First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 JT Mojave, '23 GC Summit Reserve,'23 AEV JL370
Build Thread
Link
If it was as awful as you say, I would have a hard time believing that AEV would regear it to an undesireable or useless gear ratio. Yeah, we'll have to disagree for now. Might have to take my Mojave to Michigan to let htem add more AEV parts on it to better match the JL, but I love it in nearly stock form.
Sponsored

KidBobot

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Gladiator Mojave, 17 Sienna, 92 VW Cabriolet
Got any pics of the rear?

Flyin6

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Website
real-man-truckworks-and-survival.com
Vehicle(s)
22AEV JT, 22 Ram 3500, Suburban 2500, 22 Caddy XT6
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Aviator (military) Commercial pilot, rotary and fixed wing, Writer
Huh? I respectfully disagree with your disagree (I'm having fun, don't get upset)

I have 37x12.50x17 BFG KO2's on stock 7.5 wheels. 3.6 Gas. At 55mph I am in 8th gear. Even on slight hills if I feather the gas to maintain speed it will stay in 8th. Granted I'm in Florida and everyone will say we don't have hills here. So, yes I've ventured out of state and traveled I75 and I95 North. A cruise speed of 72mph I will stay on 8th until a hill and it will then drop down to 7th. Never seen 6th except on a couple of bigger ones.
Mine not so. Now that I have removed as much weight as possible from it (around 250 lbs). It will only remain in 8th on level ground and below 72 indicated mph. My overland setup is more draggy than a non-RTT setup and with the tiny available power margin, this motor provides, mine will hunt 7-8th a lot. On inclines, it will drop to 6th and even 5th if I am further west where elevations get to 2,000 MSL and above. In mountain driving like around Silverton CO., I will only see 7th and 8th going downhill.

Last edited:

Flyin6

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Website
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
If it was as awful as you say, I would have a hard time believing that AEV would regear it to an undesireable or useless gear ratio. Yeah, we'll have to disagree for now. Might have to take my Mojave to Michigan to let htem add more AEV parts on it to better match the JL, but I love it in nearly stock form.
I wondered the same thing myself, so I researched the issue, and even talked to AEV about it. Know what I discovered? Turns out their gear supplier ended at 4.56, or at least that is what one of the largest gear suppliers in the nation told me about them. Can't remember who their vendor was, but 4.56 was as deep as they could get and it had to do something with supply and price point. That person at the major gear vendor is an upper echelon manager and is a friend of mine. When I first posted I had purchased an AEV and the 4.56 thing, he contacted me privately and told me the story. He said my truck was very much under-geared. He said they would not recommend that setup at all. I checked that with the local big over-lander Jeep store, Hi-Lift. They confirmed. 5.13 was the minimum for good performance.

Story continues. During my adventures this year, I stopped at one of the bigger overland shops in North Carolina to check out their builds. A sales guy was showing me their overlanded-out build. It had 37's and stock Ruby 4.10 gears. They confided in me that it was a dog to drive. So I tossed him the keys to mine. After returning he told me my JT was a hot rod compared to theirs and they were ordering 5.13's right away.

Not making this up. The community of guys I know who hard-core overland and show their trucks all run 5.13 or 5.38 because of the low power at highway speeds.

But it doesn't matter to me what anyone chooses to believe. I only offer information I believe to be factual that I can verify.

Last edited:

Warped

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 JT Mojave, '23 GC Summit Reserve,'23 AEV JL370
Build Thread
Link
I wondered the same thing myself, so I researched the issue, and even talked to AEV about it. Know what I discovered? Turns out their gear supplier ended at 4.56, or at least that is what one of the largest gear suppliers in the nation told me about them. Can't remember who their vendor was, but 4.56 was as deep as they could get and it had to do something with supply and price point. That person at the major gear vendor is an upper echelon manager and is a friend of mine. When I first posted I had purchased an AEV and the 4.56 thing, he contacted me privately and told me the story. He said my truck was very much under-geared. He said they would not recommend that setup at all. I checked that with the local big over-lander Jeep store, Hi-Lift. They confirmed. 5.13 was the minimum for good performance.

Story continues. During my adventures this year, I stopped at one of the bigger overland shops in North Carolina to check out their builds. A sales guy was showing me their overlanded-out build. It had 37's and stock Ruby 4.10 gears. They confided in me that it was a dog to drive. So I tossed him the keys to mine. After returning he told me my JT was a hot rod compared to theirs and they were ordering 5.13's right away.

Not making this up. The community of guys I know who hard-core overland and show their trucks all run 5.13 or 5.38 because of the low power at highway speeds.

But it doesn't matter to me what anyone chooses to believe. I only offer information I believe to be factual that I can verify.
Just realize that that not everyone has a full overland set up or all of the extra weight and drag that comes with it like your rig. This is what makes yours so much in need of the extra regear than my JL370. Thanks for the info from some source at AEV.

Sponsored

Flyin6

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Website
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Just realize that that not everyone has a full overland set up or all of the extra weight and drag that comes with it like your rig. This is what makes yours so much in need of the extra regear than my JL370. Thanks for the info from some source at AEV.
Copy that! Concur on your points.

And regarding the weight, although I purchased an AEV, I discovered that that AEV stuff is way overweight. Check out my build thread and you can see me remove and weighed the AEV stuff when I replaced it with aftermarket stuff. Although I own one I am no fan of AEV.

That front bumper was more than a hundred pounds more than the replacement. Then those lights, nice as they are, are really heavy. I replaced them with lights that were 3 lbs each.
The suspension is a bracket kit with Bilstein springs and some springs. I replaced that with Clayton stuff and Falcon 3.3's. Much better off-road now.

