Sponsored

DO you even need lockers BRO?

spectre6000

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
pending
Depends on your situation... If you live somewhere flat and hot, it's probably not something you need.

I live in the mountains. I've had occasion to use lockers just to get out of the driveway.

A few months ago, I was driving around with my infant daughter. She got sick and threw up. I pulled over in the first flattish, off the roadish place I could. When I got back in, I was stuck in icy, slushy snow. 4hi, still stuck. Rear locked. Still stuck. Front locked. Pulled right out. No drama.

There have been a number of times, not even in any crazy off road situations, where lockers were the difference between being stuck and not. They're not perfect on their own (i.e. guy stuck in snow a page and change back); you may need snow tires for snow (as an example) in combination with the lockers. For our situation, we need at least one double (or triple) locked four wheel drive vehicle; two is better.

JamesWyatt

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mojave
Rather have open diffs than an LSD any day, at least in hard snow/ice. Had a 2018 Power Wagon, which has rear LSD and f/r lockers, and without the lockers, the rear end of that thing would just crab-walk-slide the truck into the ditch on hard-packed snow. I'd flip the rear locker on, and it would walk right back onto the road with no issues. Seen another Power Wagon and a late model Land Cruiser with LSD slip right off the road the same way in hard-packed snow. Not sure how the LSD works in the JL/JT, but I've not been impressed with it on other platforms for where I need 4wd. Maybe in mud and/or on a level surface, they're better.

Sponsored

XJADDICTION

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT SS Max Tow, 2005 WK Hemi, 2013 Mustang GT
Occupation
Surgical CSFA
Rather have open diffs than an LSD any day, at least in hard snow/ice. Had a 2018 Power Wagon, which has rear LSD and f/r lockers, and without the lockers, the rear end of that thing would just crab-walk-slide the truck into the ditch on hard-packed snow. I'd flip the rear locker on, and it would walk right back onto the road with no issues. Seen another Power Wagon and a late model Land Cruiser with LSD slip right off the road the same way in hard-packed snow. Not sure how the LSD works in the JL/JT, but I've not been impressed with it on other platforms for where I need 4wd. Maybe in mud and/or on a level surface, they're better.
My experience with LSD they are terrible in the mud.
Snow they have always worked well for me unless icy and packed. For snow, tires for me have made the biggest difference. The best by far without using studs or chains, is the BFG KO2s.

JamesWyatt

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mojave
My experience with LSD they are terrible in the mud.
Snow they have always worked well for me unless icy and packed. For snow, tires for me have made the biggest difference. The best by far without using studs or chains, is the BFG KO2s.
Yeah, the hockey puck Toyo MTs I had on the Power Wagon didn't help matters. Basically on any surface where traction broke (hard pack snow/ice), the LSD would send me off the road in the direction of the slope, rear-first. Agree that the KO2s do great in the snow as I had them on a few JKs. Thinking about moving to 315/70/17 KO2s on the JT. The stock Wildpeak ATs seem to be good tires, but not sure I want to have to order them in 35s and be stuck with the E-load ride.

OldButStillJeeping

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JT Mojave, '92 Jeep YJ, 2017 F250 4WD
You 'need' a locker(s) if it saves your life. Or potentially a loved ones life, as previously mentioned. Consider it carefully...

If you're just foolin' around, no, you don't need a locker. You need more beer.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Elephant in the room? Those of us without lockers are jealous of those of you with lockers so we have to justify why we don't need them to jack our self esteem. Okay we got that out of the way. Let's proceed with the discussion...

I'm never not gonna try something because I don't have lockers. I just LOVE the satisfaction of coming up to an obstacle and throwing it in 4 LO. If I get over it's a bonus.
Could be the opposite - I see a lot of Sport and Rubicon people dissing Overland as a stupid choice, as one said, "worst possible" or words to that effect. Those who DO have something also justify why it's needed and how they can't understand anyone not having or getting them.
So it goes both ways.
It's like any other tool - if you aren't building a house you don't necessarily need a framing square.
If you don't reupholster chairs, you may not need a tack hammer.

Also the overland is probably the worse trim to buy. Way overpriced which is why they discounted them so much because no one was buying them.
Laughable. Of course someone will say that to justify why they personally didn't buy one.

My jeep is better than your jeep - that's what that says.

andrew8404

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Paramedic
Could be the opposite - I see a lot of Sport and Rubicon people dissing Overland as a stupid choice, as one said, "worst possible" or words to that effect. Those who DO have something also justify why it's needed and how they can't understand anyone not having or getting them.
So it goes both ways.
It's like any other tool - if you aren't building a house you don't necessarily need a framing square.
If you don't reupholster chairs, you may not need a tack hammer.

Laughable. Of course someone will say that to justify why they personally didn't buy one.

