes the hard part, I screwed it up and wasn't drinking that is why I'm telling you to drink. My thought was keep them as close to the edge towards inside of tailgate, , doesn't have to be , you will (but not yet) stick them back against the gasket as far towards rear as possible, but not to the point you are coming towrds center of truck, this is where drunks do better.
Ok, step back away from cap spin around three times, if you are still standing drink another beer and stick them son- a- bitches where they need to go.
OK you are too drunk to flip it and lift it into place, take a break, I did it with two of us and my daughter yanking the RSI box from under it, yes we put all the packing boxes back inside the big box, duct taped it closed, flipped it upside down then we flipped top over right side up, and set carefully on box, it was fine!
When you set it on the truck line the front edge of the cap up with the front edge of the bed caps (there are pictures in thread), get it side to side using the ridges on bed cap as guides. (NOW we will see if you read all the way through this or not) Go get any thin rubber perhaps 1/8 thick, I used pieces of rubber roofing, cut strips the width of the clamps and make them long enough to go up inside edge all the way under the clamp and then come up over the clamp a bit, so there is actually no where the clamp can touch or rub the top, not the outside edge, not the top of flange , and not that little bit hanging down.
There ya go should be perfect, in not ya had more then three beers didn't cha!...Jack

Jaxmax

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Electrical Manager
Boys, I can't type fast enough, Happy New Year!............jack

bhadfield

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Thanks boys! That makes much more sense now, will give it a shot tonight.

Sponsored

JBahr

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Stingray Gray
Occupation
Sales
Interesting...did this keep happening or was it a onetime thing? And I wonder why they told you to submit a warranty claim...my hope was that it was just a one time thing that would not cause any lasting issues. That response though has me worried that they think it'll be a bigger issue.

I guess I'll reach out to them about it too and see what happens...I love this thing but man, its been a bummer with one thing after another popping up needing to be dealt with.
So it happened to both gullwing doors when they were in direct sunlight on two different occasions. Probably 60F outside. Then it got cold and I decided to clean them. Pretty sticky stuff!!! Hasn't really warmed up enough to happen again and or gotten any direct sunlight, and haven't noticed any leaking since last week.

I did take it through a touchless carwash. No leaks from the gullwings but it will sure as hell come through that roof top vent! My local carwash is crazy strong and that might just be specific to that one.

@RSI North America Inc has not sent a response yet.

PhantomChameleon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gator Gladiator Rubicon
So it happened to both gullwing doors when they were in direct sunlight on two different occasions. Probably 60F outside. Then it got cold and I decided to clean them. Pretty sticky stuff!!! Hasn't really warmed up enough to happen again and or gotten any direct sunlight, and haven't noticed any leaking since last week.

I did take it through a touchless carwash. No leaks from the gullwings but it will sure as hell come through that roof top vent! My local carwash is crazy strong and that might just be specific to that one.

@RSI North America Inc has not sent a response yet.
Gotcha - I just got mine cleaned up and from what I saw it seems like it may have just been some excess sealant that got runny in the sun. I used some googone and cleaned up what appeared to be the excess, so hopefully it won't happen again.

The weird thing is I've had my jeep parked outside in the sun when it was much warmer quite a few times for days in a row here and there, and never had it happen...weird that it would happen now when its pretty cold out.

Anyways, hopefully it won't continue to be an issue.

Jaxmax

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Electrical Manager
Excess sealant or the actual sealant holding the window, if the sealent holding the window loosens up that could really be a bad thing going down the road! Probably won't get above forty for a while here.....jack

PhantomChameleon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gator Gladiator Rubicon
Excess sealant or the actual sealant holding the window, if the sealent holding the window loosens up that could really be a bad thing going down the road! Probably won't get above forty for a while here.....jack
Yeah, that's the worse case scenario - hoping that isn't the case, don't want to wait for a new topper or have to complete another DIY fix!

LaRock

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Sport S, 2007 JKU, 1989 YJ
So stoked with how it looks. Build wasn’t too hard, wish I had more then one helper when it came time to toss it up on the Gladiator. I still have to play around with the spacers to get the rear seal to fit better. Overall super happy.

Jeep Gladiator RSI Smartcap 330B67FC-8EB3-4B28-8C91-1B23A32206D7
Sponsored

Last edited: