Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Admin
For the 2021 Gladiator EcoDiesel ordering guide see: 2021 Jeep Gladiator (JT) ORDER GUIDE!! [Updated Monthly]

Official press release:

New 2021 Jeep® Gladiator EcoDiesel: Ultimate Capability and Driving Range, With 442 lb.-ft. of Torque for Improved Performance
  • Unmatched off-road capability with 442 lb.-ft. of torque
  • 3.0-liter EcoDiesel V-6 engine available with Jeep® Gladiator Sport, Overland and Rubicon models
  • Diesel-powered Gladiator offered for the first time in response to overwhelming consumer demand
  • Gladiator EcoDiesel open for customer orders now; arriving in Jeep showrooms in third quarter
July 10, 2020 , Auburn Hills, Mich. - The 2021 Jeep® Gladiator – the most capable midsize truck ever – offers the most torque and best driving range with the introduction of the 3.0-liter EcoDiesel V-6 engine. The expected fuel economy ratings will deliver the highest driving range on one tank of fuel ever for Gladiator.

“Before we introduced Gladiator, one of the most common questions consumers asked us was, ‘Will you please offer a Jeep truck?,’ followed closely by, ‘Will it be offered with a diesel engine?’ While we know the answer to the first question, I’m pleased to answer the second with a resounding, ‘Yes!’,” said Jim Morrison, Head of Jeep Brand – North America. “Gladiator’s combination of unmatched off-road capability and the vehicle’s fun-to-drive on-road performance, best-ever Gladiator fuel economy and incredible driving range underwrite the fact that our customers knew exactly what they were asking for.”

The new 3.0-liter EcoDiesel V-6 engine, rated at 260 horsepower and 442 lb.-ft. of torque, with engine stop-start (ESS) technology standard, is available on Gladiator Sport, Overland and Rubicon models. To handle greater torque loads, the EcoDiesel V-6 connects to a newly added TorqueFlite 8HP75 eight-speed automatic transmission, calibrated for low RPM shifts and the on- and off-road rigors of Jeep Gladiator duty. There are more than 40 individual shift maps to optimize shift points for fuel economy, performance and 4x4 capability.

Jeep Gladiator EcoDiesel Sport, Overland, and Rubicon models feature third-generation Dana 44 front and rear heavy-duty axles. Additionally, all Gladiator EcoDiesel models feature a 3.73 axle ratio. The Rock-Trac two-speed transfer case with a 4.0:1 low-range gear ratio is standard on Rubicon models and the Command-Trac part-time two-speed transfer case with a 2.72:1 low-range gear ratio on Sport and Overland models.

The 2021 Jeep Gladiator EcoDiesel goes on sale in the third quarter of 2020 and customers can order now [see ordering guide at: 2021 Jeep Gladiator (JT) ORDER GUIDE!! (Updated Monthly)].

Jeep Gladiator 2021 Jeep Gladiator EcoDiesel Officially Announced 2021 Jeep Gladiator EcoDiesel Engine Underhood Mojave
Sponsored

Last edited:

GladiSD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Mojave, 08 S2000 CR, 08 S2000, 22 392 XR Order
Build Thread
Link

Sponsored

wvyankee2

First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JT Rubicon
Occupation
Refinery Operator
Vehicle Showcase
" When we tested the diesel option in the Wrangler, we found it to be a great option if you’re taking the SUV off-road—and given the way we've enjoyed the Gladiator, we expect the EcoDiesel to make this pickup that much better. Customers won’t have to wait long for it: it goes sale in the third quarter of this year and can preordered now. "

" Diesel Rule 3: Don't buy diesels for low mileage or inner city life. Also known as “diesel car city driving”, you want to avoid doing this. It's well known by petrolheads, but always worth explaining why. Driving at low speeds and short distances clogs up your Diesel Particulate Filter (DPF) quickly. "

Wonder how they have solved this issue?

rvillano8188

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Punk'n JT Rubi, 2018 VW Tiguan SEL
Occupation
Financial Services
interesting that they stuck with 3.73 throughout all the models.

mr_bots

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland
Based on the class action lawsuit of the older versions of the EcoDiesel shittting themselves I'd hold off a few years to see if the 2018+ models got those bugs worked out.

Flmthwr65

First Name
Norm
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator rubicon
Still have 2 years on my lease should have plenty of feedback by then. Better mileage sound good though. If anyone bought the quake LED tail lights and is having problems with blind spot sensors like me contact their customer service they are on the problem.

Sponsored

anavrinIV

First Name
Chaz
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Mazdaspeed3, 1956 F100
Occupation
Engineer
Still have 2 years on my lease should have plenty of feedback by then. Better mileage sound good though. If anyone bought the quake LED tail lights and is having problems with blind spot sensors like me contact their customer service they are on the problem.
A few MPG boost at the expense of higher fuel costs and substantially higher purchase cost.

Dovi82

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JT Sport S (STOCK) 2014 Jeep JK (NOT STOCK)
Occupation
Wouldn't you like to know.
My buddy has the JL diesel and likes it. I have the 3.6 in my JK and JT. I took the JK engine apart to change the head gaskets so I am sticking with the 3.6 because I am familiar with it and when it craps the bed it can try to rebuild it or just buy a crate mote for $3,000 or less.

lrtexasman

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tahoe
Actually drove the JL eco and a JT Mojave back to back this afternoon. The torque and planted feeling on the JL eco is outstanding and a completely different driving experience than the Mojave. The Mojave felt like the desert runner it is designed to be. Lots of travel in the suspension and power at higher RPMs. After driving both there is absolutely no way I would buy a JT with anything other than the ecodiesel. My JT test drives have all left me a little deflated at the lack of torque. Can’t wait for the eco in the JT.

WMWHV

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon EcoDiesel, 1947 Willys CJ2A
Build Thread
Link
I ordered mine last week. I am more or less expecting it to take two months. This release says third quarter, so I should have it by the end of September in any event.
Sponsored