My jeep is better than your jeep - that's what that says.
Rightā€¦Overland has nothing to do with Overland. Itā€™s a city Jeep. Which is great if thatā€™s what you want. But it shouldnā€™t be nearly the same price as a Rubicon or Mojave. You defending it shows your bias. I have a Sport and just upgraded to a Rubicon because of the used market. Like you said every model serves a purpose. The discounts on Gladiators have made them more accessible to more people. Proves there overpriced already just like the Wranglers. But Overland is by far the most overpriced for what you get.

Sponsored

NachoRuby

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JTR , '18 JLU, 73 VW Bug, 97 VW Jetta, all MTs
Rightā€¦Overland has nothing to do with Overland. Itā€™s a city Jeep. Which is great if thatā€™s what you want. But it shouldnā€™t be nearly the same price as a Rubicon or Mojave. You defending it shows your bias. I have a Sport and just upgraded to a Rubicon because of the used market. Like you said every model serves a purpose. The discounts on Gladiators have made them more accessible to more people. Proves there overpriced already just like the Wranglers. But Overland is by far the most overpriced for what you get.
Pricing is what the market will bear. People are buying them, so the final price is worth it, discounted or not. It must fit someone's needs, including @ShadowsPapa, and it must have been priced right for him. If people aren't buying them, and they are just sitting on the lot, well that means they are overpriced. It may have taken a market adjustment by means of lowered out-the-door pricing to get here, but Gladiators are all priced to what the customer will pay. That's just good business sense. Build what the client wants. Even better if you can anticipate it ahead of time. The overlands have a nice level of refinement and luxury, and a lot of people want that in a truck. People can spend their money how they want.

jorbasaurus

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JT
Occupation
HRIS Consulting
Showing your bias calling out his bias against your bias - didnā€™t expect to find something so meta on a Gladiator forum šŸ˜‚

Radio Guy

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Retired Broadcast Engineer
I've had various 4WD vehicles over the last 30yrs, one with a locker and one with a winch. My first was a GMC Yukon and within the first week of owning it I pulled off the main paved hwy onto a friends 1/2 mi long dirt driveway after a flood and sank it to the axles, hopelessly stuck. A winch would have been useless with nothing but mud for 100yds around to anchor to. It took a guy with a Caterpillar D4 in a waist high rubber suit to hook up and pull me 100yds to useable ground.

The Yukon was not that great off road and spun the tires a lot failing to get a grip. I put an ARB locker on it and it became much more useful off road pulling me up and over things that it could not have done without the locker. I never found a need for a winch in the Yukon.

Next was a 1996 1/2 HUMMER with Warn 12K lb winch. Most impressive vehicle and although it didn't have lockers it went places nobody else could follow unless they were also in a HUMMER. In fact I could have loaded my friends various 4WDs on the back of the HUMMER and I believe it would have carried their vehicle places they could not go on their own.

In the 5yrs I owned the HUMMER I used the winch once, and that was to pull a guy up a hill I went up after he blew the driveshaft out of his highly modified Land Cruiser with 5.7L engine. I could have pulled him up the steep incline sideways or on his roof with that huge truck and winch.

The last vehicle I had was an extended cab Tundra and it did ok for a long wheelbase 4WD with no locker. I never pushed it very hard but it never failed to carry me over anything I threw at it with its stock setup.

I now have a Mojave and plan on finding its limits and I'm happy it has a rear locker.

andrew8404

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Paramedic
Showing your bias calling out his bias against your bias - didnā€™t expect to find something so meta on a Gladiator forum šŸ˜‚
I've had a Sport and now a Rubicon. I think the Rubicon is a terrible deal vs a Sport. You can build up a Sport much cheaper. But in this market it was cheaper for me to trade in for a Rubicon. I'm not biased for the Rubicon. I still think the Sport is the best model to get especially if you can get it for 35k like I did. And what the hell does meta even mean? What are you 15?

andrew8404

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Paramedic
Pricing is what the market will bear. People are buying them, so the final price is worth it, discounted or not. It must fit someone's needs, including @ShadowsPapa, and it must have been priced right for him. If people aren't buying them, and they are just sitting on the lot, well that means they are overpriced. It may have taken a market adjustment by means of lowered out-the-door pricing to get here, but Gladiators are all priced to what the customer will pay. That's just good business sense. Build what the client wants. Even better if you can anticipate it ahead of time. The overlands have a nice level of refinement and luxury, and a lot of people want that in a truck. People can spend their money how they want.
I totally agree. With the 10k discount they were doing on the Overland shows they had trouble selling those. But even at 10k discount I had a hard time justifying it over the Sport. Nothing wrong with wanting a luxurious Jeep and there's nothing wrong saying it's probably the worst bang for your buck trim. Sure that's my opinion but the opinion of many others obviously due to the deep discounts. You don't see that advertised even on the Sport models.
Sponsored