Sponsored

2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Hits Dealer System - 1st Official Look @ Engines, Options, Packages, Features!

Novenom

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford focus
Okay, I had thought I saw a post that stated that it would no longer be available...I certainly hope that isn't the case as I was hoping they would increase the towing capacity.
Sponsored

Boatbuilder88

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL Sport S (on order)
Okay, I had thought I saw a post that stated that it would no longer be available...I certainly hope that isn't the case as I was hoping they would increase the towing capacity.
I don't expect an increased towing capacity on the 2-door JL. I think the short wheelbase is the limiting factor.

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU AspenX 5spd , 2015 JK Sport 6spd
That would have to be a mistake... I cant think of a reason why they would not offer it.
I think that rumour came about partly due to the feature not being listed in this thread's build options. I don't remember seeing that rumour before then, and it spread quickly afterwards people noting its absence.

Now, if they did drop the money-generating package, which still seems unlikely, there is a logical reason for it in that the main features are already rolled into the base model as is the case now on the JK essentially. So just add a hitch Mopar receiver and get properly geared, and you're good to go.

I think the last time there was a significant difference in the 'Tow Package' on the Wrangler was in 2012 when it added the Trail-Sway-control (now standard on all JKs) and the Transmission cooler on the Automatic (also now standard on all autos). Now essentially you're paying for the Mopar hitch receiver and 4 pin adapter to be pre-installed for when you pick it up, which they could just have as a feature-add instead of a 'package', it amounts to the same thing.

However, considering all of their talk about improving performance in the towing area, it would be odd to not have improved trailer-ing options.

Although if they just offer those features like the Big Brake Kit to everyone to improve stopping distance in general, and not be forced to get a hitch receiver or 4-pin connector in order to get options that may help other setups, then I'm ok with that too.
Especially since I usually don't order the Tow Package so I can add the 7-pin Wrangler harness instead of the default 4-pin.

I have a feeling it will still be offered since FCA makes more money installing the parts at the plant than selling the individually via Mopar.

Seems likely, it was just one of those features that wasn't seen by the admin/source when they were poking around in the system.

digitalbliss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1979 CJ7
I think that rumour came about partly due to the feature not being listed in this thread's build options. I don't remember seeing that rumour before then, and it spread quickly afterwards people noting its absence.

Now, if they did drop the money-generating package, which still seems unlikely, there is a logical reason for it in that the main features are already rolled into the base model as is the case now on the JK essentially. So just add a hitch Mopar receiver and get properly geared, and you're good to go.

I think the last time there was a significant difference in the 'Tow Package' on the Wrangler was in 2012 when it added the Trail-Sway-control (now standard on all JKs) and the Transmission cooler on the Automatic (also now standard on all autos). Now essentially you're paying for the Mopar hitch receiver and 4 pin adapter to be pre-installed for when you pick it up, which they could just have as a feature-add instead of a 'package', it amounts to the same thing.

However, considering all of their talk about improving performance in the towing area, it would be odd to not have improved trailer-ing options.

Although if they just offer those features like the Big Brake Kit to everyone to improve stopping distance in general, and not be forced to get a hitch receiver or 4-pin connector in order to get options that may help other setups, then I'm ok with that too.
Especially since I usually don't order the Tow Package so I can add the 7-pin Wrangler harness instead of the default 4-pin.

I have a feeling it will still be offered since FCA makes more money installing the parts at the plant than selling the individually via Mopar.

Seems likely, it was just one of those features that wasn't seen by the admin/source when they were poking around in the system.
This would make sense and I agree with all the points you make here. And to alleviate anyone's fears, there is no reason to believe the JL(U) with have any reduced ability to tow when compared to a current JK(U). Hopefully, may me anyway, they are actually able on increase its ability.

Nebakadnezar

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mercedes GL450, Ford F150
I kind of feel like the biggest news and question in this order page snafu is whether they really will have the Ecodiesel available at release. All other research I've seen, including a tagged article on the front page here, says that it won't be available until the 2019 model.

Sponsored

Jeepsterfreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda
There are currently two tow options for base JK. One is simply a hitch the other is hitch plus 3.73 gears. I think they call it max tow option.

Are the JL gearing options listed in the dealer system yet?

Mtruckstuff

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1981 CJ-8, 1990 MJ, 1966 CJ-6, 2017 Subaru WRX
I searched the forums and saw what kind of discounts people were getting off without the program so I had that average going in. I then told them I wanted the discount combined with the tread lightly discount. The dealership I worked with said Ok as long as I would put the order in right then. So I did and had my custom ordered Wrangler roughly 6 weeks later.
Used same method on my '14 Rubicon X. Works! Discounts may be scarce to begin with, but the worst they can say is "no". If not find another dealer that will do it (unless you live out in bfe)
Sponsored