Sponsored

jimbom

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 6-Speed Rubicon Gator Gladiator, 2015 Infiniti Q60 6-Speed Sport Coupe (wife's, really), 2003 5-speed Honda Civic Coupe, 1960-something Jeep Gladiator (Matchbox)
Yeah, and again this is kind of turning into the diesel overheating thread because were all making assumptions. If I wasn't an enthusiast that came to the forum it would be so much better. I would just be enjoying my new jeep that works great. Instead I'm waiting for it to explode when I'm on the highway lol.
Really this aero discussion is probably moot with regards to the fire victim in this case. The OP stated that the truck was burning after a couple kms of going downhill. Of course these are just speculative scenarios. Doesn't hurt to learn -- I've already learned more about towing than I will probably ever put to use.

And you know the increase from 40 to 60 and above is pretty hefty....... sort of crazy as 40 isn't realistic and sometimes it's below a minimum speed, on the other hand, they do handicap the vehicles give them no advantage during the testing so they should easily match real world conditions.
Yea, and 40 was just the minimum they had to maintain to pass the test. Any slower than 40 and cooling is probably compromised. 40 may not be a realistic goal, but we've all been stuck behind that trailer or motor home crawling up a long grade.
Sponsored

maligator

First Name
Luke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTRD Willys 2021 Hyundai Veloster N DCT
Occupation
Programmer
his aero discussion is probably moot with regards to the fire victim in this case. The OP stated that the truck was burning after a couple kms of going downhill. Of cou
Really this aero discussion is probably moot with regards to the fire victim in this case. The OP stated that the truck was burning after a couple kms of going downhill. Of course these are just speculative scenarios. Doesn't hurt to learn -- I've already learned more about towing than I will probably ever put to use.

Yea, and 40 was just the minimum they had to maintain to pass the test. Any slower than 40 and cooling is probably compromised. 40 may not be a realistic goal, but we've all been stuck behind that trailer or motor home crawling up a long grade.
They should have two capacities GVWR and then another one that says the max it can tow going the speed limit anywhere in the US when it's 100 out lol.

OP
OP
Maximus Gladius

Maximus Gladius

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Construction, Gold Mining, Surface Engineer

I drove the hill the victim drove to measure it’s distance. If he came up the entire distance (he could have entered in several different places) it’s 4 kms up a steep grade on Stoney Trail NW. I’ve seen semi trucks burst into flames coming up that hill on several occasions over the years. At the top of the hill it pretty much levels out for at least 1 km then it was 4 kms down a decline to the truck’s inferno death. Coming down is not as steep as coming up.

The rate of decline over 4 kms is 86 metres. (282 ft)

GCoop

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JT Mojave ( ̶O̶n̶ ̶o̶r̶d̶e̶r̶)
Since everyone seems to be speculating I'll throw my speculations into the ring.

DPF regen at the worst possible time? Just a wild guess but I've seen and heard of quit a few vehicle and big rig fires that were attributed to this.

Certainly glad to hear the only loss was was property and not life.

Gvsukids

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
Occupation
Delivery Driver
Well, we're waiting on @mikeduffy to get back with us on more details.
https://www.jeepgladiatorforum.com/forum/threads/burned-to-the-ground….48078/post-776779
I agree. There is a standard as we have talked about. But why in the past does it seem like trucks pulled their weight more confidently without a bunch of *'s. All the standard does is makes it so they can inflate advertised towing as much as possible while shedding responsibility. How long untill we need to calculate the wind direction and the material the trailer is made of lol

Is this what the Davis Dam test looked like? lol

1630005812094.png
Towing the Tesla truck?

