DO you even need lockers BRO?

M0untainM4n

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep 2020 Gladiator, 2019 Toyota 4Runner, 2020 Ford F350 Platinum 6.7 Powerstroke
Let me give you some advice about lockers and their value. It depends on whether you are going to rock crawl and where you live.

I spend a lot of time in Moab. I can assure you there are features that without lockers, you will have a tough time and on some of the slick rock fins/features, you may have a hard time finding a place to winch. It’s not impossible, but you are definitely going to have to reach into your bag of tricks to get through some features.

I also live in the mountains of Colorado. We get some big snow storms and I have a double switchback uphill high pitch driveway that can be a challenge. My main vehicle is a Ford F-350. I can’t tell you how many times that there is snow/ice on my driveway and I’m in 4WD and I get stuck because the differential is hunting for traction on one wheel. I pop my Ford’s lockers on and BOOM I’m on my way.

Are they necessary? No. But they have saved my butt from having to winch myself or go grab a bag of salt or get a shovel to give the slipping wheel some traction.

I will never again purchase a 4WD without at least rear lockers.

Advertisement

Advertisement