First Name
Zac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT
Build Thread
Link
I never liked the Gladiator name either. I'd go with "Ridge Runner" personally.
Except that “Ridge Runner” is a trademark belonging to Goodyear Tire, and it sounds like a desert version of the Honda Ridgeline...
Sponsored

Last edited by a moderator:

2020 SCRAMBLER

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
So if your one and only supplier for part "X" goes down you are SOL and have to shut down the entire production line???

If that's the case then FCA really is screwed up...

Cypressbog

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited Sport. 2012 Ram 2500 Crew Cab 4X4.
So ordering is pushed back? Getting reminiscent of us waiting for the original JL last year.

Old Dog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 2500 Chevrolet Suburban
So if your one and only supplier for part "X" goes down you are SOL and have to shut down the entire production line???

If that's the case then FCA really is screwed up...
Happens more than you think. With "just in time" assembly plants the days of warehousing parts are LONG gone. Also OEM's only pay for one set of tools/dies. If a company goes down they can move those tools to another supplier but in the meanwhile the plant sits.

A supplier makes an IP assembly based on the plant's assembly order that day.

Breaktrack

First Name
Mac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Retired
So has anyone confirmed the actual towing capacity on this thing? I know the photos and data sheet snatched off their site said something like 7,650 lbs or close to it. If that’s true I’m a definite on purchasing as soon as the ordering banks are open!

Mac

Sponsored

eternus

First Name
Jody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sting-Gray Sport S Max Tow
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Product Manager
So has anyone confirmed the actual towing capacity on this thing? I know the photos and data sheet snatched off their site said something like 7,650 lbs or close to it. If that’s true I’m a definite on purchasing as soon as the ordering banks are open!

Mac
Nothing is confirmed anywhere yet. Speculation is that the diesel when it comes out might have a higher towing capacity... but that's speculation. Good news! They're revealing it next week and everything will be confirmed and the next countdown will start... ordering day.

eternus

First Name
Jody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Product Manager
giphy.gif
Me figuring out my financial situation so I can get the rubi.... I’ll be good!!!!...... ish....
This is me today, I've been holding off on the "Why" conversation with my wife until I had all the facts... but I guess it's pretty obvious that the why's would happen. She greeted me with a "I already know why, the question is HOW". I sure hope they price it to let me get a level of fun beyond "utilitarian" when order day comes.

OSO131

First Name
BRAYAND
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CHEVY 1500 SILVERADO
Occupation
USN
This is me today, I've been holding off on the "Why" conversation with my wife until I had all the facts... but I guess it's pretty obvious that the why's would happen. She greeted me with a "I already know why, the question is HOW". I sure hope they price it to let me get a level of fun beyond "utilitarian" when order day comes.
I do t think I’ll be able to do anything higher than 50k that’s already crazy number as is.

Sponsored

eternus

First Name
Jody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Product Manager
I do t think I’ll be able to do anything higher than 50k that’s already crazy number as is.
I got to thinking some about this, the fact that they have a Sport/Overland/Rubicon setup... obviously this isn't being built the way Marchionne had said almost 2 years ago (?) that it would be a lifestyle vehicle and not many made... if that were the case there would be ONE model, sort of like the Raptor. The fact that there is an "everyone" version, a "comfortable" version and a "hardcore" version suggests they will be competitive. Here's my prediction:

Gladiator Sport Unlimited (JTU) - $31k MSRP starting, with soft top and nothing else
Gladiator Overland Unlimited - $37k MSRP starting, includes hard top and lots of creature comforts
Gladiator Rubicon Unlimited (JTUR) - $43k MSRP starting, soft top and the standard Rubi add ons (including that front camera?)

They can then easily eek another 5-8k on top of any of those prices with add-ons.

I don't think they'll ever go 2 door or 2 door long bed, the emissions stuff just wants dealers to make vehicles that hold more people. I'm not sure they'll offer the diesel on anything but Rubicon... but that's wandering into really uncharted territory since it doesn't exist for JL yet either.

(I'm just writing this down today so I can compare to what they say in 2 days.)

eternus

First Name
Jody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Product Manager
Bet the diesel will be available in the Overland as well.
Yah, that would make sense if it's an Overlanding vehicle... I hope there are design decisions in that version that actually lend to Overlanding and it isn't just Sahara with a different name. I find myself leaning towards the Overland as I consider my uses, the feature sets and costs with the others. I honestly am most interested in the Rubicon for the 4:10 gears with the 3.6l. I don't see how a heavier truck with the same engine as my JKU can be better at towing while using the same 3.73 gear ratio as well. (I'm not sure I want a Diesel yet.)

whatevah

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.whatevah.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Mojave
Occupation
EMT
Yah, that would make sense if it's an Overlanding vehicle... I hope there are design decisions in that version that actually lend to Overlanding and it isn't just Sahara with a different name. I find myself leaning towards the Overland as I consider my uses, the feature sets and costs with the others. I honestly am most interested in the Rubicon for the 4:10 gears with the 3.6l. I don't see how a heavier truck with the same engine as my JKU can be better at towing while using the same 3.73 gear ratio as well. (I'm not sure I want a Diesel yet.)
Looking at a towing chart for the 2018 Ram pickups, the 3.6L 4x4 quad cab 6'4" bed can tow 7430lbs with 3.55 gears (3.0L diesel is 7690 with the same gears). Interesting, the payload is "only" 1700lbs for the 3.6L (1400 for the diesel). Interesting because the JT is supposed to have a max of 1600lb payload and a max tow of 7650lbs. I'm guessing the payload max is with the gas and tow max is with the diesel... gas tow rating perhaps in the 6500 range? Hoping they publish all of the specs at the show so we're not stuck conjecturing for another month or two.

2015er

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ram 1500 Laramie 4x4
I got to thinking some about this, the fact that they have a Sport/Overland/Rubicon setup... obviously this isn't being built the way Marchionne had said almost 2 years ago (?) that it would be a lifestyle vehicle and not many made... if that were the case there would be ONE model, sort of like the Raptor. The fact that there is an "everyone" version, a "comfortable" version and a "hardcore" version suggests they will be competitive. Here's my prediction:

Gladiator Sport Unlimited (JTU) - $31k MSRP starting, with soft top and nothing else
Gladiator Overland Unlimited - $37k MSRP starting, includes hard top and lots of creature comforts
Gladiator Rubicon Unlimited (JTUR) - $43k MSRP starting, soft top and the standard Rubi add ons (including that front camera?)

They can then easily eek another 5-8k on top of any of those prices with add-ons.

I don't think they'll ever go 2 door or 2 door long bed, the emissions stuff just wants dealers to make vehicles that hold more people. I'm not sure they'll offer the diesel on anything but Rubicon... but that's wandering into really uncharted territory since it doesn't exist for JL yet either.

(I'm just writing this down today so I can compare to what they say in 2 days.)
I disagree about the two doors or extended cabs - they'll need these to compete - for example the 2019 Ranger is coming out immediately with crew and extended cab variations right from the first year - Toyota, Chevy, GMC and Nissan also offer at least two cab configurations - even in the ZR-2 and the rumored Ranger Raptor. Investing all this effort and money in one single cab configuration would be stupid and not profitable.
Sponsored