Sponsored

Buying a car for a family member when they get old enough to drive

Are you going to buy a car for a family member when they are old enough to drive? Please explain.

• Total voters

CerOf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘21 JTRD
I was given a $5,000 Honda prelude to me be my folks. I was responsible for all repair and maintenance.

I bought my eldest daughter a $15k(at the time) Equinox. My younger two kids share a Nissan Xterra ($5k) vehicle.

None got new cars. The eldest got the “newer” as she was doing school car pool and other errands for us; needed reliable transportation.
The X was purchased from a neighbor; a sweetheart deal. Immaculate, fully loaded, 2008, 98k miles. Bought it a year ago. I remember the day my neighbor brought it home in 2008.

My kids have summer jobs.
but I pay for bothnof their autos.
They work hard in school and demonstrate responsibility elsewhere. I’m fortunate to be in a position with my wife to do these things for them.
Sponsored

Mojave2021

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Gladiator
Debating this right now with my son about to turn 15. My parents bought me one of the worst cars ever made in a 1982 dodge 400 convertible back in 1993. About 5 horsepower and no brakes. Nearly got killed on my first drive when it died in the middle of an intersection. Almost died probably about 20 more times before we got rid of it. It got broken into several times too.
Moral of the story if you are going to buy a car buy a safe ond dependable one. And especially not an 82 Dodge 400😀

JAVIERGONZO

First Name
Javier
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Navy
Not a brand new vehicle. I can't forget all the times when I did have a job at 16, that not having a car made it harder.

But also who cares about what others do for their children, lol. I'm going to make sure mine have a great start as any parent should.

I was gifted my first car and I turned out pretty good.

No Quarter

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S
Occupation
Business Consultant
Three kids, all got cars when they were of age to drive.

My parents surprised me with my first car, a 79 Monte Carlo, when I came home from a high school trip. I paid for my own gas and insurance.

My kids have seen how hard you have to work to be able to afford 5 family vehicles, a nice house, good family trips, etc etc etc.

They are smart. They know that in order to have nice things and security, you have to go all in on your life. They also know what really matters the most is not just "stuff" but family and time spent together enjoying the passage of time.

JTBurns

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
My dad gave me my first car. He worked about an hour away 6-7 days a week because he would never say no to overtime, so he always had a few beaters. It was a 99 Nissan Altima that I got with about 95k on it. Had it in high school, then not my freshman year of college, but after that, and then until I bought my own car and gave it back. He ended up with like 350k on it. So our kids will get some sort of hand-me-down, beater, or neighbor's old car when they can pay for their own gas and insurance. If they need help with with an unexpected expensive repair, I'll probably help them out there too.

Sponsored

DailyMoparGuy

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Sport S 3.6L
Occupation
Engineer
If they’re doing well in school and working (or playing sports), then yup, we’ll get em a truck/suv. It’ll be used with low mileage though. They’ll also need to take a legit defensive driving course. I don’t even know if states require that at 16 anymore.

JTDay

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Sport S
Occupation
EHS
My parents are well off but likewise to some others did not help me buy a car. I don't have any regrets with having to work to buy my own stuff. In college (5 years ago) my 2nd car that I bought for 1500 bucks shit the bed and my parents loaned me 5 grand so I could get something safe and reliable for 15k and that was awesome. I anticipate if my wife and me have kids, we'll be helping them out with a vehicle as long as we feel they've earned it. I've got at least 16 years to change my mind lol.

punk'n

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
R.I.P '20 Overland (totaled) Welcome home '21 Rubi
I'm the youngest of 11 children born to the same parents. Something you would rarely see today. My father was the sole income provider growing up and was a metal mechanic. Not the highest paying job but with OT he made due. At a young age, we were taught hard work makes you successful in life. Saturdays were spent helping our father fix things around the house. If you were too young to help, you handed the screw driver to him or sat and watched..... all day. This paid off later in life when we worked on our own houses, having learned the basics of plumbing, electrical, and home maintenance.

Although we had a roof over our head growing up, clothes on our backs (usually hand me downs) and food in our bellies, nothing else was handed to us. Well, aside from catholic school education. My parents raised all of us on that one income while paying off the house that my father hand built... literally.

