Mike๐Ÿ–ค
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'04 KJ -- '21 JTRD
Build Thread
Link
Updated with link to build:
https://www.jeepgladiatorforum.com/...rus_rex-2021-jtr-diesel-build-overland.36039/

I was going to do a 15k review, but then I put another 1k on it this past weekend! Lol. Anyhow...let's get into it.

First: POWER.
It is absolutely incredible with its torque delivery. With all of the weight/modifications I've added to this thing, it simply doesn't seem to care. It still pulls like it did when it was stock. Now that's saying something. Typically as we add all kinds of gadgets to the gas engine Jeeps, they really start to feel it. MPG's go down, get-up-and-go speed goes down, passing on the highway...forget it. Then you're forced ro regear. With the EcoDiesel?...nah. Keep on truckin (Jeepin truckin). Not to mention hearing that turbo spool...its a beautiful sound.

Second: HANDLING
I LOVE the way it rides. I've got just a 2" Mopar lift on here (Fox shocks on all 4 corners), and a crap ton of added weight and terrible aerodynamics....and it still drives phenomenally. The steering is tight, it stays in the lane well, and if I air down just a little bit off road...I can mob through the desert pretty quick. Now on that note...I do hit bumpstops up front quite often...so I'm going to change that up in the future. I'm thinking some of those fancy Mojave ones. Or aftermarket. Not too sure, yet.

Third: OFFROAD
SHEESH! This thing is incredible. Even on the rocks. Of course...yes, the breakover is basura. We know that. But if you go into your obstacle acknowledging that fact, it's cake. A piece of crumb cake. 4hi and Offroad+???? Dear lord...words can't even explain my smile. Something like the Grinch when he's up to no good. 4LO...Jesus ***** ******* Christ. You just have to try it yourself...I can't even explain. This thing is just a beast. Natch, it's not a rock crawler. But it will crawl some big rocks with a good line and some nerves.

Anyhow... after 16,000+ miles on this Jeep since October, I can definitely say that I'm more than happy, and I'd buy another in a heartbeat.
Sponsored

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
Jeepasaurus_Rex

Jeepasaurus_Rex

First Name
Mike๐Ÿ–ค
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'04 KJ -- '21 JTRD
Build Thread
Link
Iโ€™m at 5,100 and have the same feelings as you. The torque and driveability was worth the $4k premium.

My wife is satisfied too! (Her daily is a hulking QX that scoots to 60 in 6.5 seconds.)
That's awesome! It was definitely worth it! I'm still pulling 21-23mpg on most trips. Plenty of power to move, and it's comfortable!

TommyGp

First Name
Tommy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 EcoDiesel Rubicon
Occupation
at a job
I'm right around 3k into mine and have the same impressions, but haven't gotten it on the trails yet simply due to lack of time to go play. However, I have a 68 Camaro and a 72 C10, both of which are awesome cruisers and fun to drive. If the sun is out and the top & doors are off the Juck...it's a battle in my head about which I want to drive. LOL!

OP
OP
Jeepasaurus_Rex

Jeepasaurus_Rex

First Name
Mike๐Ÿ–ค
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'04 KJ -- '21 JTRD
Build Thread
Link
I'm right around 3k into mine and have the same impressions, but haven't gotten it on the trails yet simply due to lack of time to go play. However, I have a 68 Camaro and a 72 C10, both of which are awesome cruisers and fun to drive. If the sun is out and the top & doors are off the Juck...it's a battle in my head about which I want to drive. LOL!

Ooh nice! Yea I'd be torn on what to drive then, too! Also....Juck. I like that

Sponsored

OP
OP
Jeepasaurus_Rex

Jeepasaurus_Rex

First Name
Mike๐Ÿ–ค
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'04 KJ -- '21 JTRD
Build Thread
Link
:tapping foot: Impatiently waiting to see what the 2022 MY colors will be so I can order my diesel JT :/tapping foot:
What color are you hoping for?!

Oilburner

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1982 Scrambler, 1969 Wagoneer, 2022 JTR Ecodiesel
What color are you hoping for?!
Dirt :clap:
Just offer something Earthy non-metallic like Tank, Commando, pretty much any tan/beige/brown will work fine for me. It's been a while since they had one, hopefully 2022 they will bring something like that back. (would have ordered Gator or Gobi last year, but they drug their feet making the diesel available :facepalm:)

OP
OP
Jeepasaurus_Rex

Jeepasaurus_Rex

First Name
Mike๐Ÿ–ค
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'04 KJ -- '21 JTRD
Build Thread
Link
Just offer something Earthy non-metallic like Tank, Commando, pretty much any tan/beige/brown will work fine for me. It's been a while since they had one, hopefully 2022 they will bring something like that back. (would have ordered Gator or Gobi last year, but they drug their feet making the diesel available :facepalm:)

Oohh, yea....that would be awesome! I'm excited to see what you end up getting!

