First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Launch Edition JT, 2013 JKR
Occupation
Aviation Chief Inspector
As an aircraft mechanic, I read the owners manual. Brought it inside the night we brought her home. Way too much stuff going on to not read up on it all!
Sponsored

PyrPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT Sport S Max Tow; Honda Element
As an aircraft mechanic, I read the owners manual. Brought it inside the night we brought her home. Way too much stuff going on to not read up on it all!
Yah, and from a repair perspective things are pretty crammed in there (video is from a few years ago so not the latest version of the engine in the JT)

mazeppa

First Name
y= x/0
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR Panda
Occupation
knife sharpening snob
I did not read mine cover to cover, but I skimmed through the PDF while waiting on my JT to be built and delivered. I used to prefer the printed manuals but I have come around to digital now, the search function can't beat. Sometimes unfamiliar subjects in the manual are more easily understood when a person gets actual physical hands on experience with the vehicle.

Len

First Name
Len
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
If I'm being completely honest, this was the first vehicle I have ever read the owners manual, and I'm glad I did. Highly recommend, it will eliminate all the dumb questions you se on some of these post. And it explains in detail...about important shit.

elarse1

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Overland
Occupation
Engineer
I actually enjoy reading owners' manuals. Some recent thread posts have me wondering if they stopped providing owners manuals or some people just don't bother reading them.

So who does, and who does not read their owner's manual and why?
I always read mine - and I even downloaded the longer one from FCA.

Sponsored

BEARFN

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport S
Occupation
PM
I don’t have my truck yet (Supposed to be this week) however I did read through it online as this will be my first Jeep and I wanted to be prepared somewhat prior to delivery. Found out some good info !

rlsterling3

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Willy's
Occupation
US Army
I actually enjoy reading owners' manuals. Some recent thread posts have me wondering if they stopped providing owners manuals or some people just don't bother reading them.

I read mine cover to cover. Every vehicle I’ve owned

SwampNut

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Launch Edition
Occupation
Geek
I think it's absolutely ridiculous to spend $40k-$60k on something and not read the manual. I read it front to back in the first few days. Then I went camping and read a few key items that I had highlighted, like the off road speed control, and things like that. And now I'm reading it again here and there.

All of the posts here asking already answered questions remind me of times I've been in a friend's car and found out they'd owned it for years and missed features. Like one who didn't know she had an extendable steering wheel, and always complained of it being too far. "Weird that the adjuster won't go any farther." No clue it was adjustable, and solved the problem.

DreamedofaJeepSomeday

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland 6-speed. 2004 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab 4x4, gave to daughter w/350K miles
Occupation
Civil Engineer

So far I have found answers to all my "how do I do ____ " by reading manual.

DLAW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'95 Nissan Pathfinder, '08 Honda Civic, '12 Honda CR-V, '16 Honda Odyssey, 2021 JTR
Occupation
Predicting the future
I'm very impressed with Jeep's manual. I have spent a couple hours flipping around in it and have stumbled across very useful pieces of knowledge that I wouldn't find on your own. There really are cases of "you don't know what you don't know". Like in the Uconnect section, I had no idea that you can use your smart home device to remote start the Jeep (uses SiriusXM Guardian). Pages 306-307. I also would not have have learned that you can drag an icon down to customize the lower static row of icons. I moved the "Offroad" icon to replace the useless "Controls" icon. I don't know why anyone needs a touchscreen app "Controls" to turn on the heated seats when the physical button is right there.

The explanations about the drivetrain are excellent, especially for the Rubicon's many settings. It was also great for the tops/doors removal. And I have referred to it to figure out the AUX switch wiring and the 7 Pin trailer plug wiring. I always try to watch a youtube video too, but the manual is something I would not want to be without.

Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
I'm very impressed with Jeep's manual. I have spent a couple hours flipping around in it and have stumbled across very useful pieces of knowledge that I wouldn't find on your own. There really are cases of "you don't know what you don't know". Like in the Uconnect section, I had no idea that you can use your smart home device to remote start the Jeep (uses SiriusXM Guardian). Pages 306-307. I also would not have have learned that you can drag an icon down to customize the lower static row of icons. I moved the "Offroad" icon to replace the useless "Controls" icon. I don't know why anyone needs a touchscreen app "Controls" to turn on the heated seats when the physical button is right there.

The explanations about the drivetrain are excellent, especially for the Rubicon's many settings. It was also great for the tops/doors removal. And I have referred to it to figure out the AUX switch wiring and the 7 Pin trailer plug wiring. I always try to watch a youtube video too, but the manual is something I would not want to be without.
Oh you mean the "which terminal is the hot one on the trailer connector" sort of explanation in the book?
(answered not only in the book - but since it's standard, one can Google "7 pin trailer connector" and get a huge nice color-coded picture, too)

I had the screen icons under control as my wife's Grand Cherokees have shared the same setup and my son wasted no time at all customizing his. He always hates factory configurations for anything.

But when the power went out for a week after our derecho here, I did need to refer back to the book to find what the timeout was for the various ports as I needed a way to charge phones and hearing aids. I had the outlets in both Jeeps in use for a while that week.

rayvonp

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021Gladiator, 2018 Wrangler JLU
Occupation
Boeing
I always sit down the night I buy a new vehicle

Komesk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep TJ 1999
I was trying to read it, have not finished yet.
But boy oh boy, how nice would it be , if it was MY jeep owner's manual, without all that "if equipped". Or it included a list of installed equipment of my Jeep.

DreamedofaJeepSomeday

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland 6-speed. 2004 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab 4x4, gave to daughter w/350K miles
Occupation
Civil Engineer
I was trying to read it, have not finished yet.
But boy oh boy, how nice would it be , if it was MY jeep owner's manual, without all that "if equipped". Or it included a list of installed equipment of my Jeep.
I've thought that, too. It would seem the technology exists to print one corresponding to the actual equipment in one's own Jeep.

But maybe there is some advantage to FCA to print only universal manuals.. For one, the customer might decide to add a factory option after the fact after reading about it in the manual. Or add that option when buying a new Jeep down the road.
Sponsored