Getting a little opinionated here and perhaps a bit editorial, My apologies... But the engine bone is connected to the suspension bone which is connected to the bones behind the steering wheel, so I tend to address the truck as a system.

You are correct about an overland setup being heavy and draggy, especially in a JT vs a JL. We JT owners need to do everything we can to get performance and since we can't add horsepower all that remains is weight reduction. I really can't over-emphasize the need for a 5.13 gear with 37's or a 4.88 with 35's.

I was so disappointed at one point with the highway drive manners that I was going to opt for a $35K Hemi 6.4. Then common sense set in and I just sucked it up and realized I will not enjoy the ride to/from the areas I overland. But the flip side is that on the trail, I do not believe there is a better overlander than a JT. I've driven Landcruiser's, (various varieties including the pickup). Had a cool Defender 110 diesel in Kandahar. I've driven Land Rovers off road there and in Europe, Asia (several spots) Prados, and Hi-Lux trucks in South America and Asia and none of them are as good in my opinion as the Gladiator. Therefore despite the lack of a great engine, I will call myself satisfied with the truck, perhaps even happy.

OP
OP

cajun

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Gladiator Mojave, 20 JLUR, 18 JLUS
Got any pics of the rear?
Sure thing. Let me see if I can dig them up on my phone and if not I'll take some in the daylight tomorrow for you.

OP
OP

cajun

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Gladiator Mojave, 20 JLUR, 18 JLUS
Sure thing. Let me see if I can dig them up on my phone and if not I'll take some in the daylight tomorrow for you.
I found them quicker than I thought. I have detailed pictures all the way around so let me know if you want anything else.

20231220_113321.jpg

20231220_113327.jpg

T-Rock

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Mohave; 2020 WK2 Trailhawk
Copy that! Concur on your points.

And regarding the weight, although I purchased an AEV, I discovered that that AEV stuff is way overweight. Check out my build thread and you can see me remove and weighed the AEV stuff when I replaced it with aftermarket stuff. Although I own one I am no fan of AEV.

That front bumper was more than a hundred pounds more than the replacement. Then those lights, nice as they are, are really heavy. I replaced them with lights that were 3 lbs each.
The suspension is a bracket kit with Bilstein springs and some springs. I replaced that with Clayton stuff and Falcon 3.3's. Much better off-road now.

Getting a little opinionated here and perhaps a bit editorial, My apologies... But the engine bone is connected to the suspension bone which is connected to the bones behind the steering wheel, so I tend to address the truck as a system.

You are correct about an overland setup being heavy and draggy, especially in a JT vs a JL. We JT owners need to do everything we can to get performance and since we can't add horsepower all that remains is weight reduction. I really can't over-emphasize the need for a 5.13 gear with 37's or a 4.88 with 35's.

I was so disappointed at one point with the highway drive manners that I was going to opt for a $35K Hemi 6.4. Then common sense set in and I just sucked it up and realized I will not enjoy the ride to/from the areas I overland. But the flip side is that on the trail, I do not believe there is a better overlander than a JT. I've driven Landcruiser's, (various varieties including the pickup). Had a cool Defender 110 diesel in Kandahar. I've driven Land Rovers off road there and in Europe, Asia (several spots) Prados, and Hi-Lux trucks in South America and Asia and none of them are as good in my opinion as the Gladiator. Therefore despite the lack of a great engine, I will call myself satisfied with the truck, perhaps even happy.
My 21 JT Mojave, with 35x12.5x17 KO2's, a SmartCap & Frontrunner rack, OVS 270 awning and Decked drawer system never reaches 8th gear other than on a big downhill. I really want to get the stock 4.10 gears swapped out. To much to do, so little cash lol!

Sw00per

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mojave
My 21 JT Mojave, with 35x12.5x17 KO2's, a SmartCap & Frontrunner rack, OVS 270 awning and Decked drawer system never reaches 8th gear other than on a big downhill. I really want to get the stock 4.10 gears swapped out. To much to do, so little cash lol!
Can you estimate the additional weight you have added. I am asking because @Flyin6 got me thinking about weight & optimal gearing.

I am considering the decked system which I think is a +200lbs not to mention a rack system and upgraded from and rear bumpers over time and based on use requirements.

I am currently running BFG K02 35" (c rated) and have no issues getting 8th but that would change once I added the decked system I suspect.

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored

Flyin6

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Website
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
I feel ya man. You'll love the 5.13's!

Flyin6

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Website
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Can you estimate the additional weight you have added. I am asking because @Flyin6 got me thinking about weight & optimal gearing.

I am considering the decked system which I think is a +200lbs not to mention a rack system and upgraded from and rear bumpers over time and based on use requirements.

I am currently running BFG K02 35" (c rated) and have no issues getting 8th but that would change once I added the decked system I suspect.

Thanks in advance.
Not to hyjack but check out my build thread in my signature or on this site. I document the changes as I pull all sorts of unnecessary weight off the truck. The truck may have a bunch of stuff you don't need.

Last edited:

T-Rock

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Mohave; 2020 WK2 Trailhawk

Thanks in advance.
My estimate :
* SmartCap = @ 200lbs
* Decked = @ 200lbs
* Frontrunner rack = @55lbs
* OVS Nomadic 270 Awning = 70 lbs
* tools, recovery gear, etc inside the Decked = @100lbs
My estimated total additional weight is @ 625 lbs day to day

I add more water, camping/cooking gear, fridge, & people & dogs on top of that for some adventures. Probably overloading at times, haven't weighed it so if I don't know it didn't happen lol

MattK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator (JTR)
Very nice looking truck! Very clean and that's my style too. I like ARB's front bumper as it has those rounded lines. Personally, I do not like the rear bumper as much, but it looks to provide good footing for standing on as it seems to stick out further and maybe lower than the stock bumper?

A+!
Sponsored