Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 JTR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Hot Dog Vendor
My base 5 is windows I think, jk..or am I?. I wish I could get a 16s radio and swap it. My prior jeep had no radio issues, Panasonic had made those back then, Jeep cares told me they have someone else now days making them
lol yeah, prob based on vista! I meant the new software version 5, not the current 5" version.

Really?? Currently have the 8.4 UC and had it in my previous Grand Cherokee. Frequent freezes, flake-outs and flat out crashes to the point I couldn't use anything. This really sucked in the winter not having access to any heater controls. The Sync 3 in my 2017 F-150 was way more stable and reliable. Two years and not a single issue.
Yours doesn't have dedicated a/c or heat controls? Or do those not work if the UC crashes?
Sponsored

Wkyfiregladdy

First Name
Jordan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
Occupation
Mechanic
Probably a shortage of some kind. I couldn't order the slush mats with mine because they don't plan on getting anymore before December. No big deal though, I can just order them myself.
I could be possibly wrong on this one but when I ordered a wrangler Sahara altitude for my wife in July they had closed the 3.6 orders so Gupton said my only option was 2.0t or diesel…. He said I could go with high altitude though…. Went with 2.0 because I didn’t want diesel for wife or the high altitude…

anyways my theory is as we get closer and closer to end of production of 2021 vehicles, they close out more and more options to keep it more simple or maybe there are only parts ordered for so many to be built at end of year and so many orders have been made with that option, I did order beginning of July and hers is just now being built!

869 KPH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 JTR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Hot Dog Vendor
... my theory is as we get closer and closer to end of production of 2021 vehicles, they close out more and more options to keep it more simple or maybe there are only parts ordered for so many to be built at end of year and so many orders have been made with that option, I did order beginning of July and hers is just now being built!
Oh I like this idea too. Maybe the proximitry chips only work with UC 4 and they've switched to manufacturing/stockpiling ones that work with UC5 and are running out of the old version.

spectre6000

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
pending
Re: competition. I know I'm a fraction of a tiny marginal minority here, but the JT is the only truck other than the ZR2 to come from the factory with lockers front and rear. Where I live, I have occasion a few times a year to need at least one of those just to get out of the driveway. I could build a Tacoma, but then I'd know I gave someone money for the insult that is the current production Tacoma. Nissan has pretty much always been an also-ran, and for the last several years has been in such dire straits as a company. I had a Peugeot style market exit on the possibilities chart for Nissan for a few years there, though this has lessened recently. I bought a '19 ZR2 Bison diesel (no diesel JT at the time, and dealers were being dicks about pricing still since it had just hit the street). I had to replace the radio, two steering wheels, and then the engine was guzzling oil with such a timing/interval that GM wouldn't cover it under warranty. That leaves JT as the only contender in the market for my use case. EDIT: I realize the Ranger isn't mentioned; I have a history with Ford, and they're the solitary denizen of the "never again" list.

All this talk about fun stuff coming out market-wide in '23 makes me think maybe I should wait for '23... Only half kidding. With my wife and I both working from home full time, we downsized to a single car, and it only gets driven once or twice a week. If we had two cars in our current paradigm (still less than we had before downsizing), we'd be struggling to get miles on them to keep batteries/tires charged/inflated. I don't see much changing in that scenario until at least spring based on what can currently be known re: vaccines for young children. I'm in no real rush, but as a car guy whose only available car is the wife's daily, it eats me a bit.

Jerhemi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sting-Gray Willys
I had the Sync in my 2015 F150. It was good, but I remember not being impressed with it and it freezing on occasion. The 8.4” UC in my 2019 JL was great, and I hope for the same for my 2021 JT arriving soon. Over the years, the UConnect system has received positive reviews In the industry. I was interested in the upcoming version 5, but not enough to hold off any longer on ordering my JT.
I liked the fact that you could do all sorts of stuff from the phone ap, which was a no charge extra. FWIW mine was a 2017, not sure if it was the same sync. I do like the Uconnect so far, I wish you could use the phone ap for free. Only real gripe is the speaker that I mentioned above.

Sponsored

lrtexasman

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tahoe
So you're predicting Gladiator sales decline by 20k annually once the new Frontier is on lots? Or just that 20k folks will look at the Frontier but not buy it?

