Sponsored

DO you even need lockers BRO?

M0untainM4n

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep 2020 Gladiator, 2019 Toyota 4Runner, 2020 Ford F350 Platinum 6.7 Powerstroke
Let me give you some advice about lockers and their value. It depends on whether you are going to rock crawl and where you live.

I spend a lot of time in Moab. I can assure you there are features that without lockers, you will have a tough time and on some of the slick rock fins/features, you may have a hard time finding a place to winch. It’s not impossible, but you are definitely going to have to reach into your bag of tricks to get through some features.

I also live in the mountains of Colorado. We get some big snow storms and I have a double switchback uphill high pitch driveway that can be a challenge. My main vehicle is a Ford F-350. I can’t tell you how many times that there is snow/ice on my driveway and I’m in 4WD and I get stuck because the differential is hunting for traction on one wheel. I pop my Ford’s lockers on and BOOM I’m on my way.

Are they necessary? No. But they have saved my butt from having to winch myself or go grab a bag of salt or get a shovel to give the slipping wheel some traction.

I will never again purchase a 4WD without at least rear lockers.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Summary - those who have them say they are necessary, those that don't have them say they are not necessary. Each will back up their claim as to do otherwise is to admit they should have chosen something different. Humans never do that, admit a mistake? Not in the he-man's world of Jeeps and excesses!
Rare is the post "gee, I made a mistake, I REALLY wish I had lockers, what a fool I was for thinking I did not really need that".
Also rare - "I have them but never use them, what a waste they are"

Texas_Jeep

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Lots of passionate responses here. I’m not going to pick a side, say to speak, but this video really sums up how lockers might help in given situations.

Sponsored

B1tPirate

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Gladiator
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Computer Nerd
This is an older thread, but I know there might be others like myself that aren't trying to justify their purchase so much as trying to decide what to buy stock vs add later. I looked at a Mojave as well as a Rubicon. The reality is that my budget could not swing either one, my only real option was a sport with power windows, locks, and towing as the only options. Being my first Jeep I relied on being able to add aftermarket features that I really need or want.

I came upon this thread to understand where in my priority list lockers should be. In the interest of saving future people like me some time I have a brief summary of what I have learned about the necessity or helpfulness of lockers:

Why I would want a locker(s) -
  • If I will be in sticky situations on my own with no one to help tow/winch me out
  • If I want extra capability for when a trail or snowy road gets way worse than I expected
  • If I want to rock climb
Why I might never need a locker -
  • If I don't plan to really push my Jeep off-road
  • If I never go on trails without having other Jeeps with me
In my case I will push my Jeep to it's limits because I push every vehicle to its limits. I love my Sport, its manual transmission, and the simplicity that comes from not getting many options. I had a loaded F250 with 99,000 miles that I traded in and I didn't realize how isolated I had gotten from the experience of driving. I like the basicness of my Gladiator and I love that it is like a full sized lego in terms of how easy it is to add/upgrade the thing.

In terms of lockers, I have learned that I should get one because I like to be prepared, I would rather have the locker because I know I will try a trail, beach path, or creek bed that will test my abilities. I used the locker on my F250 3 times, 2 of those times it saved me while the third time I was high centered so no lockers could have helped.

If you don't plan to get that serious off-road and have never needed a locker or limited slip differential then you probably don't need a locker or multiple lockers.

Either way it seems pretty unanimous that if you can afford a trim level with lockers or an aftermarket locker then it doesn't hurt anything to have it if you prefer having it just in case.

Hope that helps others that stumble across this in the future. There are a lot of extremely knowledgeable and helpful people on this forum and I truly appreciate all that I continue to learn from them every time I visit here.

Chuck

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JT, 2020 Ram 2500, 2013 JKU
Occupation
Facilities Maintenance
This is an older thread, but I know there might be others like myself that aren't trying to justify their purchase so much as trying to decide what to buy stock vs add later. I looked at a Mojave as well as a Rubicon. The reality is that my budget could not swing either one, my only real option was a sport with power windows, locks, and towing as the only options. Being my first Jeep I relied on being able to add aftermarket features that I really need or want.

