Sponsored

2020 Jeep Gladiator Pricing: $33,545 (Sport), $40,395 (Overland), $43,545 (Rubicon) + Options Prices

Karnivoolfan

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Baja
Which is totally cool, but @ThirtyOne 's point is that the build should either have those items @$35k, or it should come in at a lower price. You are definitely entitled to your no-power choice, but you shouldn't be charged for amenities that aren't there, which is effectively what Jeep is doing.
Jeep won't do that. If enough people bitched about the price of the Sport they would just make those things standard rather than drop the price on the bare bones option.
Sponsored

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland EcoDiesel
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
$2,000 above Wrangler is exactly what I expected.

What I didn't realize is that they are selling a Sport version with crank windows and manual door locks. I assumed the "Sport S" Wrangler trim was the "Sport" Gladiator trim. So, that's why the base price came in lower than I expected.

Ichthus

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Gobi JTR, 20 Bikini Willys JLU, 18 GC Overland
Occupation
Pilot
Which is totally cool, but @ThirtyOne 's point is that the build should either have those items @$35k, or it should come in at a lower price. You are definitely entitled to your no-power choice, but you shouldn't be charged for amenities that aren't there, which is effectively what Jeep is doing.
His point then, is incorrect. Or rather, his assumption that Jeep is obligated to provide those options or lower the price. Nobody is paying for them and not receiving them. If someone wants power windows and locks and a premium top and whatever else, then they are welcome to pay the price for them. Some come with the S trim level, others in packages or standalone prices.

A Sport Wrangler in bass trim comes with essentially the same features as a Sport Gladiator, minus the bed, Dana 44 axles, higher tow capacity, etc.

Lou3.6

First Name
Lou
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep 2016 WK2 75th Anniversary edition
Occupation
retired Navy -- 1984 > 2004
Maybe not off the kicker, but as time rolls on through the model years, some options become standard and others available on lesser trim levels.
Wonder if I can remove the Base Uconnect head-unit and replace with one of the older JK flip-up CD player units -- gotta have a CD Player cause I got so many fine CD's that I can't listen to ! I regret not finding a G.C. with the CD player ! :headbang:
Is this reason enough to just get a Big Horn w/off road package ?

Ichthus

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Gobi JTR, 20 Bikini Willys JLU, 18 GC Overland
Occupation
Pilot
Wonder if I can remove the Base Uconnect head-unit and replace with one of the older JK flip-up CD player units -- gotta have a CD Player cause I got so many fine CD's that I can't listen to ! I regret not finding a G.C. with the CD player ! :headbang:
Better idea: load those cds onto your phone or an iPod and upgrade to the 7” with CarPlay and Android Audio

Sponsored

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2017 Chevy Tahoe, 2006 Jeep Liberty
His point then, is incorrect. Or rather, his assumption that Jeep is obligated to provide those options or lower the price. Nobody is paying for them and not receiving them. If someone wants power windows and locks and a premium top and whatever else, then they are welcome to pay the price for them. Some come with the S trim level, others in packages or standalone prices.

A Sport Wrangler in bass trim comes with essentially the same features as a Sport Gladiator, minus the bed, Dana 44 axles, higher tow capacity, etc.
I didn’t make any assumption that Jeep is obligated to do anything.

I just said when you compare the base package to any other truck the features are a joke and the price is much higher. If it’s what you want and what you want to pay then go for it. It’s just my opinion.

As far as the Wrangler i kind of feel the same way on the 4-door but there are 2 key differences. 1- it’s several thousand cheaper and 2- there is not direct competition to compare to.

Frankly if i wanted a spartan truck i would probably buy an older truck and build the off-road features. But then you don’t get convertible/doors off so it depends on priorities i guess.

propkillr

First Name
Howell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jk
Lou 3.6, My 2018 JK Willys radio has a CD player in it that you can down load your CD's to memory. It's great when you loose all radio stations or just want to listen to your own tunes!

Karnivoolfan

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Baja

Well people do sometimes pay for stuff that they don't get. That's part of the pricing spread. Conversely people pay for stuff that they don't want. That's all a part of packaging to maximize profit. Jeep knows what options are performing well and what isn't so they can roll the cost to make it perform better. That spread is probably what they will spend most of their time staring at over the coming years.

Yes I would have hoped for a cheaper price but considering the changes they have made. Of course it was going to be more expensive than the JLU. The fact that it is only $2k more expensive than the JLU Sport is reasonable. Yes $35k is expensive for a spartan truck.

The maxim is that Wranglers in general are expensive.

I'm not complaining. I'm happy to buy a union built truck and support union workers.

Karnivoolfan

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Baja
I didn’t make any assumption that Jeep is obligated to do anything.

I just said when you compare the base package to any other truck the features are a joke and the price is much higher. If it’s what you want and what you want to pay then go for it. It’s just my opinion.

As far as the Wrangler i kind of feel the same way on the 4-door but there are 2 key differences. 1- it’s several thousand cheaper and 2- there is not direct competition to compare to.

Frankly if i wanted a spartan truck i would probably buy an older truck and build the off-road features. But then you don’t get convertible/doors off so it depends on priorities i guess.
I want the doors to come off and top to come down otherwise I wouldn't be here. Unfortunately Jeep has the only game in town for a convertible pickup truck. I'm thankful in 2020 they even offer no-power features at all. You would think they would just force those power features on everyone.

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Jetta TDI RIP, 89' Civic SI, 2019 Pacifica Hybrid, 2020 GLADIATOR SPORT S "GLADYS"
Better idea: load those cds onto your phone or an iPod and upgrade to the 7” with CarPlay and Android Audio
Better idea. Load all those songs to a thumb drive and then you can keep your hands on the wheel. Afterall, Lou is getting up there in age, don't want him wreckin this late in the game. :CWL:

Sponsored

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Jetta TDI RIP, 89' Civic SI, 2019 Pacifica Hybrid, 2020 GLADIATOR SPORT S "GLADYS"
I want the doors to come off and top to come down otherwise I wouldn't be here. Unfortunately Jeep has the only game in town for a convertible pickup truck. I'm thankful in 2020 they even offer no-power features at all. You would think they would just force those power features on everyone.
I'm surprised they do this too. Wouldn't it be more efficient in production to have one door lock, one window regulator?

Karnivoolfan

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Baja
I'm surprised they do this too. Wouldn't it be more efficient in production to have one door lock, one window regulator?
Probably not at all to be honest considering Jeep has always offered a mechanical lock system so I bet they have come from the same place for years at a reduced cost.

Because they come from the same place they are all related in relation to the layout so the workers there could probably install it with their damn eyes closed.

Lastly, Jeep knows their base so while they are definitely going mainstream they're doing things to try to keep the Jeep weirdos happy like mechanical locks and windows. People underestimate how many of Jeep's customers are weirdos who want a spartan vehicle.

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Probably not at all to be honest considering Jeep has always offered a mechanical lock system so I bet they have come from the same place for years at a reduced cost.

Because they come from the same place they are all related in relation to the layout so the workers there could probably install it with their damn eyes closed.

Lastly, Jeep knows their base so while they are definitely going mainstream they're doing things to try to keep the Jeep weirdos happy like mechanical locks and windows. People underestimate how many of Jeep's customers are weirdos who want a spartan vehicle.
7 most expensive words in business "it's the way we've always done it."