Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Hydro Blue Willys
Occupation
Automotive Manager
Vehicle Showcase
I'm a guy...I generally like things that bounce, although sometimes a distraction when I'm driving and my passenger (wife) has a loose-fitting bra on. I learned a lesson recently and wanted to pass it on to anyone considering larger tires on stock width rims. I have a Willys with 7.5" wide factory wheels. I recently installed some Nitto Ridge Grappler, 315/70r17 - so almost a 35" tire. Right away I noticed the bulbous tire but thought, I'm sure it will be fine. And it was, up until I was going around sweeping right hand, off-camber turn at 45mph that had a heave in the pavement. The ass-end leaped skyward, landed, then tap-danced around the road like drunk Sammy Davis Jr. in Vegas in the late '70s. Traction control, ABS, all woke up angrily and coaxed my Jeep back into submission before I ran out of talent. For once, I was happy for the safety nannies. Since this mishap, I have been paying close attention to the ride quality and now noticed how "floaty" she is on the road. I'm sure towing will be a joy. So, I am on the hunt for some 8.5" or 9" wide wheels to hopefully wrangle my tires in a bit.
Knowledge is power. The more you know.
Sponsored

j.o.y.ride

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Gladiator Overland
I ran 35" trail grapplers on a Rubicon 7.5" wide rim for a few months and had none of that issue. But I also have Clayton springs and Fox shocks. Was this on stock mush?

obrianmcc

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
There are reports after reports with people running stock rims without issue ... could there be something off in your set up? ... tire pressure?

Sponsored

Doc B

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator, 2006 Buick ,2002 GMC 2500 HD & 6 Harleys
Occupation
Retired HVAC Mec.
I'm a guy...I generally like things that bounce, although sometimes a distraction when I'm driving and my passenger (wife) has a loose-fitting bra on. I learned a lesson recently and wanted to pass it on to anyone considering larger tires on stock width rims. I have a Willys with 7.5" wide factory wheels. I recently installed some Nitto Ridge Grappler, 315/70r17 - so almost a 35" tire. Right away I noticed the bulbous tire but thought, I'm sure it will be fine. And it was, up until I was going around sweeping right hand, off-camber turn at 45mph that had a heave in the pavement. The ass-end leaped skyward, landed, then tap-danced around the road like drunk Sammy Davis Jr. in Vegas in the late '70s. Traction control, ABS, all woke up angrily and coaxed my Jeep back into submission before I ran out of talent. For once, I was happy for the safety nannies. Since this mishap, I have been paying close attention to the ride quality and now noticed how "floaty" she is on the road. I'm sure towing will be a joy. So, I am on the hunt for some 8.5" or 9" wide wheels to hopefully wrangle my tires in a bit.
I am in Mid-Michigan , and bought- ION 171 Alloy 9" rims, I put 524 miles, and changed my mind. I now have Quadratec wheels. I can make a good deal , if you like.

Terry

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Private Investigator
Vehicle Showcase
I like it when they wear one of those push and mush styles that still has a little bounce to it.
My thoughts exactly. I read the title and expected something very different......

OP
OP
Binfordtools

Binfordtools

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Hydro Blue Willys
Occupation
Automotive Manager
Vehicle Showcase
I am in Mid-Michigan , and bought- ION 171 Alloy 9" rims, I put 524 miles, and changed my mind. I now have Quadratec wheels. I can make a good deal , if you like.
I was considering the Morphic wheels from Quadratec. I like the stock look.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Binfordtools

Binfordtools

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Hydro Blue Willys
Occupation
Automotive Manager
Vehicle Showcase
There are reports after reports with people running stock rims without issue ... could there be something off in your set up? ... tire pressure?
Could be tire pressure. I have a small spacer lift with stock springs/shocks. The ride was fine before the tires so I assume it's that.

JWGladiator

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Mojave; 2020 BMW X7; 2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Jeep Gladiator Double-D Bouncing With Bigger Tires! 1617902732259

Snzzbry_Ovrlnd

First Name
Lin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland
Occupation
Army
Vehicle Showcase
Your wife wears a bra?

Free2roam

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
Occupation
Fabricator by trade/ Maintenance Mechanic
Yeah pics or it didn't happen! Video preferably.🤔🤣😂😂