Sponsored

2022 Rumors?

UM_Ftown

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XJ
How do you stuff a V8 into a Gladiator and keep it cool? I don't see it ever happening.

How do you stuff the 4xe hardware in and maintain GVWR? I don't see it happening for 2022.

Same powertrains coming for 2022, and only a couple of new colors. Maybe a new trim package with already existing content. That's it. It's really starting to look like the insiders were correct, 2023 is the mid-cycle refresh.
Not sure if I agree. Reason being is if nothing is changing besides colors then what’s the point in dragging out the model year longer and the delay in new model information?

They could easily come out and said so already and be building or at a minimum have order banks open for 2022.
Sponsored

Challenger85

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21’ Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Electrical
You would absolutely get the torque without plugging in.

Google hybrid regenerative braking. Every time you lift off the gas in a hybrid, you are charging the battery.

Because we can't accelerate hard on the street for long, plenty of energy from regernative braking is provided for electric assistance. Even without charging.

By the way, I agree not charging it would be foolish. What I'm trying to explain is that even if you don't want to or can't plug it in. You still get big benefits.

Though initially introduced with tiny engines and tiny vehicles, hybrids are a way for manufacturers to give us big power and still meet federally mandated fleet fuel economy standards.

People wonder why Jeep priced the 392 so high. Its ridiculous. Well, the sad reality is that if they sold a lot of them, they would be in trouble with their Corporate Average Fuel Economy (CAFE) numbers. Its a weighted average. So the more 392s they sell the more it drags down their corporate average.

By pricing it high, they make money on low volumes.
Lol okay. Let me know how driving a hybrid on regenerative braking goes for you. Stupid manufactures including that unnecessary over priced charger!

bleda2002

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR Firecracker Red
Lol okay. Let me know how driving a hybrid on regenerative braking goes for you. Stupid manufactures including that unnecessary over priced charger!
Its called a prius and despite my hate for it, it works.

In the jeep you can even use the engine itself's excess energy to charge the battery using eSave if you are on the highway for example since the engine will be generating excess charge.

Sure charging it over night maximizes your savings, but if you just want to use it as a v8 you can probably never actually plug it in and still get the extra torque.

I also agree though, I highly doubt we're going to see any major changes for 22 with such a late release. This year is all about the wagoneer/grand wagoneer like last year was about the 4xe. I expect 2022 to be new colors, uconnect 5, and the xtreme recon package.

869 KPH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 JTR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Hot Dog Vendor
I expect 2022 to be new colors, uconnect 5, and the xtreme recon package.
Honestly this would make me happy enough. It just does seem awful dumb to wait this long if that's all there is to it. They reacted to the Bronco with the 392 so fast it was nuts; it would be really nice to fantasize that it got their rear in gear on bigger updates too. I think the interior is great as-is, no need for an overhaul like they did for the JK- they just need to add some features, tweaks, and upgrades.

Edited to add: But no quirks! You stay outta here, Doug.

Last edited:

o||4xe||o

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022(?) Gladiator Rubicon 4xe
I’m in the same timeline. I didn’t realize the control number was going to expire that fast. But from what I recall the tread lightly membership awards 2 control numbers. So I won’t request my new number until my new build is underway… if they ever get around to building the 22s.
Hoping I'm not wrong here... Tread Lightly is a 12 month subsription. Affiliate Rewards allows 2 control numbers each calendar year. So, my July membership to TL should yield two AR control numbers in second half of 2021, and two AR control numbers in first half of 2022. Anyone have information to the contrary?

Kent

Sponsored

dcmdon

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You clearly don't understand how hybrids work.

There are plenty of NON-plug in hybrids. And they collect energy through braking and coasting to provide extra power for acceleration. No plug provided. Anywhere.

This is precisely how a 4xe will work if you don't ever plug it in. Just drive it. The system will limit the duration of the extra boost if battery charge doesn't allow it. But in practical use, this is rare because you back off the throttle and coast or brake more often than you realize.

That pesky charger does get you benefits. A longer range in electric electric only mode, and more battery energy that can be used for prolonged acceleration. But it doesn't change the fact that they work just fine without being recharged.