Even with 11 kids, my parents never took any form of government handout. We had the staples but no luxuries, one bathroom, one house phone that everyone used (5 minute limit), one black and white TV with rabbit ears and my parents had 1 car (each one was kept a minimum of 10 years) that no one was allowed to drive. If you wanted to drive, you went to work and bought your own car and paid for your own insurance. If you wanted to go to college, you paid for it yourself.

My first job was at a florist up the street from my house that my mother got for me and my brother. I was 11 years old at the time and didn't even know I was looking for a job. My mother told me otherwise. Of course, it was only 2 hours a day after school and about 6 hours on Saturdays. I thought I was working full time. But, as with the rest of my siblings, I had to pay 10% room and board out of my pay check. So, I was paying about $1 a week to my parents at 11 years old (rule was 10% with a max of $50 per week). My next job was as a dishwasher in a local restaurant when I was 14. I rode my bike to that job on weekends. Oh, and the bike I rode I bought myself with money I saved. Well, my father did lend me like $10 since I was short a few bucks. But, I had to pay him back something like 50 cents a week to pay it off. He kept a ledger that both of us signed every week when I paid him. My parents didn't buy us bikes either.

By senior year of high school, I was working 40 hours a week to save for college and my first car (90K mile used Dodge Omni 024 that my father LET me buy with my own money off my cousin). I was not allowed to buy any other car even though I was paying. I was also not allowed to ever drive it without asking permission... even though I paid for it. I was 18 years old at the time. Since I worked a 3-11 shift, I regularly slept on the school bus to and from school. Yes, that's correct, I could drive my car to work but not to school.

I worked that restaurant job (eventually in the kitchen) until I graduated high school and drove myself 2000 miles to go to college in my used Dodge. I paid for college with the money I saved from work during high school and a full time job in the college town.

I used to think I had it rough since my catholic school friends all had the new toys, new cars and free everything. But, I learned some valuable life lessons growing up. Mainly that working hard can get you far and that you appreciate what you have because you worked hard to get it. I was also taught that you only buy what you have the money for now (aside from a house of course). That $1 room and board at age 11 taught me how to pay for a mortgage. That bicycle loan at an early age taught me how to make a car payment. It also taught me to wash and wax that bike every week and keep it in impeccable condition. Because I paid for it and worked so hard to get it.

In my 20's, I was living in an apartment by myself and saving for my first house. I bought that house by myself when I was 27. By 29, I got married. I paid for my own wedding by selling my "newer" truck and motorcycle. Since then, I saved for retirement and paid off my (second) house. I carry no credit card debt and only now use loans to maintain a credit history just in case. Typically only taking 0% or very low % loans which I pay off early. I paid cash for my Overland and Rubicon.

Don't get me wrong, we didn't grow up like the cleavers. But, we didn't grow up living in the streets either. None of my siblings ended up as addicts, in jail or were financially deficient. I only share my story because I believe as a society we are failing in teaching our children the basics. I understand that we want our children to have it better than us. But, I think handing it to them does a huge disservice. Hard work does so much more for you than just making you tired. It builds character, self reliance and gives you a path for success. I've never met someone who worked their ass off that didn't succeed.

Just my experience and thoughts...

Jefe1018

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JT Rubi Ecodiesel
Build Thread
Link
In my 20's, I was living in an apartment by myself and saving for my first house. I bought that house by myself when I was 27. By 29, I got married. I paid for my own wedding by selling my "newer" truck and motorcycle. Since then, I saved for retirement and paid off my (second) house. I carry no credit card debt and only now use loans to maintain a credit history just in case. Typically only taking 0% or very low % loans which I pay off early. I paid cash for my Overland and Rubicon.
Although likely decades apart, our childhoods were not too far off. I am now entering the 'buy your first house' phase of life. Sadly though, even with my affairs in order, this market is insane and every time I've put in a stupid high offer on a house someone comes in with more stupid than me - I feel like something needs to give. /end off topic rant

With similar experiences, I would ask, if they were your kids and grandkids and it was within your means for a kid who worked / played sports / got good grades / etc, would you help them with the purchase of a vehicle?

I was in a good place and purchased a car for my niece, not a beater, but not anything to gloat over too much. I've never paid insurance, gas or maintenance outside of half of a major repair about 6 weeks into her ownership. I don't regret it. She's a good kid, she works 30ish hours a weeks, is cash flowing her way through nursing school and still manages to hit the gym with me 4 times a week along with other community service.