869 KPH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 JTR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Hot Dog Vendor
:tapping foot: Impatiently waiting to see what the 2022 MY colors will be so I can order my diesel JT :/tapping foot:
Yessssss. I'm waiting for this too and hoping it's worth waiting on MY 2022!

Sponsored

OP
OP
Jeepasaurus_Rex

Jeepasaurus_Rex

First Name
Mike๐Ÿ–ค
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'04 KJ -- '21 JTRD
Build Thread
Link

DocMcStuffins

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon Diesel
I was going to do a 15k review, but then I put another 1k on it this past weekend! Lol. Anyhow...let's get into it.

First: POWER.
It is absolutely incredible with its torque delivery. With all of the weight/modifications I've added to this thing, it simply doesn't seem to care. It still pulls like it did when it was stock. Now that's saying something. Typically as we add all kinds of gadgets to the gas engine Jeeps, they really start to feel it. MPG's go down, get-up-and-go speed goes down, passing on the highway...forget it. Then you're forced ro regear. With the EcoDiesel?...nah. Keep on truckin (Jeepin truckin). Not to mention hearing that turbo spool...its a beautiful sound.

Second: HANDLING
I LOVE the way it rides. I've got just a 2" Mopar lift on here (Fox shocks on all 4 corners), and a crap ton of added weight and terrible aerodynamics....and it still drives phenomenally. The steering is tight, it stays in the lane well, and if I air down just a little bit off road...I can mob through the desert pretty quick. Now on that note...I do hit bumpstops up front quite often...so I'm going to change that up in the future. I'm thinking some of those fancy Mojave ones. Or aftermarket. Not too sure, yet.

Third: OFFROAD
SHEESH! This thing is incredible. Even on the rocks. Of course...yes, the breakover is basura. We know that. But if you go into your obstacle acknowledging that fact, it's cake. A piece of crumb cake. 4hi and Offroad+???? Dear lord...words can't even explain my smile. Something like the Grinch when he's up to no good. 4LO...Jesus ***** ******* Christ. You just have to try it yourself...I can't even explain. This thing is just a beast. Natch, it's not a rock crawler. But it will crawl some big rocks with a good line and some nerves.

Anyhow... after 16,000+ miles on this Jeep since October, I can definitely say that I'm more than happy, and I'd buy another in a heartbeat.
Great review! I hope we are all feeling the same in 50-100K miles!!!

OP
OP
Jeepasaurus_Rex

Jeepasaurus_Rex

First Name
Mike๐Ÿ–ค
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'04 KJ -- '21 JTRD
Build Thread
Link

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland EcoDiesel
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
I agree with @Jeepasaurus_Rex , the pulling power is amazing. I've got 17,000 on mine and I tow between 6,300 and 8,000 lbs. depending on situation. The EcoD doesn't care. It'll cruise on the highway in overdrive with that weight behind it. Completely night and day from a gasoline engine.

The happiness I've had with this powertrain in the Ram is what made me decide to order it in my Gladiator. Hoping for a Memorial Day weekend delivery!

As @DocMcStuffins said, the real question will be, are we still this happy with 100,000 miles on the clock? Time will have to tell on that....

OP
OP
Jeepasaurus_Rex

Jeepasaurus_Rex

First Name
Mike๐Ÿ–ค
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'04 KJ -- '21 JTRD
Build Thread
Link
I agree with @Jeepasaurus_Rex , the pulling power is amazing. I've got 17,000 on mine and I tow between 6,300 and 8,000 lbs. depending on situation. The EcoD doesn't care. It'll cruise on the highway in overdrive with that weight behind it. Completely night and day from a gasoline engine.

The happiness I've had with this powertrain in the Ram is what made me decide to order it in my Gladiator. Hoping for a Memorial Day weekend delivery!

As @DocMcStuffins said, the real question will be, are we still this happy with 100,000 miles on the clock? Time will have to tell on that....
I'm glad you're enjoying yourself, and I'm sure you'll enjoy it even more in the JT!

I haven't done any towing just yet, but I will be next month. I'll be pulling two motorcycles on a trailer from Pennsylvania to Texas, so I'll definitely be able to see how it handles then, especially with all the mods. I expect mpg to take a large hit, namely to aerodynamics...which is pretty much all that seems to have affected it this far
Sponsored