DO you even need lockers BRO?

redrider

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1 truck 5 motorcycles
IMHO, when not locked, it is open and therefore useless to me. As others may agree, an Eaton Tru-Trak would be my choice for the daily driver but one will not fit inside the scawny Mopar diffy. A complete axle change out is the only alternative or go with the Trash Lock(had one in the YJ). My dislike of lockers is rooted in the wheel spinning in the air, suddenly finding purchase and shredding the U-joint. Not good when using the daily for an off road spin. If I had a dedicated basher it may be different. As we say in the motorcycle world, ride your own ride.
Sponsored

Terry

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Private Investigator
Vehicle Showcase
Threads like this are almost always based on trying to justify your purchase…
Personally, I don't need to justify my purchases or anything else to anyone but myself. That's exactly what I was speaking to. Not you or anyone else lives under my skin, just me... and where this attitude of overseeing me and my life, and my purchases, and my style , and likes and dislikes, and needs and wants is BS, and quite frankly, I've gotten sick and tired of it and it pisses me off.

I took my Rubi out to the desert the other day and just sat in the quiet and serene calm of being nowhere with nobody except my Giant Schnauzer Atticus. We ate our lunch and watched a rattler side-wind himself to shade. I knew I need not kill it, and therefore it lives. I also knew that I had all the capabilities of my Jeep and the equipment it came with and what I added to get me to this place of peace and quiet, and then get me out to once again be in the noise and confusion of our polluted world of discord. So if you or anyone else is keeping the perpetual score... That's why I bought my Jeep.

FitfulGoat

First Name
Beau
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon LE
Occupation
Operations Leadership
I went Overland. I’m sure the lockers (and other Rubi components) are worth it to those who spend much of their time climbing rocks. I don’t.

I do like fast off-roading so was more interested in a Mojave. But I also know there aren’t many places to really use a Mojave for that near me and most of my driving will be the daily commute.

So an Overland fit the bill. I respect those who buy the JTR or JTM - and use them as intended. And I respect those like me who bought the Sport to Overland because you recognized which model really fit your needs.
All about having the best tool for the job. If I lived and drove in a different climate I wouldn’t have paid for what I did.
Personally, I don't need to justify my purchases or anything else to anyone but myself. That's exactly what I was speaking to. Not you or anyone else lives under my skin, just me... and where this attitude of overseeing me and my life, and my purchases, and my style , and likes and dislikes, and needs and wants is BS, and quite frankly, I've gotten sick and tired of it and it pisses me off.

I took my Rubi out to the desert the other day and just sat in the quiet and serene calm of being nowhere with nobody except my Giant Schnauzer Atticus. We ate our lunch and watched a rattler side-wind himself to shade. I knew I need not kill it, and therefore it lives. I also knew that I had all the capabilities of my Jeep and the equipment it came with and what I added to get me to this place of peace and quiet, and then get me out to once again be in the noise and confusion of our polluted world of discord. So if you or anyone else is keeping the perpetual score... That's why I bought my Jeep.
i couldn’t agree more with this.

Of course we all justify our purchases. I did so before buying the damn thing… I didn’t walk into the dealer and say “give me the most expensive model/ trim and I don’t care or want to know what that includes or its capabilities Please” it was something that I spent the better part of three months researching and educating myself on. So to say I have my reasons is an understatement. If you want to know those reasons I’d be happy to share but don’t assume you know or comprehend the logicalities behind my decision.

You don’t need lockers? Great! Thank God I’m not you and didn’t waste my hard earned money on something useless to you.

Oilburner

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1982 Scrambler, 1969 Wagoneer, 2022 JTR Ecodiesel
A clutch-type lsd is pretty much useless after a couple thousand miles, a gear-driven limited-slip like a Tru-Track is much better. (Assuming they are making them to fit the new models)

Terry

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Private Investigator
Vehicle Showcase
All about having the best tool for the job. If I lived and drove in a different climate I wouldn’t have paid for what I did.

Of course we all justify our purchases. I did so before buying the damn thing… I didn’t walk into the dealer and say “give me the most expensive model/ trim and I don’t care or want to know what that includes or its capabilities Please” it was something that I spent the better part of three months researching and educating myself on. So to say I have my reasons is an understatement. If you want to know those reasons I’d be happy to share but don’t assume you know or comprehend the logicalities behind my decision.

You don’t need lockers? Great! Thank God I’m not you and didn’t waste my hard earned money on something useless to you.
I'm glad you're not me too

Sponsored

brianinca

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
IT Manager
No, Eaton is not making TrueTrac's for the axles under the Gladiators, yet, which is a huge bummer. I replaced clutch LSD's with TrueTrac's on two different trucks, they are FANTASTIC.

Got 80,000 miles out of one under a Ford, when I gave the truck to our landscaper's son, it still worked perfectly. He even brought it by towing a trailer.

My YJ needs one in the front diff, now, the stupid stuff I have done with just the rear TrueTrac is starting to fade from memory. Time to do stupider stuff!

A clutch-type lsd is pretty much useless after a couple thousand miles, a gear-driven limited-slip like a Tru-Track is much better. (Assuming they are making them to fit the new models)

vf171

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Gladiator Overland '15 Cherokee '18 JLUS (RIP)
It’s the same reason I own a firearm. I don’t always carry and I don’t always shoot it but I can if I need to.
THIS, 1000x this!