But don't feel bad. It seems most people have trouble with understanding plug in hybrids.

https://www.greencarreports.com/new...id-problem-buyers-dont-understand-them-at-all

Jglad15

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon
Honestly this would make me happy enough. It just does seem awful dumb to wait this long if that's all there is to it. They reacted to the Bronco with the 392 so fast it was nuts; it would be really nice to fantasize that it got their rear in gear on bigger updates too. I think the interior is great as-is, no need for an overhaul like they did for the JK- they just need to add some features, tweaks, and upgrades.

Edited to add: But no quirks! You stay outta here, Doug.
Yeah I just don’t see them doing a mid cycle refresh yet either. If they do I don’t think it would be anything drastic. Typically it’ll be a couple more years before a refresh I would think too. First major refresh on the jk was what 2011 or 12 with changing the powertrain. Exterior nothing changed at all. And even if Jeep did do a new powertrain next year IF!!!, I’m personally not trying a new engine until it’s been out a few years. I’m completely fine sticking with the pentastar. I don’t see them doing an overhaul like @869 KPH said. I also would be perfectly fine with uconnect 5, and new colors.

OP
OP
WXman

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland EcoDiesel
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
Not sure if I agree. Reason being is if nothing is changing besides colors then what’s the point in dragging out the model year longer and the delay in new model information?

They could easily come out and said so already and be building or at a minimum have order banks open for 2022.
That's easy. It's been a rough year. Sourcing materials has been a nightmare across all industries. Easy to see why they'd drag out the current model year.

Also, insiders have been saying for a long while that 2023 is the mid-cycle refresh year. So why do new stuff now? They wouldn't do that.

Clv22p

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mojave
The 2020 model was about a year and a half long also.

869 KPH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 JTR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Hot Dog Vendor
That's easy. It's been a rough year. Sourcing materials has been a nightmare across all industries. Easy to see why they'd drag out the current model year.

Also, insiders have been saying for a long while that 2023 is the mid-cycle refresh year. So why do new stuff now? They wouldn't do that.
The 2020 model was about a year and a half long also.
lol neither of you are technically wrong, but I still hope that you are. As for MY2020 we all know why that was, right? I would think the JL cycle is a better indicator.

In other news, spotted a Dune today so I'm calling it a sign.
Jeep Gladiator 2022 Rumors? 1629900683845

Sponsored

spectre6000

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
pending
https://www.jeep.com/bmo.gladiator.2022.html#/models/2022/gladiator

This isn't news or anything, but in the past if you manually changed the url to 2022 in the right places, it would revert back to 2021. Now it has a holding/error page. If you have a third world internet connection (I'm less than 1 mbps), it'll briefly show a faded 2021 builder before resolving to the Seems there's likely someone behind the scenes at least working on it.

Meanwhile, the NY Auto Show time slot has had precisely zero information on any Jeep product released that I can find. I think this is a dud. The timing seemed to line up like you'd expect, but sign of the times I guess... We might be looking another month down the line at Texas before we actually see anything...

shrinkhead

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Launch Edition
How do you stuff a V8 into a Gladiator and keep it cool? I don't see it ever happening.

How do you stuff the 4xe hardware in and maintain GVWR? I don't see it happening for 2022.

Same powertrains coming for 2022, and only a couple of new colors. Maybe a new trim package with already existing content. That's it. It's really starting to look like the insiders were correct, 2023 is the mid-cycle refresh.
same way you keep it cool in the 392 wrangler ? I haven’t had any heat issues with the 6.4L in my JT and that included wheeling for hours in 90s and high humidity. the heat coming from the engine bay is something though ha ha. Glad my heat extractors are actually functional now.

spectre6000

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
pending
same way you keep it cool in the 392 wrangler ? I haven’t had any heat issues with the 6.4L in my JT and that included wheeling for hours in 90s and high humidity. the heat coming from the engine bay is something though ha ha. Glad my heat extractors are actually functional now.
The Wranglers don't have to pass the towing tests the Gladiator does. Bring your 6.4L packing JT up here, and tow at capacity up 70 in July. I'll meet you around the Evergreen exit.