Your hypothetical Frontier defector is a purchaser who:
*doesn't care about a removable roof
*doesn't care about removable doors
*doesn't care about a manual transmission
*doesn't care about a solid front axle
*doesn't care about a modification scene that is conservatively 10x the size of the Frontier's
*doesn't care about the larger dealer network
*doesn't care about buying from an American company and/or the '1941' heritage
*irrespective about any of the above, don't care about driving a vehicle that looks especially capable, even if those capabilities are never used
*and, most importantly, is a buyer not aren't already cross-shopping the Tacoma and Colorado instead and never looking at the Jeep in the first place.

Who exactly are these buyers supposed to be? They're not just mall crawlers since the whole point of the mall crawler is they desire a certain look a more ordinary truck or SUV isn't giving them.

Furthermore, why is MSRP the relevant point of comparison given our hypothetical buyer taking the time to cross-shop could easily take the time to get a Gladiator for thousands under MSRP in most markets?

But say we do use MSRP, and so we need to compare a Gladiator Sport S vs the Frontier Pro-4x. As an off-road vehicle I'm still not sure the Frontier comes out ahead. A Sport S has considerably better combined approach/breakover/departure angles, A Sport S is narrower on the trail. A Sport S has better ground clearance. The Pro-4x has larger tires and the locker, but all-in-all I'm not sure it would actually beat out a Sport S on a trail

Jeep is going to have to step up their game over the Frontier as much as they stepped it up for the Xterra, which is none. Or maybe I'm wrong and that "rear seat armrest" is going to really swing things :)
____

I'm being snotty here because I think the 20k number above is a wild exaggeration unless it means something as innocuous as "20k buyers will be aware the Frontier exists." But all that said I absolutely concede that for a buyer who wants 'just a truck' and who doesn't care about any of the Jeep-specific features of a Gladiator the Frontier is a better choice. But for that guy or gal every other midsize truck is a better choice and already has been since Gladiator launched. I therefore don't think on the margin the new Frontier represents any sort of threat that moves the needle for Jeep at all. And, based on 20 years of history, I think upper trim Frontier models aren't really going to represent much of a threat to any vehicle given the pricing overlap with the hyper-competitive full-size truck offerings on the market.
Your right, I don’t give two crudes about most of what you find important and that’s cool. Everyone has choices. A true Jeeper or hard core off-roader won’t think twice about the Frontier. TBH, In my ownership experiences, I have found Jeep and Nissan to both have terrible dealer networks. In fact, Jeep has the worst service department experience of any brand I have owned.

I responded to your comment that only two people are cross shopping the Gladiator and the 22 Frontier. My point is that’s going to be more like 20k people than two, due to the value. The Frontier sold 79k trucks in 2018 and 72k trucks in 2019 on a 15/16 year old body style. Don’t sleep on the numbers or Nissan loyalist. Gladiators best year was 2020 with 79k sales.

The Frontier Pro4X actually has a better break over angle (18.9 vrs 18.4) than the Sport S. A Sport S built to the base Frontier Pro4X is at least 7k more (about 46k). In fact, a buyer can get a fully loaded Pro4X with premium, technology, and convenience packages that add leather, sunroof, 360 camera, bedliner, adaptive cruise, and a trail camera for less than a Sport S built to a base Pro4X. Buyers will jump ship if Jeep doesn’t step it up. Jeep needs to make the following Standard on Sport S and up: LED package, 7" monitor, safety package 1, auto transmission and hardtop (delete credit for manual), and rear seat arm rest/cup holder. Rubicon/Mojave should get all that plus 8.4 and steel bumpers standard.

I’m like many buyers who are not brand loyal. Our garage is diverse, it consists of Tundra Crew 4x4, Dodge Charger, Lincoln Nautilus, Mazda CX 5, and Rogue Sport. We are like many families that go with what’s best for them and what they want to do. I am like many owners who will remove their hardtop and doors less than a handful of times during ownership. In fact, I’d rather not deal with the extra road noise, wind noise, and leaky gutter if I could avoid it entirely. Also like many, I only do basic off road stuff which does not require a solid front axle or front lockers. Meaning I’d prefer to do without the wandering and electric steering (Frontier has hydraulic) worries if I could. I like the Gladiator because it’s a capable mid size pickup and wouldn’t think twice about buying a better mid-size truck of another brand.

Last edited:

Kevin_D

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sport S, 1971 J4000, a bunch of other stuff
I really liked the sync system in my F150 as well. Uconnect seems decent so far, I hate the isolated/separate(?) speaker for the navigation though.
Really?
I haven’t driven one with nav, but when I use navigation from my phone, the announcements come from the left front speakers.