Sponsored

Courtsm3

First Name
Kayle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport S
Occupation
Thin Blue Line
Be curious what the actual weight on that trailer is. Looks to be at least 15 years old, prob over max loaded up is my guess. Well past the 80% rule for sure.

kd1yt

First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator JT Sport S Red, 2014 Ural sidecar 2wd motorcycle, '51 Dodge M37
Could have been the regen system. It could have failed or something could have got too close to it and caught on fire. After owning one, I am not a fan of modern diesels and will not own another one. The regen system on my Colorado would get extremely hot and you could smell it inside the cab. Looking at it during an oil change, I could tell the system had gotten too hot by the color. Regen systems themselves are not really reliable and too many trips less than 30 minutes is hard on the system.
I had a 2015 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel and, although I liked the truck in many ways, I arrived at the same exact perspective as above. Before I got a GDE tune there was no way to even know when it was going into, or in the middle of a regen, except maybe, sometimes, if you started to smell unusual extents of heat, and a bit of a different pattern in how the AT shifted (it tended to stay in lower gears longer and more persistently during regen). With the GDE tune, at least it sent a regen-in-progress signal to the dash, letting me know that it was in a regen, so that I could, if schedule and circumstances permitted, decide to keep driving until it completed a regen- which was often a "not casual" extra time and distance (as in, having it light off a regen 2 miles before arriving home and needing to "drive on" another approximate 10-12 overall extra miles to see it through completion of the regen). Without indication of when it was in a regen, I expect it could have been frequently been having uncompleted regens that needed to be restarted. In fact, even once I became able to be aware (via the GDE) of "in-regen" in some situations in which I was pressed for time, I did have to stop mid-regen (at which point it put the uncompleted regen off until some other point)(and sometimes when my schedule was full and inflexible, that led to a bunch of uncompleted regens stacking up, even though I really tried to avoid that)(I'd eventually, as soon as time permitted, do a "just to burn it out" drive, which usually was longer than an ordinary regen). And even when I did have the GDE's "heads up" of a regen in progress, and drove it to completion, I also found I really didn't want to stop "right at" the completion of the regen - a lot of distinct hot smells wafted around outside the vehicle after parking, and tink, tink, tink sounds of very hot metal contracting - if I drove another 3-5 miles after completion of regen, it seemed to cool everything back to pretty normal. I really like diesels, for both the torque and the efficiency, I've previously owned several other diesels prior to the '15 Ecodiesel. I also generally respect the need to mitigate diesels' exhaust to some reasonable extent. But I really don't want the kludge-ery that it all adds up to in modern diesels, it just seems like a lot of things skating around edges of potential failure, and a real lack of the simplicity and long-haul, stone-axe reliability that was part of diesels' appeal.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
The 80% thing is not really a rule, it's just something that gets passed around a lot as a rule.
Trailer and towing sites as well as other authoritative resources basically say at normal/lower altitudes towing up to capacity is fine. (only forum answers seem to mention that as a "rule", authoritative resources don't)

etrailer says it's fine to tow up to your stating towing capacity.
Another site says the same, but includes reductions for altitude, and they say the 80% may have come from that because at higher altitudes, the reduction for every thousand feet or whatever it is ends up being about 80% so suggest that may be where it came from.

From a towing site -
But the so-called 80% rule (again, which one?) is a performance rule. In truth you can safely tow right up to your maximum towing capacity of 6700 pounds. Keep in mind this is computed with the vehicle empty so it's not a planning number, it's really a maximum.

And another trailer site -
Most of the major truck manufacturers are now using SAE J2807 as the standard for calculating GCWR and TWR, I don't think having a buffer is any longer necessary. With today's modern standards, I don't see any reason not to tow up to the calculated max allowable for a tow-ready vehicle.