Terry

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Private Investigator
Vehicle Showcase

I made no assumptions, quite the contrary. Logicalities? You and your ilk gotta be tired, dragging around your own lives while vicariously carrying everyone else's.... I paid cash for my Jeep because for the last 49 years I have worked (still do) like a dog and saved and invested my money, and I didn't notice you standing beside me guiding my every move when I looked over the models and chose the one that I did. Simply said, you have absolutely no idea what information I used in my purchase decisions. However, I do want to thank you for helping me make my point.... here you are AGAIN telling someone you don't even know..... how to spend their money, and how to live their life. I am absolutely ecstatic that you are not me.

JT Thomas

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator, 09 Wrangler Sahara
Occupation
U.S. Army (Retired)
I made no assumptions, quite the contrary. Logicalities? You and your ilk gotta be tired, dragging around your own lives while vicariously carrying everyone else's.... I paid cash for my Jeep because for the last 49 years I have worked (still do) like a dog and saved and invested my money, and I didn't notice you standing beside me guiding my every move when I looked over the models and chose the one that I did. Simply said, you have absolutely no idea what information I used in my purchase decisions. However, I do want to thank you for helping me make my point.... here you are AGAIN telling someone you don't even know..... how to spend their money, and how to live their life. I am absolutely ecstatic that you are not me.
The way I read what @FitfulGoat said was that he was agreeing with your previous post. I don’t think he was busting your chops.

Sponsored

sdtkeld

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Mojave Sarge Green
Occupation
Grocery bagger
If I went through my life and removed everything I didn’t need, I would live in a ten foot by ten foot hut with not much else.

That being said, my Mojave would still be sitting outside with it’s rear lockers I might, or might not need.

Who ”needs” most of the stuff we all have. Being new to the Jeep world, I am really wondering about the “need” for the discourse on what everyone else should or shouldn’t have. We only need food, clothing and shelter…the rest is wants.

Absolutely zero regrets I bought a Mojave, even though some might say I don’t “need” it in Iowa…like my wife😀

heftysmurf

First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Those with experience know what they need. Kinda like insurance.
gonna have to second or third this.

thread reminds me of bickering over some high school “you don’t need Jordan’s because you don’t okay basketball”

I rode in flat Florida without lockers for a bit but north central FL has some fun parks with lots of features. Of course my first time there, I played, used BLD and conquered those obstacles….but it was rough. Lots of slamming and bouncing. After ARBs installed, I wasn’t near as spazzy going over and I’m sure the entire Jeep was thrilled I didn’t thrash her.

I don’t NEED a dining table as we don’t have formal dining often. I could get by with a wooden cable spool…but it makes the experience better to have a descent table.

XJADDICTION

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT SS Max Tow, 2005 WK Hemi, 2013 Mustang GT
Occupation
Surgical CSFA
I’ve used Detroit lockers, lock-rite lockers, ARB air lockers (I love them and will put them in my gladiator if I ever put lockers in my JT axles), used a full- Spool in an MJ rear axle with junk yard Dana 44’s from a wagoneer with largest spline chromoly shafts warn front axle locking hubs, Detroit in front axle(now that right there is some fun stuff, parking lot grocery store turns in high end neighborhood with 38x15.50x15 Swamper SS chirping 🤣, still fine for long travel suspension, interstate driving... but you have to understand what you are driving, that rig would go anywhere!)

I’ve had the electric lockers on my 2016 Rubicon JKUHR (glad I had a warranty), I had them on my Toyota FJ 80 cruiser (flawless, never a problem).

Lockers are AWESOME!!

If you go on trails that require nothing but sky view climbs... those of you that have actually Rock Crawled or off-road much know exactly what I’m talking about. Trails with Lots of ledges, Mud, off camber climbs (especially if they are steep and you don’t want to suddenly have to go backwards down the way you came up because you can’t go any further forward unlocked, butt pucker factor of 10!) and surprisingly, why I am considering ARB lockers for my Max Tow, steep slick boat ramp climbs with a 6000lb+ wakeboard boat!

If you are a remote by yourself overlander that doesn’t rock crawl but may hit the unexpected; a set of Max Trax, recovery gear and good winch are fine if you don’t want lockers.

IMOP and I’ve had them, I’ve not been impressed with LSDs except for in the snow. Off road they are frustrating to me.

If you lift your rig and spend good money and pay attention to Max articulation of suspension, tire size of 37 or better, sway bar DC of some sort your unlocked rig will go a lot of places with the current new tech traction control.

BUT, as previously mentioned if you really are going to put your JT in those situations mentioned above get the Rubicon with extended warranty, or add lockers.

Last edited:

FitfulGoat

First Name
Beau
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon LE
Occupation
Operations Leadership
May have crossed a wire somewhere, but my post was in agreement with your sentiments. We should all focus on what we need and what we can afford as individuals. I do not endorse OPs or others sentiments 👍

Toyfrog

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mojave
That is the reason I went with the Mojave. I wanted the better suspension because is my DD right now. SE Texas is pretty flat and I don’t plan on any major rock crawling in it as it is my DD. Also don’t plan on taking it on anything major. This is my first Jeep, but have had 3 Tacos and none had a front locker. I would just pick a different line and call it good.
Sponsored