Sponsored

2020 Jeep Gladiator Specifications Sheet & Feature Availability

DMoney

First Name
Dillon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1999 Mitsubishi Montero Sport w/ 1.5 inch lift.
Occupation
Freight-liner Diesel Technician
The bed is only 7 inches shorter than Ram crew cab.
The 5.7 ft bed is still small. It is a lifestyle truck not a work truck. Even when using a 6.4ft bed I feel it almost isn't quite big enough just doing things like fishing, camping or hunting.
But jeep had offroading in mind more than bed utility.
But like @2015er said it would be nice if they offered a bigger bed, it would be handy even when just fishing, I could throw my poles back there for short drives between fishing spots, couldn't do that in a 5ft bed, can do that in a 6ft bed as long as I put them in diagonally.
Sponsored

Homer

First Name
Geral Hasten
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon, 2019Chevy ZR2 diesel
Probably comes standard with the trailer sway controller or some other feature that enhances the towing, that is only an option on the Sport. If I had to guess.

4:10 gears maybe. Like a Rubicon.

IWantAJeepGladiator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport S
Question and a comment. Does anyone know why the manual sport/sport s has the highest payload? And 4500 lbs towing capacity I think is garbage for the 3.73 axle ratio with auto trans :/.

homerun

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1996 XJ, 2004 Ford Ranger, 2013 Subaru Impreza, 1996 HD Springer Softtail, past jeep 1995 YJ
Question and a comment. Does anyone know why the manual sport/sport s has the highest payload? And 4500 lbs towing capacity I think is garbage for the 3.73 axle ratio with auto trans :/.
The m/t has a higher payload because the tranny it self is lighter than the 8 speed.

Sponsored

2015er

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ram 1500 Laramie 4x4
I think the bed is perfect. Jeep is considering the Jeeper life, outdoor folks. Bed is perfect for bikes, dirt bikes or camping gear.
Lots of lifestylers require more than a 60 inches in a bed to accommodate their needs

lrtexasman

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tahoe
Lots of lifestylers require more than a 60 inches in a bed to accommodate their needs
yes but adding another six to twelve inches would have increased the length to 224" or 230". Too much break over either way. Jeep was building a crew cab with a 5' bed period. Folks can buy it or not.

2015er

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
yes but adding another six to twelve inches would have increased the length to 224" or 230". Too much break over either way. Jeep was building a crew cab with a 5' bed period. Folks can buy it or not.
It doesn't have to be an add on. Offer an extended cab truck with a longer bed and there would no change to overall length of the truck. Basically exchange cab space for bed space.

lrtexasman

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tahoe
It doesn't have to be an add on. Offer an extended cab truck with a longer bed and there would no change to overall length of the truck. Basically exchange cab space for bed space.
Yes, they would have to add it on as the head of the Gladiator design team and their head of marketing have both said they are not making an extended or regular cab. That comment was something along the lines of " We are only making a crew cab with a five foot bed period. People will ask for an extended or regular cab but they won't buy it." It is very obvious FCA has no issue losing sales of extended or regular cab mid-size trucks with a longer bed to Ford, GM, and Toyota.

I am sure the fact a Ranger XLT extended cab 4x4 with a 6' bed and FX4 Package has an MSRP 35,000. The Gladiator Sport S (comparable trim) with Auto is likely to be close to 42k. I m sure FCA likely said they don't want to compete at that price point for a truck with a limited market.

Jeep_VB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 LE Gladiator, 22 Grand Wagoneer S1
I hope for your sake you get one but it would take a lot, they would have to redesign a new extended cab because they don't have one currently, because of this it would take additional resources, plus you are talking new safety testing, and where are the going to make the extended cab? They may be able to make up the cost by selling enough of them and making it profitable, but my guess is they would rather devote time to other vehicles in the fleet or new vehicle they are bringing.

Sponsored

5JeepsAz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1964 Kaiser-Willys Jeep Gladiator (SJ) 2dr long bed pickup truck
Build Thread
Link
Note to self and 2015er:

Maybe I should ask someone on the forum how much shorter the two door wrangler is compared to the four door?

Jeep put the 4 door wrangler cab on the gladiator frame.

Jeep therefore can put the two door Wrangler cab on the gladiator frame.

Huh. I wonder what they could do with the extra inches?

I know! I know! They could lengthen the bed!!

Troybilt

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
troynemitz.smugmug.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
Occupation
Parks Operations
I want a 2 door in the worst way.

I don't want to make 10,000 post about it on this forum. I don't want to bring it up in every thread. I want to go on with my life realizing it is not going to happen any time soon.

Give it a rest for 5 years and try again:computerrage:

5JeepsAz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1964 Kaiser-Willys Jeep Gladiator (SJ) 2dr long bed pickup truck
Build Thread
Link
I want a 2 door in the worst way.

I don't want to make 10,000 post about it on this forum. I don't want to bring it up in every thread. I want to go on with my life realizing it is not going to happen any time soon.

Give it a rest for 5 years and try again:computerrage:
Good call. Until we get a price or more solid info to riff off I'm sure to be raising hell for no reason. I'll leave it be

Wilk

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Dakota
Note to self and 2015er:

Maybe I should ask someone on the forum how much shorter the two door wrangler is compared to the four door?

Jeep put the 4 door wrangler cab on the gladiator frame.

Jeep therefore can put the two door Wrangler cab on the gladiator frame.

Huh. I wonder what they could do with the extra inches?

I know! I know! They could lengthen the bed!!

Someone needs to poi t out that the whole, "they put a JLU body on the Gladiator frame" is incorrect. They did not in fact put the JLU body on the Gladiator fre, they put what amounts to a modified JLU body on the Gladiator frame. The Gladiator cab is a chopped version of the JLU body. The fact people keep saying it is that simple is ridiculous. At least be accurate when minimizing the ount of work that goes into designing a new vehicle.

That being said, putting a JL body on the Gladiator frame would get an extended cab without too much modification but you would end up with a truck that you have to climb in behind the front seat to get in the back. If you wanted half doors then there is a new cab development required for that and then they need a supplier to build their longer boxes and extended cabs.

As for the straight 2 door idea, that adds both a new supplier or having suppliers develop new lines to produce the Gladiator reg-cab and the Gladiator long box.

I think it would be great if they offered those setups though I have no interest in owning one myself. The problem becomes the added cost for FCA to add additional assembly lines to take on the new models, the cost for the suppliers to put together new assembly lines for the different boxes and cabs and if we want a reg cab Short box then a new frame and complete redevelopment of the entire vehicle, minus the doors forward basically.

It would be awesome to see these made but please, stop trying to minimize the amount of work that goes into designing and developing these. It's not as simple as slap a different body on and weld some more metal to that box.

2015er

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I hope for your sake you get one but it would take a lot, they would have to redesign a new extended cab because they don't have one currently, because of this it would take additional resources, plus you are talking new safety testing, and where are the going to make the extended cab? They may be able to make up the cost by selling enough of them and making it profitable, but my guess is they would rather devote time to other vehicles in the fleet or new vehicle they are bringing.
I understand your point but recent events suggest the availability of extended cab version could very well happen. I cite for you the 2019 Ram Rebel - when initially produced it came only in a crew cab. But Ram in planning the formats for their 2019 major redesign now makes available a quad cab Rebel. Same principal applies here - redistribute the space gained from a shorter cab to providing more space in the bed.
Sponsored