Sponsored

Deleted member 30519

Every time at work when my regen light comes on my ELdorado nationals and then my bus shuts down and needs a tow..... Yeah no 3.0 for me

Sponsored

lrtexasman

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tahoe
Per TFL
It’s Official! 2021 Jeep Gladiator EcoDiesel Is Coming Soon: It Will Tow Up To 6,000 Lbs (News)
Other specs and final pricing will be announced soon.
By
Nathan Adlen
-
July 10, 2020
2021-jeep-gladiator-rubicon-diesel-thumb.jpg
The 2021 Jeep Gladiator EcoDiesel is here – sort of.
The 2021 Jeep Gladiator EcoDiesel will go on sale in the third quarter of 2020. We are in Q3 of 2020 now! You can go online and then contact your dealer to order yours right now. While Jeep did release a lot of information on the technical aspects of the vehicle, pricing, EPA numbers, and hauling numbers are unavailable.
The Jeep Gladiator EcoDiesel is rated at 6,000-lb maximum towing.
Like the Jeep Wrangler with the EcoDiesel power-train, this 3.0-liter EcoDiesel V6 makes 260 horsepower and 442 lb-ft of torque. It also has engine stop-start (ESS) technology. The TorqueFlite 8HP75 eight-speed automatic is standard.
gladiator-ecodiesel2-1024x768.jpg
We caught the Jeep Gladiator EcoDiesel testing a while ago. (Image: TFLtruck)
If you get the 2021 Jeep Gladiator EcoDiesel Sport, Overland, or Rubicon, you get third-generation Dana 44 front and rear axles. All of the other Jeep Gladiator EcoDiesel models feature a 3.73 axle ratio. A “Rock-Trac” two-speed transfer case with a 4.0:1 low-range gear ratio is standard on Rubicon Gladiators. The “Command-Trac” part-time two-speed transfer case with a 2.72:1 low-range gear ratio is standard on Sport and Overland Gladiators.
jeep-gladiator-ecodiesel-ogi-1024x576.jpg
Quoting Jeep:
“Before we introduced Gladiator, one of the most common questions consumers asked us was, ‘Will you please offer a Jeep truck?,’ followed closely by, ‘Will it be offered with a diesel engine?’ While we know the answer to the first question, I’m pleased to answer the second with a resounding, ‘Yes!’,” said Jim Morrison, Head of Jeep Brand – North America. “Gladiator’s combination of unmatched off-road capability and the vehicle’s fun-to-drive on-road performance, best-ever Gladiator fuel economy and incredible driving range underwrite the fact that our customers knew exactly what they were asking for.”
While the max towing from the EcoDiesel (6,000 lbs) does not match the maximum available in a gas V6, Gladiator (7,650 lbs), consider that the diesel engine is much heavier than the gas engine. That, along with a power-train built partially for efficiency, the towing numbers make sense.
gladiator-ecodiesel1-1024x576.jpg
Here’s more about the EcoDiesel from Jeep:
  • A new-generation water-cooled turbocharger with variable geometry turbine (VGT) and low-friction bearing increases efficiency and responsiveness during transient conditions
  • Redesigned cylinder head intake ports with higher flow capability improve swirl and flow, increasing performance and fuel economy
  • Exhaust gas re-circulation (EGR) system design is updated to a dual loop (low and high pressure) system. The added low-pressure circulation system draws gases after the diesel particulate filter, thus minimizing turbocharger energy losses, which increases fuel economy
  • Noise and vibration harshness (NVH) has improved by offsetting the piston pin 0.3 millimeters from the centerline
  • The lower portion of the two-piece oil sump uses a lightweight sandwiched polymer/metal material, which further reduces NVH
The idea of a more efficient Jeep Gladiatorthat has gobs of torque makes the team at TFL Studios extremely excited. We will keep a close eye on future details about the 2021 Jeep Gladiator EcoDiesel and pass that info on to you ASAP!
Let’s see how the diesel Wrangler performs next to a Pentastar Gladiator.

MrKnowitall

First Name
Guenther
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
14 JKU-R
The lower towing numbers must be a cooling constraint- with EGR and CAC thermal loads, it probably just can’t maintain required power and stay cool like the Pentastar can without them.
Its safe to assume it will be a $4000 option with a $2000 AT requirement. With that much torque though, potential regear costs are truly gone though, so you can keep that money ($2k).

lrtexasman

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tahoe
The lower towing numbers must be a cooling constraint- with EGR and CAC thermal loads, it probably just can’t maintain required power and stay cool like the Pentastar can without them.
Its safe to assume it will be a $4000 option with a $2000 AT requirement. With that much torque though, potential regear costs are truly gone though, so you can keep that money ($2k).
Yea per the order guide invoice cost is extra $3600 if already getting the auto transmission. Plus you get the anti spin Differential rear axle included ($536). So if you buy 6% under invoice that knocks it down another $216 to $3384 and $2848 if you were getting auto and anti-spin rear anyway. I plan to build out a Sport S with Popular Equipment and safety packages. Should run me around 42k less my other discounts. I wanted to be in that range of competing with the silverado RST diesel 4x4. I tow a 18’ skiff and really need the torque even though total weight is less than 3500 lbs. it’s enough to make any NA V6 turn higher RPMs at highway speeds.

