Gasser real world fuel economy

Higher_Ground

First Name
J. T.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gator Sport S
5000 miles on a stock Sport S - averaged around 18-20 mpg depending on city or highway.

Last month I put on 285/75 Toyo Open Country AT3's and recalibrated. I'm now getting right at 17 mpg.

That being said, I do not trust the reading from the factory. When I went to adjust the tire height it was already a good 1.5" over what it should have been set at. Makes me want to start calling shenanigans. I figure the computer was over calculating miles driven by ~7% from the get go.
Sponsored

DiabolicalDianoga

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Overland, Subaru Forester
Occupation
Admin
With my stock Overland, I'm averaging somewhere between 20-22mpg between fill ups. Over the winter I was 18-20mpg because I don't like driving a cold vehicle. On roadtrips, unless on really mountainous routes, I'm usually getting around 24mpg. Last summer while towing a 5x8 uhaul trailer loaded to max, I was getting 14-16mpg from CO to NC.
All this makes me somewhat hesitant to replace my current all seasons with some all terrains, especially since my truck spend well over 90% of it's time on pavement. I haven't had much time to research what A/T tires will make the smallest hit on my mpg.
Coming from my last truck, an 06 Honda Ridgeline, I'm getting significantly better MPGs. Again, as my daily driver/family hauler, I am very hesitant to make major changes to my mpg numbers.

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
I expect to be ordering a Gladiator in the next month or two (selling my current truck while the market is hot), and trying to decide between gas and diesel. There's a thread in the diesel forum re: real world mpg, but not here in the gasser section. So, post up what you're getting along with any mods that might affect it, driving mix, driving style, or whatever else seems pertinent. Thanks!
Stock 2021 Willy's I averaged mid 16's for the first 4k miles and then installed a K&N Cold Air Intake. Contrary to what I have read it improved my mileage significantly to low 19's over the next 2k mi. My driving is about 75% highway.

RavensEyeOffroad

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Mojave
Build Thread
Link
I dont take off fast at red lights. I let the start stop do its thing at red lights and on any hwy road i use the adaptive cruise as much as possible and i stay 65 mph and below. So basically i drive like a grandpa.... which i am. LOL
Same.
Ya know I can't help but wonder... my wife and I usually fill up at the same time. I drop her transverse and she was getting like 17.x she drives hard and gas mileage is her last thought in the day. I drive mine like grandpa. And for a bit we had almost the same mileage. Mine dropped randomly but I noticed hers did too. I wonder if the actual gas has something to do with it somehow...

red/green hawk

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Sport S with max tow package, 2008 Suburban LTZ
Occupation
ICU Nurse
Sport S MT with 33x11.5 MTs and 1.5" leveling kit. Stubby steel bumper w/ winch.

Getting about 16.8 mpg in town.
Drove from Abq to Denver and back and averaged about 17.5 mpg going a couple over the speed limit. Bucking a nasty sidewind though there and back.

On the highway if I'm going over 70 mph my mpg is below 18 I've noticed.

Sponsored

Sazabi19

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Kia Cadenza, 2020 Jeep Gladiator JT Sport S
With my stock Overland, I'm averaging somewhere between 20-22mpg between fill ups. Over the winter I was 18-20mpg because I don't like driving a cold vehicle. On roadtrips, unless on really mountainous routes, I'm usually getting around 24mpg. Last summer while towing a 5x8 uhaul trailer loaded to max, I was getting 14-16mpg from CO to NC.
All this makes me somewhat hesitant to replace my current all seasons with some all terrains, especially since my truck spend well over 90% of it's time on pavement. I haven't had much time to research what A/T tires will make the smallest hit on my mpg.
Coming from my last truck, an 06 Honda Ridgeline, I'm getting significantly better MPGs. Again, as my daily driver/family hauler, I am very hesitant to make major changes to my mpg numbers.
The stock ATs on Sport S Max Tow are decent. I'm getting the same as you so I have to think it doesn't mess up mileage too bad.

@Berserker556 winter blended fuel gets worse mileage than warm weather fuel. Did your state change ethanol requirements for the pump? That'll get you less mileage too. Start/Stop doesn't like to work as much in winter either, idling at stops kills mileage. Also, how about tire pressure?

@red/green hawk When you say "MT" do you mean manual or Max Tow?

rdboyd

First Name
Dale
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland, 1971 Jeep Cj5
Occupation
Product Development Engineer
I have a little over 2500 miles on my stock Overland with a manual transmission and the A/T tires. All fill ups so far have averaged between 21 and 22 mpg. Most miles are highway driving on the daily commute, but trips into town every weekend pull the average down a bit. Now that I have a vehicle capable of carrying cargo my wife decided to remodel the house so I am picking up building supplies on a regular basis. I have noticed the outside temperature and wind have a much bigger impact on the mileage than any other vehicle I have owned. I do have a Lomax bed cover and a Holley Intech CAI, but have not noticed either of those making any significant difference in mpg. I will be driving from Indiana to North Carolina next month, so I will have a good average highway mileage number after that.

Gr8ful

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland 2019 Kia Stinger GT2
Occupation
Professionally unemployed
Don't go by the dash board computer as it always indicates 1-2 per gallon better than reality. I drive conservatively and with 7500 miles I'm getting 22.5 +- .5 mpg. I have a stock Overland with a Magnaflow cutback. Sound awesome by the way.

Courtsm3

First Name
Kayle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport S
Occupation
Thin Blue Line
20.1mpg at 2400ft elevation. Stock tune only catback and snorkel. Stock 33’s and 87 octane. I drive hills everyday. Up and down , so overall I’m impressed with the 3.6. 1.5” front and .75 rear lift and steel rubicon bumper with no front skid plate.

Sponsored

GJC501

First Name
Gaetan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Texas Trail
Occupation
Analyst
Less than a 1000 miles on. Pentastar w/regular. I am at 20 mpg combined with Firestone Destination M/T (stock on Willys—not the best for Hwy driving). Live in hill country.
Watching at rpm and gear changes. When climbing hills, I let the gearbox doing the job, not my lead foot—get over the top only 5 miles slower than at the bottom—gearbox shifts & engages nicely without efforts.

Jonny A

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon Gladiator
Occupation
Bridge Construction and Maintenance
24500 Miles. Stock Rubicon. Average 18-20 MPG. I live on the coast and its mostly flat. Driving highway to and from work.
More than less, same mileage as me. I run BFG 35 x 12.5 x 17 KO2 a/t's. Leveled in front and 36 psi cold.

Really likes 35-40 mph back roads, then 24-25 mpg. I have 17,250 miles. Life time average is 19.8 mpg. Mixed driving.

wanderer

First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon GATOR
Occupation
Engineering Geologist
Rubicon bfg ko2 37 stock 410 gears 350 mile commute 2 times a week running 70 to 80 plus or dead stop through LA and go. Usually right on 16 mpg

NC_Overland

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Overland
I just drove from Raleigh to Atlanta and then back. I wasn’t trying to get decent mpg, but got 20 mpg. In the past. When I’ve drive to get decent mpg, I got 22 on the hwy. Stock suspension Overland with 285/70/18 A/Ts

MudderTruker

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Hilux SR5 and Jeep Renegade ... name is on the list for a Gladiator!
Occupation
Computer dude