Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 JTR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Hot Dog Vendor
Here's my problem: I've been saving for a little over 2 years now and it looks like by the time I'm ready to purchase, MY 2023 will be less than a year out. As I understand it, that's when we should expect some mid-cycle refreshes. There's a couple of fomo-related issues that this brings up:
  • I would be pretty disappointed if I paid good $ for a Jeep design that was drastically improved upon within a year of my purchase;
  • I really want Uconnect 5. I mean, a massive screen would be awesome even if I don't actually option it - but maybe that means an 8.4" is the new standard;
  • I absolutely loved the saddle interior accents offered on the JKs - if that kind of contrast is available in MY 2023 I definitely want to wait;
  • Alternatively, if the design somehow gets worse (all hail rivnuts?), then maybe MY 2023 isn't so desirable.
Anyone have some experience or thought to share here? I mean how many 2017 JK owners feel like dunces, any? More appropriately, how many 3.8 JKers feel (felt?) major fomo on the newer interior design and the 3.6?

I think I kinda have to wait. But if MY 2023 comes without any major revisions that would suck too.
Sponsored

SuburbanGP88

First Name
Willy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport S
Occupation
Retired
Lease a 2021 and then see if they improve the 2023 then get a 2024 when your lease is up. Or go 2 years of you can't wait.

Oilburner

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1982 Scrambler, 1969 Wagoneer, 2022 JTR Ecodiesel
About the only thing I can think of is exterior color = if there is a particular color outside of the standard greys/white/black that you like, it will surely be gone next model year. (ahem: Gator in my case :facepalm:)
I suppose there is a chance the V8 and/or the hybrid setups might be available by then? (But probably only for 2024 delivery?)

Sponsored

OP
OP
869 KPH

869 KPH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 JTR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Hot Dog Vendor
My brain just doesn't work this way. If I commit to this puppy it's not going back to the shelter. I'm saving in earnest too, and not ready to take away from that for a lease payment.
About the only thing I can think of is exterior color = if there is a particular color outside of the standard greys/white/black that you like, it will surely be gone next model year. (ahem: Gator in my case :facepalm:)
I suppose there is a chance the V8 and/or the hybrid setups might be available by then? (But probably only for 2024 delivery?)
Yeah RIP Gator. Honestly white is super appealing to me right now, but a nice green (sarge) or blue (anvil) would be nice, too. I am in awe of Dune, but I just don't think it looks as good in the snow.
There's always going to be the next version, a refresh, updates. Unless your going to trade up every time at some point your going to get left behind.
Purchase and don't lose the time waiting for a new valance or goffy headlight.
3.8 owners are missing more than an updated interior. If you’re worried about a model refresh, don’t. There’s always some sort of update just a couple years away.
These are all fair points. I've had the current truck for 16 years now, and this one will be joining it for the foreseeable future.

I think maybe I should be comforted to know whether or not MY 2023 will be getting some upgrades by the time I can order a MY 2022.

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Gladiator High Altitude - 2013 Nissan Leaf SV
Vehicle Showcase
If you want it, and can afford it, then don't wait. Option it like it may be the last one you ever buy. You don't know what the future holds for you. Why spend a long time doing without and dreaming of what might be, when you could be enjoying it now?

Sazabi19

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Kia Cadenza, 2020 Jeep Gladiator JT Sport S
Pretty much what these guys up here are saying, There will always be something else new and better that is coming out. If you're waiting now to see it then maybe you'll need to wait longer for the next update, etc... It's the same exact thing that happens in the computer world, today's hot tech is tomorrows dusty relic. Maybe see if you can get a decent deal on a 2 year lease or go with what you've got now or just get a beater and save until you want to buy outright.

Some things are worth waiting for, but for me, those are things that I KNOW are coming. I'm glad I have a 3 yr lease because I get to gather data on the Bronco and the new Wrangler 4xe, I'm very excited for both of them but wouldn't want to be the early adopter.

jjdustr340

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator 80th Anniversary
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Crime fighter.
I’ll compare this to the old adage with cell phones......if you wait for the next latest and greatest thing, you’ll never buy anything.

There are always going to be changes, updates, things you wish you waited for. Something new and different is always around the corner.
Get it and build it up YOUR way.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Fiat 124 Spider, 2023 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Saddle is offered right now.

IMHO, the size/shape of the screen shouldn’t be the determining factor in buying a Jeep. If that’s where your focus is, a Grand Cherokee may be a better option.

Also, JT production runs two years behind JL. Which means whatever changes appear on 2023 JL, will appear on 2025 JT.

Sponsored

Sazabi19

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

IMHO, the size/shape of the screen shouldn’t be the determining factor in buying a Wrangler. If that’s where your focus is, a Grand Cherokee may be a better option.
I disagree. I love the Wrangler/Gladiator but if it had a 3" infotainment screen I wouldn't have gotten 1. It is very helpful and full of info when I want it. I love the backup cam screen and my nav. If I wanted a vehicle from the 90s without it I would buy one. I may not be a Jeep "purist" but I feel a lot of people who buy them now are like me. We didn't have them for a long time because of the negatives of ownership, but now that most of that is gone, we are in them. It's not longer the exclusive boy's club it used to be but anyone who whines about it to me is a pretentious "Jeep Bro" who can pound sand anyways lol.

jurfie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Granite Crystal Metallic JKR; 2016 Daytona Grey Audi A5 Competition Package
He means the extended Saddle colour like the JKs.

Also, JT production runs two years behind JL. Which means whatever changes appear on 2023 JL, will appear on 2025 JT.
I'm curious if this will be true. Yes, I understand the JL came out in 2018 MY and the JT was a 2020 MY, but I'm betting mid-model refreshes will be at the same time for both.

jurfie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Granite Crystal Metallic JKR; 2016 Daytona Grey Audi A5 Competition Package
I disagree. I love the Wrangler/Gladiator but if it had a 3" infotainment screen I wouldn't have gotten 1. It is very helpful and full of info when I want it. I love the backup cam screen and my nav. If I wanted a vehicle from the 90s without it I would buy one. I may not be a Jeep "purist" but I feel a lot of people who buy them now are like me. We didn't have them for a long time because of the negatives of ownership, but now that most of that is gone, we are in them. It's not longer the exclusive boy's club it used to be but anyone who whines about it to me is a pretentious "Jeep Bro" who can pound sand anyways lol.
I agree. My '16 A5 was the last year before the new MMI came out; I wish I'd had that (but I'm glad mine at least has the full colour screen). Of course, it wouldn't keep me from wanting to trade it in for a new JT.

Sazabi19

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
He means the extended Saddle colour like the JKs.

I'm curious if this will be true. Yes, I understand the JL came out in 2018 MY and the JT was a 2020 MY, but I'm betting mid-model refreshes will be at the same time for both.
We seem to be lagging behind about a year on everything so far. Between the diesel, 392, and possibly the 4xe. I think we will see if we are on par with the other 2 releases or how far we lag behind and that will tell us when our model refreshes will be coming in terms of time apart.

Also, as someone to your South, it disturbs me that you included the "u" in color :P

FloridaMan655321

First Name
Lieutenant
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mojave, 1973 F-100 - both manual
Occupation
Lieutenant (not really)
Another thing to think about if you plan on financing, how long can 0% interest last?
Sponsored