Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Higher Ed
I have an iPhone 12 mini.
You sir are a man of taste and culture!

I'll update... maybe iPhone 15 or so, assuming there's still a mini option.
No mini after 13 :(

I don’t think Stellantis has much else to work with. The 3.6 and 3.0 are already over from the 1500 Ram. The 5.7 could work and we know it fits since the 392 does. The 2.0 in the Wrangler is nice but for a midsize truck needs to make more power if they want to keep the towing capacity. A 4XE would be nice and thats what I’m waiting for.
There's also some question as to whether Stellantis is spending any more cash on IC engine development at all - several automakers have gone on record and said they aren't. They're electrifying pretty rapidly and on the ICE side there hasn't been much new introduced the past few years.
Sponsored

Garemlin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Nacho Willys Gladiator
They really need to update the engine options. The pentastar is a great motor for a base charger, but not a $60k+ truck.
I would absolutely love a twin turbo V-6. Something similar to Ford's 2.7 EB. Plenty of torque, great towing capacity and decent mileage. I've been saying for years this is the type of engine Jeep needs.

Minty JL

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 XC90 - 23 JTM - 19 JLUR - 04 355 ZQ8
Occupation
USA(R), DoD Field Ops Engineer
I think a factory supercharged 3.0 V6 would work

RavensEyeOffroad

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Mojave
Build Thread
Link
I think a factory supercharged 3.0 V6 would work
Was talking with a guy the other day with a twin turbo v6 f150. He said the mileage was awesome, the power was awesome and he loved it. He said he popped the hood and was surprised how small the engine was. I just keep thinking, we dont need a heck of alot more power but we do need some more.
I think the 6.2 is just overkill the 5.7 would be fine. Turbo V6, 5.7 and the diesel.

Sponsored

Minty JL

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Was talking with a guy the other day with a twin turbo v6 f150. He said the mileage was awesome, the power was awesome and he loved it. He said he popped the hood and was surprised how small the engine was. I just keep thinking, we dont need a heck of alot more power but we do need some more.
I think the 6.2 is just overkill the 5.7 would be fine. Turbo V6, 5.7 and the diesel.
More torque......400ftlbs and I would be happy.

260 ftlbs(crank) is not enough

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland EcoDiesel
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
Well it's apparent the first part of 2022 will bring Minimal changes 🙄
Any thoughts around what Jeep may add this coming Spring/Summer?

I'm hoping for at Least a return to 10 available colors.
I think considering the current situation in the marketplace and the predictions the "experts" are giving about the future, Jeep is probably just hoping that by fall of 2022 they will be able to do the 2023 year changes.

I wouldn't expect anything to change with the Gladiator over the next 9 months, except for maybe a new color. One more color in spring would be easy to do and get a small amount of "pop" for the vehicle to keep it going.

UM_Ftown

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XJ
More torque......400ftlbs and I would be happy.

260 ftlbs(crank) is not enough
The 2.7 L turbo going in the next GM midsize twins will be rated at 310 /420 and be fuel efficient too. Seems like a perfect midsize truck motor. HP of a gasser and torque of a diesel.

I wonder if Jeep could make the 2.0 bigger displacement.

OP
OP
Oilburner

Oilburner

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1982 Scrambler, 1969 Wagoneer, 2022 JTR Ecodiesel
I wouldn't expect anything to change with the Gladiator over the next 9 months, except for maybe a new color. One more color in spring would be easy to do and get a small amount of "pop" for the vehicle to keep it going.
If they just add a color (as opposed to pulling some & replacing them) I will be in a tough spot for sure. If they only add a color, it likely will be a bold color like Plumb Crazy or such-
For reference:
Jeep Gladiator 2022.5 Rumors? 1634575421775

Sponsored

MOPAR Boy

First Name
Mopy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTRD
1-Cummins high output supercharged I-4 diesel in Gladiator, bypass muffler, on-the-fly, via a driver switch, and a ‘roll coal’ switch
2-U5
3-Tesla Model Y powertrain in JL and Gladiator
4-Purchase all production rights (from MB) for G wagon, rebadge as JL Max, fit with Mercedes 4.0 L diesel, or pure electric, buyer’s choice

Minty JL

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
The 2.7 L turbo going in the next GM midsize twins will be rated at 310 /420 and be fuel efficient too. Seems like a perfect midsize truck motor. HP of a gasser and torque of a diesel.

I wonder if Jeep could make the 2.0 bigger displacement.
Yeah I'm mainly a GM guy.

I love the 2.0T in my JLUR, plenty of power on 35's. Maybe a 2.5L with a slightly larger turbo

Minty JL

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
1-Cummins high output supercharged I-4 diesel in Gladiator, bypass muffler, on-the-fly, via a driver switch, and a ‘roll coal’ switch
2-U5
3-Tesla Model Y powertrain in JL and Gladiator
4-Purchase all production rights (from MB) for G wagon, rebadge as JL Max, fit with Mercedes 4.0 L diesel, or pure electric, buyer’s choice
You forgot the LS Swap in there

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland EcoDiesel
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
The problem with tiny turbo motors is they give people false hope of fuel economy. I mean, just look at the lawsuits Ford has had to contend with over their "EcoBoost" engines that in reality drink fuel like they're sponsored by OPEC.

It takes X amount of fuel to generate Y amount of power. How you get to those figures makes no difference. That's why a 7.3L V8 in a F-250 gets the same fuel economy while towing that the 3.5L V6TT in a F-150 gets.

Going small and turbo to save fuel is a losing proposition.

Another example is the Wrangler. The 2.0T engine and the 3.6L engine get virtually identical MPG when you look at hundreds of thousands of miles of hand calculated owners' data on Fuelly.

Why trade something simple and dependable for something overly complicated and expensive to maintain long term if there is no benefit? That's why I'm generally not a fan of small gasoline turbo engines.