rvillano8188

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Punk'n JT Rubi, 2018 VW Tiguan SEL
Occupation
Financial Services
Actually drove the JL eco and a JT Mojave back to back this afternoon. The torque and planted feeling on the JL eco is outstanding and a completely different driving experience than the Mojave. The Mojave felt like the desert runner it is designed to be. Lots of travel in the suspension and power at higher RPMs. After driving both there is absolutely no way I would buy a JT with anything other than the ecodiesel. My JT test drives have all left me a little deflated at the lack of torque. Can’t wait for the eco in the JT.
For me, there's some concern over the tow capacity and the fact that it's so expensive to add at 5k. I can add a SC and keep my tow capacity for the same price so while I get the whole torque ideal, it’s just not the diesel you should all want. Hard pass

TheSolarWizard

First Name
Memphis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
3.0 JT
Occupation
Solar & EV infrastructure
For me, there's some concern over the tow capacity and the fact that it's so expensive to add at 5k. I can add a SC and keep my tow capacity for the same price so while I get the whole torque ideal, it’s just not the diesel you should all want. Hard pass

If you’re getting an auto anyway it’s about $3800 retail

Sponsored

lrtexasman

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tahoe
good option for some but I’d rather keep the warranty. Also how well it tows vrs how much it can tow. I’d rather tow under 5k easily than run 4500 RPMs trying to pull 5k up a small incline. The diesel Powertrain warranty shows to be 5 years 100k on the wrangler, so assuming same on JT.

rvillano8188

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Financial Services
good option for some but I’d rather keep the warranty. Also how well it tows vrs how much it can tow. I’d rather tow under 5k easily than run 4500 RPMs trying to pull 5k up a small incline. The diesel Powertrain warranty shows to be 5 years 100k on the wrangler, so assuming same on JT.
just seems like they shoved a half baked diesel down everyone’s throats when they could’ve given people a really great option for power. Everyone should just wait for the inevitable Hemis.

It might be 3800 at invoice, but add the higher cost of fuel, and I just don’t see the value. It’s costs 50% more to buy diesel fuel for 25% more mileage.

ecodiesels Just don’t do what everyone wants it to, as evidenced by the fraudulent emissions numbers leading to lawsuits, shit software updates, and pedal lag/mpg losses.
I just think there’s better ways to earn torque.

lrtexasman

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tahoe
just seems like they shoved a half baked diesel down everyone’s throats when they could’ve given people a really great option for power. Everyone should just wait for the inevitable Hemis.

It might be 3800 at invoice, but add the higher cost of fuel, and I just don’t see the value. It’s costs 50% more to buy diesel fuel for 25% more mileage.

ecodiesels Just don’t do what everyone wants it to, as evidenced by the fraudulent emissions numbers leading to lawsuits, shit software updates, and pedal lag/mpg losses.
I just think there’s better ways to earn torque.
Most agree the diesel choice is not based on cost savings. I personally have no interest in the 3.6. I rode in a friends while towing a trailer loaded with a four wheeler and 1000lbs of feed and the engine revving really got annoying. My fuel comparison is a little different than yours, as the fuel price difference seems to be regional. In Texas there is a .20 per gallon difference per AAA ($1.89 vrs $2.10). So if I can average 21 instead 16 (per fuelly users) I’d be getting 20% better fuel economy for 10% increase in price. Plus the TFL guys hit 30 MPG highway with the diesel Wrangler and it spanked the JT in the 1/4 mile. Def is very cheap here and I’ll likely do my own oil and fuel filter changes to negate that cost as well.

rvillano8188

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Financial Services
Most agree the diesel choice is not based on cost savings. I personally have no interest in the 3.6. I rode in a friends while towing a trailer loaded with a four wheeler and 1000lbs of feed and the engine revving really got annoying. My fuel comparison is a little different than yours, as the fuel price difference seems to be regional. In Texas there is a .20 per gallon difference per AAA ($1.89 vrs $2.10). So if I can average 21 instead 16 (per fuelly users) I’d be getting 20% better fuel economy for 10% increase in price. Plus the TFL guys hit 30 MPG highway with the diesel Wrangler and it spanked the JT in the 1/4 mile. Def is very cheap here and I’ll likely do my own oil and fuel filter changes to negate that cost as well.
amazing how different the cost comparison is regionally.

DaveNH

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hyundai Sonata
Yup. From last year:

https://jalopnik.com/the-engineering-behind-the-jeep-gladiators-tow-rating-1833657453

Tl:dr

Charge air cooler restricts air flow.
Sponsored