Drove a Diesel JL Today

Oilburner

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1982 Scrambler, 1969 Wagoneer, 2022 JTR Ecodiesel
Pretty quiet up in here - I managed to find an Ecodiesel Wrangler on a dealer lot & took it for a spin - it was pretty Sweet = teh Torques was :rock:
It was a little quieter than I thought it would be, I could feel the weight difference up front & actually think it helped. Tight steering, Very nice Rubicon. Can’t wait for the 3.0L in the JT.... well I guess actually the only choice we have is to wait. ZZZZZzzzzz

For those do-it-yourselfers, the oil filter housing is in a much better place versus the 3.0 in my GC. Much farther forward.

Proof of existence:

31CA4007-0E6E-43C6-BB14-8CE268147E3D.jpeg
Sponsored

Schreconjeep

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 StingGray JTRD, '09 Prius, '15 Odyssey
I'm dying to get my hands on one. One question for me will be diesel fumes with the top down. Personally, I love the smell of oil burning in the morning, but don't want my kids barfing all over the new jeep or have to keep the top up. My only experience with diesel is my 12 valve Cummins so I have no idea what all the new emissions controls do to smell, etc.

OP
OP
Oilburner

Oilburner

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1982 Scrambler, 1969 Wagoneer, 2022 JTR Ecodiesel
The exhaust smells much different these days because of the DEF. In a Gladiator I would think the exhaust is far enough away that you would not smell anything. (not sure I could say that about a Wrangler tho)

Insert_Clever_Name_Here

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Raptor, 2016 Jeep JKU, 2020 JT Rubicon
I can't wait to see them on the road. I really wanted one but couldn't wait for it.

TheSolarWizard

First Name
Memphis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
3.0 JT
Occupation
Solar & EV infrastructure
I'm dying to get my hands on one. One question for me will be diesel fumes with the top down. Personally, I love the smell of oil burning in the morning, but don't want my kids barfing all over the new jeep or have to keep the top up. My only experience with diesel is my 12 valve Cummins so I have no idea what all the new emissions controls do to smell, etc.

That was a hilarious mental image

Sponsored

biodiesel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel
So far, I've heard lots of good things about the Wrangler Ecodiesel. This makes the wait for the Gladiator Ecodiesel that much more exciting.

Karnaj

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Town & Country, 2002 Camry, 2003 Grand Am, 2021 Deisel JTR.
Occupation
Union Electrician
So far, I've heard lots of good things about the Wrangler Ecodiesel. This makes the wait for the Gladiator Ecodiesel that much more exciting.
I don't know about exciting.... excruciating maybe.

biodiesel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel
I don't know about exciting.... excruciating maybe.
I can more easily say that since I don't see myself buying a Gladiator Ecodiesel for a few more years. :like:

remlemasi

First Name
Elmer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTR
The exhaust smells much different these days because of the DEF. In a Gladiator I would think the exhaust is far enough away that you would not smell anything. (not sure I could say that about a Wrangler tho)
I have a BMW 335d with full ABCs intact and the only time I ever smelled anything was when my EGR was leaking

Other than that incident, zero smell whatsoever, even with the car backed into the garage, engine idling away.

Schreconjeep

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 StingGray JTRD, '09 Prius, '15 Odyssey
I have a BMW 335d with full ABCs intact and the only time I ever smelled anything was when my EGR was leaking

Other than that incident, zero smell whatsoever, even with the car backed into the garage, engine idling away.
Good to know. BC I fired up the old 12 valve yesterday in the driveway to and my kids walked into the yard holding their nose and mouth 100yds away. HAHAHAHA

Sponsored

max toe

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Mojito, 1998 audi
eco diesel gen 3, ram lariat in red my friend is buying. he is excited to say the least. and a gator chameleon

3some.jpg

biodiesel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel
eco diesel gen 3, ram lariat in red my friend is buying. he is excited to say the least.
So far, I'm hearing good things from those who purchased one. As I've said all along, FCA felt comfortable with the gen. III engine or they wouldn't be putting it in the Ram, Wrangler, and Gladiator. I'm hearing that the Grand Wagoneer will have the diesel option, too.

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland EcoDiesel
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
By now you all probably know that I leased a Ram with the Gen 3 engine. Here's what I can tell you:

The intercooler hoses still get full of oil.

The EGR tube still gets coked up with soot rapidly.

DEF consumption seems to be alarming. I hope it slows down with time.

With 3.92 gears and 5,555 lbs. of curb weight I'm seeing 23.8 MPG so far in mixed city/highway driving. I'll be updating Fuelly with each fill up going forward.

It does hold 8th gear a LOT better than any gas engine including the Hemi E-Torque, but it will still downshift to 7th at times.

The turbo lag is horrendous. Worst of nearly any turbo vehicle I've ever driven.

It feels like there is a massive amount of torque management incorporated in the tune. I hate this part. I paid for 480 lbs/ft and I want it ALL when I hit the pedal. It's no wonder the Silverado 1500 Duramax wipes the floor with the Ram EcoDiesel in drag races.

On cold starts there's a lot of clatter and noise which I love. Cruising you can't hear it at all. You can hear the turbo whistle a little bit. I'm waiting for a good CAI.

Driving feels good but there isn't the RUSH of torque like my old Jeep Liberty CRD had. That thing was extremely responsive and pushed you back into the seat if you dipped slowly into the throttle. No so on this EcoDiesel. It actually feels underpowered until you get to 50% throttle and beyond. That was a little surprising.

Overall, I like it so far. I think a quality engine tune would wake this engine up from the dead and make it a superstar. For $5k upcharge you shouldn't have to tune it, but such is life I guess.

biodiesel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel
By now you all probably know that I leased a Ram with the Gen 3 engine.
First and foremost, congratulations. Are you planning to buy it after the lease?

Here's what I can tell you:

The intercooler hoses still get full of oil.

The EGR tube still gets coked up with soot rapidly.
As you know, there's no way to get around that on a modern diesel engine except through a tune that disables the EGR. The good news is that a tune will probably be available probably June.

DEF consumption seems to be alarming. I hope it slows down with time.
I'm surprised you've driven it enough to see the needle move much. I get my DEF from Walmart for 7.88 per 2.5 gallon jug.

biodiesel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel
It's no wonder the Silverado 1500 Duramax wipes the floor with the Ram EcoDiesel in drag races.
The Duramax might be faster, but the EcoDiesel tows more.

GM 3.0L Duramax
9,300 lbs. towing capacity
1,870 lbs. max payload
277 horsepower
460 lb-ft. torque @ 1,500 RPMs

Ram 3.0L EcoDiesel
12,560 lbs. towing capacity
2,040 lbs. max payload
260 horsepower
480 lb-ft. torque @1,600 RPMs
Sponsored