From another towing site -
  • Some RVers have also suggested to never exceed 80% of the tow vehicle's gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR). The testing standard imposed by NHTSA for brakes already includes the capacity to stop at the GVWR and considers emergency stopping conditions.
  • Occasionally, a 70% rule is used. While the 70% rule may work most of the time, this rule may overly limit a trailer too much. Therefore, the trailer buyer could lose an opportunity to buy a trailer that would not exceed the vehicle's realistic vehicle towing capacity (RVTC)

maligator

First Name
Luke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Programmer
  • Occasionally, a 70% rule is used. While the 70% rule may work most of the time, this rule may overly limit a trailer too much. Therefore, the trailer buyer could lose an opportunity to buy a trailer that would not exceed the vehicle's realistic vehicle towing capacity (RVTC)
It's funny you say that. I was driving down the road today and saw two campers on the side of the road for sale that looked nice. I'm thinking to myself that the fronts look like they gotta wayyy too much area for this guy lol. Way too flat too, like most campers. Then I felt disappointed that I have to think about how a camper with a flat front is a risky gamble for my little jeep lol. Then I saw a Bronco pulling out of the dealer I ordered mine from and just arrived home generally disappointed. Maybe I'll go look at boats tomorrow, they have pointy fronts and I can go find some low elevation lakes to pull it to lol.

Sponsored

Chestnut

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 WRX, 2017 Forester XT, 2021 JTO
Occupation
Civil Engineer
It's funny you say that. I was driving down the road today and saw two campers on the side of the road for sale that looked nice. I'm thinking to myself that the fronts look like they gotta wayyy too much area for this guy lol. Way too flat too, like most campers. Then I felt disappointed that I have to think about how a camper with a flat front is a risky gamble for my little jeep lol. Then I saw a Bronco pulling out of the dealer I ordered mine from and just arrived home generally disappointed. Maybe I'll go look at boats tomorrow, they have pointy fronts and I can go find some low elevation lakes to pull it to lol.
I got a boat for sale, nice light 14' lund with a 25 hp Yamaha.... ;)

If you want a travel trailer just get one. IMO just be reasonable with size. So many of these travel trailers are too over the top trying to repalce home. I wish they shifted to smaller and light weight.

Most places i camp have nice bathrroms, and nice fire rings for cooking. I wish there were decent light trailers that just had AC and a bed, with some room to move around to change. I've almost made a foamie multiple times and have also considered some micro traielrs like runaway campers.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase

If you want a travel trailer just get one. IMO just be reasonable with size. So many of these travel trailers are too over the top trying to repalce home. I wish they shifted to smaller and light weight.

Most places i camp have nice bathrroms, and nice fire rings for cooking. I wish there were decent light trailers that just had AC and a bed, with some room to move around to change. I've almost made a foamie multiple times and have also considered some micro traielrs like runaway campers.
Young people often don't know what real camping is or was. It's all about glamping now. I want an oven I can bake a pie in, I want my king size bed and a 240 square foot bedroom area and a big play area for the kids inside so they aren't out among the bugs and ucky stuff. Heaven forbid they see a squirrel.
I need to post the pic I have of the fold down camper pulled by Dad's 64 Rambler wagon - that FIVE of us used to travel and camp in. No microwave, just a 2 burner cook top, beds were more like cots, gasoline lantern (man that was sure nice in the SUMMER). No AC and you had running water if you had a long hose and there was a hydrant close-by.
It's called CAMPING, not GLamping. There's not supposed to be glamour and comfort - if you want a king size hybrid mattress for the kids and cable TV and a microwave and french door fridge with ice and water dispenser and full oven, go to a hotel or a BnB.

maligator

First Name
Luke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Programmer

Are there any 4 season light campers that anybody knows of. I don't want like a tiny pod, but something small that has heat/ac, enough room to stand and walk around in at least part of it and maybe sleep 2 people that don't want to hold each other and a dog. I want something for Hunting and some camping in the summer.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
This was camping..............based on the fact our side street wasn't yet paved, and it was the Rambler, this had to have been our trip to Missouri along the Mississippi down toward Mark Twain areas
5 of us, although my brothers and I were quite young (I was maybe 10 or 11?)

This was my parents first car with AC and power anything. 287, automatic.
The next trip was pulling a fold-down camper behind the 68 Valiant, slant 6 with automatic.

Ah, modern conveniences.........

Jeep Gladiator Gladiator on fire, burned to the ground… Rambler-wagon-camper
Sponsored