Kevin

flsupraguy

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Your right, I don’t give two crudes about most of what you find important and that’s cool. Everyone has choices. A true Jeeper or hard core off-roader won’t think twice about the Frontier. TBH, In my ownership experiences, I have found Jeep and Nissan to both have terrible dealer networks. In fact, Jeep has the worst service department experience of any brand I have owned.

I responded to your comment that only two people are cross shopping the Gladiator and the 22 Frontier. My point is that’s going to be more like 20k people than two, due to the value. The Frontier sold 79k trucks in 2018 and 72k trucks in 2019 on a 15/16 year old body style. Don’t sleep on the numbers or Nissan loyalist. Gladiators best year was 2020 with 79k sales.

The Frontier Pro4X actually has a better break over angle (18.9 vrs 18.4) than the Sport S. A Sport S built to the base Frontier Pro4X is at least 7k more (about 46k). In fact, a buyer can get a fully loaded Pro4X with premium, technology, and convenience packages that add leather, sunroof, 360 camera, bedliner, adaptive cruise, and a trail camera for less than a Sport S built to a base Pro4X. Buyers will jump ship if Jeep doesn’t step it up. Jeep needs to make the following Standard on Sport S and up: LED package, 7" monitor, safety package 1, auto transmission and hardtop (delete credit for manual), and rear seat arm rest/cup holder. Rubicon/Mojave should get all that plus 8.4 and steel bumpers standard.

I’m like many buyers who are not brand loyal. Our garage is diverse, it consists of Tundra Crew 4x4, Dodge Charger, Lincoln Nautilus, Mazda CX 5, and Rogue Sport. We are like many families that go with what’s best for them and what they want to do. I am like many owners who will remove their hardtop and doors less than a handful of times during ownership. In fact, I’d rather not deal with the extra road noise, wind noise, and leaky gutter if I could avoid it entirely. Also like many, I only do basic off road stuff which does not require a solid front axle or front lockers. Meaning I’d prefer to do without the wandering and electric steering (Frontier has hydraulic) worries if I could. I like the Gladiator because it’s a capable mid size pickup and wouldn’t think twice about buying a better mid-size truck of another brand.
Other then the Tundra that seems like a lot of bad decisions LOL

Espo774

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL rubicon
Anyone have any new info on MY22 gladiators?

I’ll be sure to check out the frontier on Nissan’s site if I ever care….

Let’s get back on topic…?

Sponsored

869 KPH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 JTR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Hot Dog Vendor
Anyone have any new info on MY22 gladiators?

I’ll be sure to check out the frontier on Nissan’s site if I ever care….

Let’s get back on topic…?
Nah. You're still on the right channel, it's just like that 2 - 5 AM stretch where all that's on is weird infomercials. MY22 stuff will show back up here when it exists. Otherwise, just enjoy the show.

Jeep Gladiator 2022 Rumors? 1631494119415

Jeep Gladiator 2022 Rumors? 1631494175929

Garemlin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Nacho Willys Gladiator
lol yeah, prob based on vista! I meant the new software version 5, not the current 5" version.

Yours doesn't have dedicated a/c or heat controls? Or do those not work if the UC crashes?
My Grand Cherokee did not. Only thing that had dedicated controls were the temp and fan. But you couldn't tell what the temp was when the UC crashed. Couldn't control the heated seats or steering wheel either.

sunrise089

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Higher Ed
The GM twins will be all brand new in 2023 as well. Sure you can’t remove the doors or roof but it appears an equally optioned truck is 10k or more cheaper for what would be the oldest model in the segment is a hard pill to swallow. A revised baby dmax and the 2.7L that makes 310 / 420 in a midsize with more than likely great fuel economy is enticing .

I want a Gladiator because I like the looks and always wanted a Jeep truck. But I’m not going to spend more than what I can get a ZR2 for just cause “it’s a Jeep” and I’m still disappointed in the power train options. I’m hoping there’s a 4xe or v8 option for 2022.
All fair. Convertibles cost $5k premium in the market, or more. Style-forward vehicles often do too. Totally sensible that you don’t want to pay the premium. My contention is just someone with your stated preferences here is already not buying a Gladiator, nothing the new Frontier is bringing to the table is changing the calculus.