I came upon this thread to understand where in my priority list lockers should be. In the interest of saving future people like me some time I have a brief summary of what I have learned about the necessity or helpfulness of lockers:

Why I would want a locker(s) -
  • If I will be in sticky situations on my own with no one to help tow/winch me out
  • If I want extra capability for when a trail or snowy road gets way worse than I expected
  • If I want to rock climb
Why I might never need a locker -
  • If I don't plan to really push my Jeep off-road
  • If I never go on trails without having other Jeeps with me
In my case I will push my Jeep to it's limits because I push every vehicle to its limits. I love my Sport, its manual transmission, and the simplicity that comes from not getting many options. I had a loaded F250 with 99,000 miles that I traded in and I didn't realize how isolated I had gotten from the experience of driving. I like the basicness of my Gladiator and I love that it is like a full sized lego in terms of how easy it is to add/upgrade the thing.

In terms of lockers, I have learned that I should get one because I like to be prepared, I would rather have the locker because I know I will try a trail, beach path, or creek bed that will test my abilities. I used the locker on my F250 3 times, 2 of those times it saved me while the third time I was high centered so no lockers could have helped.

If you don't plan to get that serious off-road and have never needed a locker or limited slip differential then you probably don't need a locker or multiple lockers.

Either way it seems pretty unanimous that if you can afford a trim level with lockers or an aftermarket locker then it doesn't hurt anything to have it if you prefer having it just in case.

Hope that helps others that stumble across this in the future. There are a lot of extremely knowledgeable and helpful people on this forum and I truly appreciate all that I continue to learn from them every time I visit here.
Sounds like and argument to get a winch……

Rusty PW

First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTRD, '11 370Z Nismo, '07 Honda VFR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Muff Diver
Lockers are like insurance. You buy it but hope you never use it. The last 4 trucks I had. Had either electric lockers (JTRD and Power Wagon) or mechanical Detroit lockers in the rear and a LSD in the front (Dodge 1500 and Nissan Hardbody). The trucks before them just had a LSD in the rear. From my experiences with different set-ups. I will always buy a truck with lockers. Loved the rear set-up in the Power Wagon. It was a gear driven LSD plus electric locker.

Sponsored

Rockabillyroy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT
Back when I had my JKU. Was on the trail with a couple buddies. First guy no lockers hung up trying to get over a gate keeper boulder. Brakes plus gas. Popped over.

Second guy, hangs up to. Activates his lockers. Crawls right over it.

My turn, no lockers, hangs up. Brakes plus gas. Popped over it.

We're doing this with a 900 foot drop immediately behind us and the boulder.

We all had winches. We could have stacked rocks. But in my old age, I'm not looking to work harder. I regeared that JKU and installed rear locker at that time.

I can saw logs with my hand saw, but I use my chainsaw. Convince me how my chainsaw is cheating and I should stop using it. Hahaha...

BGH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 jeep gladiator
Occupation
Finance
I’ve learned this lesson the hard way and the pleasant way, often while hunting in mud and snow. I’m more likely to get stuck without lockers. Rough boat launches, snowy BLM trails, clay goo with a cliff beside you, all have made me glad for a locker. I’ve shot one elk I would have never come close to without a rear locker on my Tacoma. I need them for what I do but many people probably don’t.

1996XJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 Cherokee , 2021 JTMojave (punjabi), 22 gobiator
Occupation
Hot Dog proprietor
I’ve learned this lesson the hard way and the pleasant way, often while hunting in mud and snow. I’m more likely to get stuck without lockers. Rough boat launches, snowy BLM trails, clay goo with a cliff beside you, all have made me glad for a locker. I’ve shot one elk I would have never come close to without a rear locker on my Tacoma. I need them for what I do but many people probably don’t.
Was that elk in a gang?

guntrust

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Website
LawNews.TV
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
something legal
Lockers are like photon torpedoes, or a phaser rifle. When stun won't do, and you don't want to hold up the starship jamboree.
Sponsored