Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rublicon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Enginerd
Lockers are just another weapon in the armory. I’ve been in a couple situations now, where I swear they’ve saved me from turning the winch on, but who knows. I thought it prudent to activate my lockers rather than try.

Just like any other piece of kit, they help. The electronic magic does too. I like being over prepared, and would rather not climb through a deep mud hole to hook the winch up if I don’t have to. So love having the lockers to engage when I see something particularly nasty coming up :)

Really depends on what you are getting yourself into though… If you don’t get yourself out in the middle of nowhere driving through who knows what with no backup Jeep, then you can probably be just fine without them.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Indavis01

Indavis01

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland, 2016 Volvo Xc90 Polestar
Occupation
Finder of bad stuff and people.
Vehicle Showcase
This video convinced me that the stock/base JL platform was good enough for what I was going to be doing when I was first looking at my Wrangler.
Keep in mind this is with the minivan HT tires and no LSD.

Great Video!

Riccochet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 JKR | 2020 Ram 2500 | 2021 JT Sport
I don't know. Have wheeled my JKR all over the place, through the gnarliest of gnar. I can probably count the times I've used my lockers on 1 hand. Though a 2 door JKR is probably a bit more nimble through stuff than a JT is.

AZCooWhip

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator
Learn to dual pedal.

Lockers should only be used in most extreme of instances. IMO of course.

If I am grabbing my lockers, I’m in some serious stuff. Otherwise 1 on the gas and 1 on the brake.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Indavis01

Indavis01

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland, 2016 Volvo Xc90 Polestar
Occupation
Finder of bad stuff and people.
Vehicle Showcase
Just like a winch, you rarely ever need it, but it's great to have it when you do.
i think part of my take may be influenced by how often i winch when mudding in the Ranger (Polaris). I'm super comfortable winching, using blocks and using other rigs as anchors- to do get through stuff I would never take my Jeep. Its not uncommon to use the winch 4-5x (per rig) a day when out riding in the Texas mud. I find the challenge of getting un-stuck to be one of the essential parts of the fun....

smlobx

First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTR, F-350 diesel, Porsche Spyder, Model Y
Occupation
Semi retired consultant
I thought the OP’s comments were “snippy” and as a Rubicon owner who goes on some major overlanding trips I can tell you that where I go you could not make it without lockers.
‘I’m not into rock climbing or anything remotely like that but give me some deep sand for example and you’ll be praying you had it…
Jeep Gladiator DO you even need lockers BRO? 63EC22E5-63CC-429D-95C8-7F4CA683A6E8
Jeep Gladiator DO you even need lockers BRO? 1BE4A66F-180D-4492-BED4-ECC00926BFA2

HorneyBadger

First Name
Samuel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Sport, 2022 JT Rubicon
Occupation
Performance Analyst
I wheel quite a bit and have gotten into less than a handful of situations where lockers would have helped.

Otay 4.jpg

dfwxjer

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2 dr JKRX, Navigator L, 63 Impala SS, Lexus CT200h
I've found lockers help alleviate the stress on the driveline because I don't have to hammer the throttle as much. I don't see them as a cheater option. Kinda like disconnecting the sway bar helps keep the tires on the ground as opposed to the air.

By your logic using a 4wd Jeep is cheating because technically with enough rock stacking and skinny pedal a Honda CRV could go offroad :rock:

Kidding of course on the Honda, but yeah I appreciate my lockers. Even more now that I can turn them off and don't have to deal with the old school Detroits locking and unlocking around turns.

Sponsored

ttn333

First Name
Tuan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
none
Those with experience know what they need. Kinda like insurance.
Yup. It seems like peeps with more experience carry a lot more gear than peeps with less experience. Also, it's probably because you accumulate gear over time vs the new guy. Most of us can't just buy everything we need/want all at once.

Riot_JT

First Name
Tillman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
From my experience it just depends on what you want to do with your Jeep. Our local Jeep Club takes a trip to Moab every year and it never fails when we start to hit some of the harder trails like Cliffhanger, Moab Rim, Pritchett Canyon we have the non locker folks wishing they had them. To me I find them very helpful in rock climbing especially with steep obstacles and limited traction. The last thing I want is a wheel cutting out and the vehicle veering to the side. It's also nice to be able to crab walk and swing the rear end around with rear lockers, even better if you have after market lockers and can lock the front independently.

Free2roam

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
Occupation
Fabricator by trade/ Maintenance Mechanic
It’s the same reason I own a firearm. I don’t always carry and I don’t always shoot it but I can if I need to.
Better to have and not need than need and not have!
Sponsored