My dad wants a Renegade Trailhawk but I'm trying to get him into a Wrangler

Orange01z28

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Sport S
He wants something short and actually 4x4 so he can use it for hunting on ranch/orchards in far northern CA.

They're similar cost, almost identical in size externally, and I believe the Wrangler has better interior size. Any reason why he should look at the Renegade outside of gas mileage?
Sponsored

Aonarch

First Name
Alec
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Engineer
The Renegade is just a shitty FIAT.

Ignore the Jeep badging.

If he wants an AWD crossover, I'd rather have the Ford Bronco Sport, or Toyota RAV4.

If it has to be a Jeep, the Cherokee's seem pretty solid.

BUZZHEAD

First Name
BOB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JEEP RUBICAN GLADIATOR ,2016 HD SLIMS
Occupation
WEED PULLER
RENEGADE WORTHLESS -like driving a go cart.
No comparison to a wrangler in any way .I had the oppurtunity to drive one as a loaner when my GLADIATOR was in the shop.
GET A WRANGLER OR BETTER YET A GLADIATOR.

glassjawkid32

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
I owned a renegade before my gladiator. It was easily the most garbage vehicle I've ever owned. The paint was simply flaking off after only 2 years. It was louder and rougher than any vehicle I've ever owned and simply wasn't comfortable. I don't think there is any reason to look at them other than cost/fuel economy.

Sponsored

bleda2002

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR Firecracker Red
He wants something short and actually 4x4 so he can use it for hunting on ranch/orchards in far northern CA.

They're similar cost, almost identical in size externally, and I believe the Wrangler has better interior size. Any reason why he should look at the Renegade outside of gas mileage?

At the minimum he should be looking for a cherokee trailhawk. The renegade is a high mpg city cross over that lets jeep bump its avg fuel mileage up, its more fiat than jeep since its literally an italian made car.

Motoarch

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cherokee
Occupation
Architect
Renegade isn't a 4x4. It's an AWL drive car based off a front wheel platform fiat.

If he just doing unpaved roads and not actually going off road it should be fine. If he needs to do any legitimate off roading it will not be any more useful than a Subaru. And a Subaru might be a better choice.

Challenger85

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21’ Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Electrical
Wrangler! Someone said the Bronco sport, Ford sucks.

WILDHOBO

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Network Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
The Renegade is just a shitty FIAT.

Ignore the Jeep badging.

If he wants an AWD crossover, I'd rather have the Ford Bronco Sport, or Toyota RAV4.

If it has to be a Jeep, the Cherokee's seem pretty solid.
There’s a big difference between the renegade Trailhawk and the non Trailhawk. We had one and were very happy with it. Very capable off road. Tow hooks, towing package. It was a Jeep. I definitely wouldn’t get a non Trailhawk though. Very different vehicles. I had to winch out a RAV4 in a snow drift today. That’s a mall crawler, but it couldn’t crawl over a curb. No tow hooks, no hitch because it interferes with the power lift gate. Hilarious. Renegade has Selectable 4L with a rear locker. Good luck bronco sport or RAV4.
If he wants a wrangler, great. If he doesn’t and is pushed into one, he might have buyers remorse.

Sponsored

WILDHOBO

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Network Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
You can't let your Pops drive this vehicle. It's not a proper way for a grown man to get around.

Jeep Gladiator My dad wants a Renegade Trailhawk but I'm trying to get him into a Wrangler 2022-jeep-renegade-mmp-1-1637600734
Drive one before you make that claim. Fully removable roof as well. It’s not a wrangler, but I will defend its capability. If you haven’t driven one on a serious trail, go do it. You’ll likely be surprised.

CerOf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘21 JTRD
He looking new or used?

A grand Cherokee is not very large and it’s 4wd system is near perfect.
It is truly a near luxury vehicle that, IMO, punches above its weight.

OP
OP
Orange01z28

Orange01z28

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Sport S
Wrangler! Someone said the Bronco sport, Ford sucks.
My dad won't buy a Ford

These are all the things I"ve been saying to him. Glad to see I'm not nuts

Challenger85

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21’ Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Electrical
My dad won't buy a Ford

These are all the things I"ve been saying to him. Glad to see I'm not nuts
They don’t QC their stuff! The Bronco has so many issues from unpainted trunks, mismatched seats, leaking tops, blown engines. You’re definitely not nuts! I know everyone hates the Blazer not being a blazer but they’re a nice crossover type of car. My wife wants a Bronco and I’m trying to get her to get a Cherokee or a wrangler instead.

869 KPH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 JTR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Hot Dog Vendor
Drive one before you make that claim. Fully removable roof as well. It’s not a wrangler, but I will defend its capability. If you haven’t driven one on a serious trail, go do it. You’ll likely be surprised.
lol this just reminds me that every time I'm at an auto show where they do the off-road demonstrations no one ever wants to ride in the non-JL/JT or full-size Bronco. The driver in the renegade or bronco sport just rides around the track alone all day listening to a podcast or something.

That said - I've always kinda thought what you say would be true. Still just not for me.
Sponsored