Tokolosh

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Audi Q7, 2014 Ford Fusion, 2015 Chrysler T&C
Occupation
Director in Automotive Industry
My wife and I will buy a third car for ourselves and our kids of driving age will have access to the cars. We don't make it difficult on them but they do need to show some responsibility in their schooling, sports, and jobs to be able to drive.

And if my daughter needs to be picked up from ballet you can bet my son will be sent to get her. If my younger son needs to get to soccer practice my older son can take him, etc. Their access to the cars will be for our benefit as much as there own.

Sponsored

Sazabi19

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Kia Cadenza, 2020 Jeep Gladiator JT Sport S
I drove my parents 3rd car (older Dodge Intrepid) so I could go to work and school. After being at work for a few months and building a little bit of credit with a credit card, I went to get my own car. Parents cosigned for me to lease a new Saturn Aura :) I didn't really drive or care to before I was 18 and had to for work/school.

They paid for my insurance for the first month or so until my paychecks were regular and I took it over myself. I'd like to think I paid them back though. Gave them my Cadenza a few years ago so they could have a reliable car with an extended warranty (which has paid for itself now). I just paid it off in April so they have no payments on it. When I got my truck I asked if they would be able to pay about $100 of the car a month a they were good with that.

punk'n

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
R.I.P '20 Overland (totaled) Welcome home '21 Rubi
Although likely decades apart, our childhoods were not too far off. I am now entering the 'buy your first house' phase of life. Sadly though, even with my affairs in order, this market is insane and every time I've put in a stupid high offer on a house someone comes in with more stupid than me - I feel like something needs to give. /end off topic rant

With similar experiences, I would ask, if they were your kids and grandkids and it was within your means for a kid who worked / played sports / got good grades / etc, would you help them with the purchase of a vehicle?

I was in a good place and purchased a car for my niece, not a beater, but not anything to gloat over too much. I've never paid insurance, gas or maintenance outside of half of a major repair about 6 weeks into her ownership. I don't regret it. She's a good kid, she works 30ish hours a weeks, is cash flowing her way through nursing school and still manages to hit the gym with me 4 times a week along with other community service.
Unfortunately, buying a house right now is crazy. I feel for you and what you have to go through. If it was me, I would wait it out which would also let me save up even more towards the purchase.

As far as buying a car....I would let my kids drive the "family car" for family reasons... running household errands, going to work etc. If they wanted to do their own things, go their own places, then they could buy their own car. Of course this would be after I helped them find a job.

Its not to be hard nosed or cruel. But, I honestly think its a learning experience that will benefit them the rest of their lives. I fully understand that others will do differently and that's fine too. But, I truly learned major life lessons growing up that way that enabled me to become self sufficient and SOMEWHAT "successful".

gouacats

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTM; JK; WK2
I drove my parents car until I was in college and then they bought me a 73 CJ5 for about $2500 (this was in 1990).

For my kids, I bought my son a severely used Hyundai Sonata for $1000 and he drove that until he was close to graduating college when he bought his own car. My daughter uses my "extra" Jeep (2008 JK w/ 160k miles) and will probably drive that until she graduates college (now a sophomore in college) when she will buy whatever she wants.

So yes, I did buy my kids their 1st car (and mine was bought for me), but they certainly weren't new! That being said, I do know quite a few of my kids friends that drove stupid expensive new cars to high school.

CerOf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘21 JTRD

1) I resent the decades apart. (Hahahaha!!)

2) If I had the means. Yes. Sounds like she has her head on straight. She’ll also repay the favor by changing your diaper when you’re old, like me! ;)

Higher_Ground

First Name
J. T.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gator Sport S
Giving someone a vehicle doesn't make them spoiled. Giving them a new vehicle, that's where you go wrong LOL

I wasn't given a car when I was a kid, but I'm 99% sure that's because my parents couldn't afford to buy me one. I had a job at 15 and couldn't really afford to buy one either. I could afford a bike and learned to make friends with people who had cars. Eventually my brother got into a school in a different state so they did get him a car. I guess if you buy the younger son a car, you have to give the older one too so that's what they did. I got my first car at 21 and it was 15 years old at that point.

I saw a pretty touching article the other day about a guy who worked as a janitor for a school. The teachers noticed him walking every day even when it was raining. They got together and pooled enough money to buy him a used car, nothing fancy but reliable enough to get to work. The smile on that man's face was gratitude and there's nothing wrong with that.
Sponsored