Sponsored

Apple CarPlay issue fixed with most recent iOS 15.2.1?

Jefe1018

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JT Rubi Ecodiesel
Build Thread
Link
If anyone is having issues with the center console CarPlay with an iPhone 12 or newer, you will need to use the oem lightning to usb c with an adapter to usb a. There was another thread on here and that solution worked for my iPhone 12.

This is the usb c female to usb a male adapter I am using.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07MMTJL1N/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_RN9KREMENM686C1TXX1R?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

I previously CarPlay would disconnect within minutes and would sometimes work for 10 minutes but then cut out. Calls wouldn’t last more than 10 seconds.

Hope this helps!
Finally got around to opening the package and on my 15 minute drive to work it was working just fine with this adapter. Let’s see how it goes long term!
Sponsored

jcarbs

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator, 2021 Tahoe
Apple may have fixed this issue, but with this update, now Waze doesn't load properly and locks up. You have to close it or disconnect your phone several times before it loads. I understand from the WAZE help site that Apple is supposedly aware of it but who knows when it will be fixed

Von1992

First Name
Alexander
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Finally got around to opening the package and on my 15 minute drive to work it was working just fine with this adapter. Let’s see how it goes long term!
It will occasionally disconnect a couple times for when when I first start driving but doesn’t happen after. I’ll take that over it disconnecting constantly!

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Sting Gray Sport S
Occupation
Software Engineer
Apple may have fixed this issue, but with this update, now Waze doesn't load properly and locks up. You have to close it or disconnect your phone several times before it loads. I understand from the WAZE help site that Apple is supposedly aware of it but who knows when it will be fixed
No fix for me. Same issue in the center console on 3 different iPhone models. Definitely a Jeep problem on my end.

GibbonsMonkey

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator; 2020 Ford F350
Yea, had the TSB done, and the problem is still there for me. I guess I will try the wireless adapter route.

Sponsored

chorky

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
'06 TJ GE, '22 JTR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Forester
does anybody know if there is an actual difference in the wiring that is causing this issue? or can somebody confirm that it is purely due to software

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Sting Gray Sport S
Occupation
Software Engineer

GibbonsMonkey

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator; 2020 Ford F350
there is a TSB for this?
Supposedly. Took the Jeep in for unrelated recalls last week, and mentioned the issues with the center console USB and erorring out. Tech said he found a TSB on the issue, and he performed a system update. Worked for about 45 minutes without issue, but the following day it’s giving the errors again. “Device not supported”

jcarbs

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator, 2021 Tahoe
No fix for me. Same issue in the center console on 3 different iPhone models. Definitely a Jeep problem on my end.
I checked the Waze help page, seems to be more than Jeep. In my previous vehicle with an aftermarket head unit it did it. Extremely frustrating.

chorky

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
'06 TJ GE, '22 JTR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Forester
If it's helpful for anyone I just got in the mail my lightning to usb-c to usb cable for my phone. plugged it into the center console usb and apple car play worked. only had it on for a second so well see this weekend if it actually holds up and works for a while. I know there's a few other folks here who have resorted to the same thing. certainly seems like it is consistent.

Sponsored

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Sting Gray Sport S
Occupation
Software Engineer
USB adapter did not work for me.

Morphling

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Galdiator Diesel
If it's helpful for anyone I just got in the mail my lightning to usb-c to usb cable for my phone. plugged it into the center console usb and apple car play worked. only had it on for a second so well see this weekend if it actually holds up and works for a while. I know there's a few other folks here who have resorted to the same thing. certainly seems like it is consistent.
I got a China crap coiled cable as above. Usbc to lightning. It doesn’t freeze up.

upgraded to new iOS, will try the old USB route and see if it still fails.

I got ordered a new media hub (the ports) with help from Jeepcares and the dealer won’t install it. They are going with the ‘techs advice’ and replacing stereo.

if the new iOS solves issu, I will be happy.

jbmccormick66

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
New joiner here, and I seem to be having a similar problem as I have seen on the prior 5 pages.

• I have a new 2022 Gladiator Rubicon.
  • CarPlay works great in the dash, it never has not connected to CarPlay using an Apple white cord.
  • When I plug my iPhone 13 Pro running iOs 15.4.1 into the center console, I more often than not get an error message saying "device not supported."
    • After hitting "OK" and again getting the same error message, something magical happens and CarPlay comes on.
    • Sometimes it takes longer to come on and sometimes not.
  • I have not had the problem described where CarPlay drops out mid-ride.

I have an appointment for service on Wednesday, but I am not sure I am trading one problem in for another.

I am not really interested in going the wireless route that has been described, but it appears this is a known issue for which there is no known resolution.

Thanks for your help in advance.

John

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Sting Gray Sport S
Occupation
Software Engineer
I've tried many different iPhones, iOS versions, Apple cables, Chinese cables, usb a > c adapters, wireless CarPlay modules and CarPlay always fails within 10 minutes through the center console. I took it in to the dealer today for my first oil change, PCM update, and mentioned the issue to them. Told them to turn on maps, play music, drive around the lot and CarPlay will crash (crashed 5 times on me on my drive to the dealership which is 10 minutes away). Sure enough it failed on them. They are ordering me a new radio.

The one thing I wanted to try but never got around to was a powered USB hub. I would've had to use house power and an extension cord but I was wondering if I used a powered USB hub in the center console, would it work. This was just a bonkers experiment I had in mind but it could prove it is a power issue with the center console USB.