First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Electrical foreman
Like I said, I'll agree to disagree. Don't care what the top speed is, it has no bearing on anything. I don't believe in pushing the motor and using most of its available power. So that's it. Drive how you choose and that's fine. I'll hog up the slow lane and be just as happy. People can be different and draw different conclusions from the same data, right?
Absolutely, not judging your decision to gear deep. For your use and the way you drive it seems to work. As someone who drives at the upper end of western freeway speed limits regularly I hated our 2019 jlur with 38s when we geared it down to 5.38s. Picked up nothing 0-60 and was in 8th at any speed over 40mph. Even our 2022 stock xr gearing (4.56s) with the factory 35s felt like it needed another gear on the freeway. It now rides on 39s and works great even crawling thanks to the 4-1 transfer case. My JTM on the factory 4.10s and 37s sees 8th often enough for me and being most of its off roading is in the desert at 50-80mph I have no need for lower gears there either. Use case and how someone drives is huge. The fact is this 8 speed has such a low 1st gear and double overdrives so we can pretty much run any gears adequately.
Sponsored

Sw00per

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mojave
I'll go take some pics. Rear view is fine... Can see easily through rear cap window. Definitely a limit on blind spots visibility, a couple feet out from rear quarter panels while sitting in driver's seat. Keep in mind I have the cap with metal sides, not glass, so I knew that was going to be a factor. Bottom line is rear view is solid with no material impacts, side view limited
Looking forward to it. A reseller is close so it can be shipped for free. On a side note I happened across a few YouTube videos of the smart cap\decked combo that appears to provide the secure storage and versatility without too much weight.

Flyin6

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Website
real-man-truckworks-and-survival.com
Vehicle(s)
22AEV JT, 22 Ram 3500, Suburban 2500, 22 Caddy XT6
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Aviator (military) Commercial pilot, rotary and fixed wing, Writer
Absolutely, not judging your decision to gear deep. For your use and the way you drive it seems to work. As someone who drives at the upper end of western freeway speed limits regularly I hated our 2019 jlur with 38s when we geared it down to 5.38s. Picked up nothing 0-60 and was in 8th at any speed over 40mph. Even our 2022 stock xr gearing (4.56s) with the factory 35s felt like it needed another gear on the freeway. It now rides on 39s and works great even crawling thanks to the 4-1 transfer case. My JTM on the factory 4.10s and 37s sees 8th often enough for me and being most of its off roading is in the desert at 50-80mph I have no need for lower gears there either. Use case and how someone drives is huge. The fact is this 8 speed has such a low 1st gear and double overdrives so we can pretty much run any gears adequately.
Seems as though we have developed a thread within a thread!

Cool

I have yet to get to anything larger than a 37" tire. The difference between you and me, the largest difference, is that you live in 4WD Adventure heaven! I live in Kentucky where we have the KAT (Kentucky Adventure Trail), the Daniel Boone National Forest, and some other less significant stuff. Zero running at speed and I also seldom get into low range lock/lock. I just prod along in high range and my 37" KM's. I confess I still love it.

Having said that, my trails will peg your fun meter at 5 all day and night. This past summer we wheeled in Red River NM, then up into the San Juan range...HOLY CRAP! FM off the scale somewhere above 10! I mean I was just smitten with the glory and beauty of that stuff. I did manage to get along on aired-down KM's but identified the need for some more protection.

My Jeep experience goes back a ways too. Started with my first brand new CJ7. The last one before this JTR was a JKUR. honestly, I hated that thing, just no power. With me (subjective) I guess engine output has always been a significant factor. Not limited to Jeeps I have driven Land Rovers on several continents, an FJ40 in the US and an FJ-pickup something in Asia, a couple of fords, a SAS Tundra, some other Toyotas, a highly modded Surburban, and so forth.

With all that experience behind me, this JTR is my pick of the litter, although an FJ-80 built right might steal the crown, Dunno...yet.

Most of our discussion orbits around one's subjective interpretation of the information. No wrong answer, really.

See you out on the trail (If you're in Wyoming around the oneth of July ish...;-)

Tuggernuts

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram 1500
Occupation
Truck driver
If it was as awful as you say, I would have a hard time believing that AEV would regear it to an undesireable or useless gear ratio. Yeah, we'll have to disagree for now. Might have to take my Mojave to Michigan to let htem add more AEV parts on it to better match the JL, but I love it in nearly stock form.
Most of the AEV equipped gladiators are sold with k02 37s which are basically 35s. Very light. 4.56 gears would handle these fine as long as the overall weight of the vehicle isn't out of control. You add aftermarket crap and gear and you'll be wishing you had 5.13.
Sponsored