Sponsored

DunnMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
If you are coming off a rack and pinion equipped vehicle, you will notice the difference from a recirculating ball type. Rack and Pinion is not as robust and offers less wheel turning range. The RB system was chosen for a reason. Glad the Trailbreaker was never designed to be a spots car.
I know how a Jeep is supposed to drive, my point is there is a problem with a lot of the new Gladiatotors and bad steering issues. 2 mins search in the forum will find you a lot of examples. I personally test drove 2 separate Rubicon JT's and they were literally dangerous at highway speeds. This is not a 'Jeep' thing I've driven other Jeeps and a 79 Bronco and they all drove like Ferraris compared to the two JT's.
Sponsored

ttn333

First Name
Tuan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
none
I was in a 4x4 store last week talking with the guy behind the counter. He was way cool helping with potential mods for my Gladiator. He motioned to all the lift kits hanging on the wall and pointed out almost everyone who buys that stuff buys it because they want it and not because they need it.

Yeah, just like with the Rubicon, dollars to doughnuts, lots of Mojave buyers will rip out the factory stuff and throw in custom stuff withing days of purchase. Not because they need it but because they want it.
From this short discussion, you may be right. People seem to be missing the point of the Mojave, which is the high speed baja style suspension. You buy the Mojave for the suspension. You don't buy the Rubicon for it's suspension, but for all the other features like front lockers etc.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase

Kent5

First Name
Kent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT shopping
Occupation
Technology
I really like the Mojave. I really do. I'd consider one if they weren't so rare/new and the Rubicon's already have great discounts.

I get that the mission of the Mojave is different than the Rubicon (desert running vs. rock crawling). And I totally see the writer's point about how most people won't "need" the missing Rubicon parts anyway. I get that... most Rubicon buyers won't ever "need" all that hardware (as if "do I need it?" is really a "requirement" for most buyers in this segment)

However, I'm not seeing how the Mojave is priced the same as the Rubicon. In comparison, it is missing a lot of expensive hardware, most notably the front electric locker, the electric sway bar disconnect, the 4:1 Tcase. Yes it adds some even higher spec shocks, but it is replacing some *already* upgraded shocks in the process, so it's not like 100% of that cost needs to be accounted for. I doubt the Mojave hood costs FCA any more than the Rubicon hood. Yes, hydraulic front jounce bumpers and a very few scattered small frame gussets. Those items make up for the thousands of dollars in removed Rubicon hardware?

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
I really like the Mojave. I really do. I'd consider one if they weren't so rare/new and the Rubicon's already have great discounts.

I get that the mission of the Mojave is different than the Rubicon (desert running vs. rock crawling). And I totally see the writer's point about how most people won't "need" the missing Rubicon parts anyway. I get that... most Rubicon buyers won't ever "need" all that hardware (as if "do I need it?" is really a "requirement" for most buyers in this segment)

However, I'm not seeing how the Mojave is priced the same as the Rubicon. In comparison, it is missing a lot of expensive hardware, most notably the front electric locker, the electric sway bar disconnect, the 4:1 Tcase. Yes it adds some even higher spec shocks, but it is replacing some *already* upgraded shocks in the process, so it's not like 100% of that cost needs to be accounted for. I doubt the Mojave hood costs FCA any more than the Rubicon hood. Yes, hydraulic front jounce bumpers and a very few scattered small frame gussets. Those items make up for the thousands of dollars in removed Rubicon hardware?
Couldn’t have said it better myself. The Mojave’s cost vs. value does not equal-out In my opinion, as well.

Sponsored

LostWoods

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 4Runner / 1995 YJ
From this short discussion, you may be right. People seem to be missing the point of the Mojave, which is the high speed baja style suspension. You buy the Mojave for the suspension. You don't buy the Rubicon for it's suspension, but for all the other features like front lockers etc.
Which is why I don't get the point of the article. The SFA makes it an ideal trail truck and a pretty poor desert truck. I mean, all the Baja trucks are IFS for a reason and the TRD Pro or ZR2 are far more stable at speed. Those platforms make sense to build a go-fast truck but for the Gladiator, I think they really just needed to find something that competed with the TRD Off Road, Z71, and FX4 trucks... namely a Sport S with a locker.

I get that Jeep didn't want to eat Rubi sales but look at the Tacoma... the TRD Pro and TRD Off-Road are literally a set of mid-market shocks and a cosmetic package apart and Toyota still gets massive markups on the TDRP. There's no reason Jeep can't do the same when most who buy a Rubicon (like the TRDP) are doing it to show off anyway.

I mean the fact you can only get lockers in the expensive Rubicon is a huge dig when the others offer them on trucks at $10k less. Even the Ranger XL can be had with a locker.

Bobzdar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon, 1989 grand wagoneer
I'm sure they'll release a Rubicon/Mojave mash up in a few years as a special edition when they're trying to move units. Think Rubi with upgraded frame, knuckles and shocks. As long as it gets the 7k lb tow rating of the Rubi, it'll be the JT to get.

Kent5

First Name
Kent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT shopping
Occupation
Technology
I'm sure they'll release a Rubicon/Mojave mash up in a few years as a special edition when they're trying to move units. Think Rubi with upgraded frame, knuckles and shocks. As long as it gets the 7k lb tow rating of the Rubi, it'll be the JT to get.
I wouldn't be surprised if ALL JT's got the "Mojave frame reinforcements" at some point. They're small, there's just a couple, and the cost savings of just producing ONE frame instead of two would likely save more than the cost of the few little gussets.

Last edited:

ttn333

First Name
Tuan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
none
Which is why I don't get the point of the article. The SFA makes it an ideal trail truck and a pretty poor desert truck. I mean, all the Baja trucks are IFS for a reason and the TRD Pro or ZR2 are far more stable at speed. Those platforms make sense to build a go-fast truck but for the Gladiator, I think they really just needed to find something that competed with the TRD Off Road, Z71, and FX4 trucks... namely a Sport S with a locker.

I get that Jeep didn't want to eat Rubi sales but look at the Tacoma... the TRD Pro and TRD Off-Road are literally a set of mid-market shocks and a cosmetic package apart and Toyota still gets massive markups on the TDRP. There's no reason Jeep can't do the same when most who buy a Rubicon (like the TRDP) are doing it to show off anyway.

I mean the fact you can only get lockers in the expensive Rubicon is a huge dig when the others offer them on trucks at $10k less. Even the Ranger XL can be had with a locker.
Agreed. Also, it's not like the Mojave is a fast truck or any faster than a Rubicon. So you're paying the same price as a rubicon and getting less. It's just not a good buy unless you just want to be different and get that Mojave batch.

Sponsored

TheSolarWizard

First Name
Memphis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
3.0 JT
Occupation
Solar & EV infrastructure
I wouldn't be surprised if ALL JT's got the "Mojave frame reinforcements" at some point. They're small, there's just a couple, and the cost savings of just producing ONE frame instead of two would likely save more than the cost of the few little gussets.
if you skip to 6:45 it looks like around 4 feet of the frame has been altered

MrKnowitall

First Name
Guenther
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
14 JKU-R

Aftermarket equivalent shocks on the Mojave cost $2200 more than those on the Rubicon. Hydro bumps add another $400. Parts cost for a front locker is about a grand, JK-R swaybars were less than $200 at the dealer until they figured out people were buying them for non-swaybars. What else does the Mohave not have? A 241OR case likely costs about the same as a regular 241.
I think what the rationale for the Mojave comes down to, is that you drive around on the suspension every time you get behind the wheel, while most will hardly ever use the front locker. I do love the swaybar disconnect on our JKUR.

Kent5

First Name
Kent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT shopping
Occupation
Technology
Aftermarket equivalent shocks on the Mojave cost $2200 more than those on the Rubicon. Hydro bumps add another $400. Parts cost for a front locker is about a grand, JK-R swaybars were less than $200 at the dealer until they figured out people were buying them for non-swaybars. What else does the Mohave not have? A 241OR case likely costs about the same as a regular 241.
I think what the rationale for the Mojave comes down to, is that you drive around on the suspension every time you get behind the wheel, while most will hardly ever use the front locker. I do love the swaybar disconnect on our JKUR.
Couple things:
*The remote reservoir Fox shocks are $2200 more than the already-upgraded Fox shocks on the Rubicon? (which retail for almost $200 each on their own) Wow, those Mojave shocks are some EXPENSIVE shocks for an OEM. So they must be close to $1000 each to replace when they go bad. Good to know.

* The e-disconnect front swaybar setup is clearly not "$200" -- actual MSRP is nearly $1900. Perhaps we're talking about two different things?
From the parts catalog: "68251037AC Stabilizer Bar W/ELECTRIC DISCONNECT $1,845.00"

* You're probably right about the price difference between the Rubicon and standard Tcase -- that's likely not a big OEM cost difference.

Someone else had mentioned that about 4' of frame under the bed has been changed (highlighted in the video). There seems to be some mixed info on that, as other sources have said it is just the spring seat/bumpstop bracket that was changed/uprated. Guess more info will need to come out on that.

Factoid

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator 2019 Porsche Cayenne 1964 Corvette
Occupation
Performance Coach
It is this statement the article makes about the steering that is bs:

...At highway speeds, all Gladiators require regular steering corrections to travel straight...

That is complete bs, my heavy foot takes a set at 85mph on I-285 when commuting to work. Steering is smooth as butter.
Sponsored